Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Microsoft Stops XP Shipments; Win8 Details Emerge

Just read about this:http://www.infopackets.com/news/business/microsoft/2010/20101025_microsoft_stops_xp_shipments_win8_details_emerge.htm

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Just read about this:http://www.infopackets.com/news/business/microsoft/2010/20101025_microsoft_stops_xp_shipments_win8_details_emerge.htm
HelloFrom this point on MS will do everything possible to kill off XP.The OS has not died of natural causes as MS hoped so now it has to be helped on its way.Meanwhile that stunning success Windows 7 has just struggled to overtake Vista a year after release with circa 15% of market share.So for now Windows XP remains the worlds favourite OS at circa 60% falling on average 1% per month.Windows 8 is due in two years, without MS killing XP by whatever means at there disposal it is doubtful if Windows 7 would catch up to XP before being scrapped itself.Sourcehttp://www.windows7news.com/2010/09/02/windows-7-charging-market-share/

Why the surprise? XP has been superceded by Vista and Windows7 and is now obsolescent - just like Windows 3.1, 95, 98, ME, and 2000 Microsoft made its position clear a while ago by announcing that support for Windows XP SP2 would end in July of this year, and for Windows XP SP3 by April 2014.

Hi.Twenty years ago Britain had a revolution in thinking when the then Japanese ethos of making and selling what customers want became popular. In my naivete I honestly thought the world was getting something right for a change.The world has back-slid since then to a stone-aged insistence on forcing people to buy what we want to make.My apologies to any marketing consultants who read this post but we really don't need to tinker with stuff that works and definitely don't need to upgrade every six months simply to justify suits' salaries.Gimme XP any day (I still have a PC running Win 98 SE for the old stuff).D

Why the surprise? XP has been superceded by Vista and Windows7 and is now obsolescent - just like Windows 3.1, 95, 98, ME, and 2000 Microsoft made its position clear a while ago by announcing that support for Windows XP SP2 would end in July of this year, and for Windows XP SP3 by April 2014.
HelloMy point is that it has not been superseded or is obsolete, microsoft has extended the downgrade rights from W7 and Vista back to XP till 2020 they just don't shout it from the rooftops.Source http://www.techspot.com/news/39619-windows-xp-downgrade-rights-extended-until-2020-%5Bupdated%5D.htmlFacts are that W7 like Vista is struggling in the market place with large corporations..The market shares are there for all to see and it would seem that W7 will be obsolete before it even gets 50% of XP's market at the current rate of adoption.The company I work for (in the top 4 largest in the world) has only just moved to Office 2007, I doubt I will see Office 2010 or W7 in there before I retire.MS will be able to force the typical home user over when they buy their new PC at christmas.The same user will probably buy a new PC when W8 comes around but the mega corporations just want an OS framework to support their very expensive custom applications which XP does very well.

Twenty years ago Britain had a revolution in thinking when the then Japanese ethos of making and selling what customers want became popular. In my naivete I honestly thought the world was getting something right for a change.
That's the last thing the Japanese did. In reality they offered products with new features that buyers didn't know they wanted at a reasonable but premium price. Once they were established in the market, they changed their product line up with bewildering rapidity - far more frequently than Microsoft has changed Windows.
My point is that it has not been superseded or is obsolete...Facts are that W7 like Vista is struggling in the market place with large corporations..The market shares are there for all to see and it would seem that W7 will be obsolete before it even gets 50% of XP's market at the current rate of adoption.
It has obviously been superseded and is obsoploscent - I chose my word carefully.XP was released in 2001 - Ford, for example, doesn't still offer its 2001 version of the Mondeo. It sold the Mk1 from 1993 - 1996, the Mk 2 from 1996 - 2000, the Mk 3 from 2000-2007, and the Mk 4 from 2007. Each Mark superseded its predecessor and rendered it obsolescent.The facts are that it's surely naive to think that any company with a new product will continue to sell its old products in competition with itself.

That's the last thing the Japanese did. In reality they offered products with new features that buyers didn't know they wanted at a reasonable but premium price. Once they were established in the market, they changed their product line up with bewildering rapidity - far more frequently than Microsoft has changed Windows.It has obviously been superseded and is obsoploscent - I chose my word carefully.XP was released in 2001 - Ford, for example, doesn't still offer its 2001 version of the Mondeo. It sold the Mk1 from 1993 - 1996, the Mk 2 from 1996 - 2000, the Mk 3 from 2000-2007, and the Mk 4 from 2007. Each Mark superseded its predecessor and rendered it obsolescent.The facts are that it's surely naive to think that any company with a new product will continue to sell its old products in competition with itself.
HelloFair points but each subsequent version of the mondeo went on to outsell it predecessor and therein lies Microsofts problem, it no longer works that way with OS software or Flightsim for that matter. I am happily running FS9 on XP64 screaming along on an old E8600 @4ghz and will be as long as my hardware does not break down.I have jumped off the hardware/os roundabout and it is a nice feeling not constantly wanting the latest stuff.posted from my i-Fly 737 midway between EGLL and LEMH.Have great day.

Windows XP.In my view Windows XP is the best and most stable operating system that MS has ever produced. The two newer options are, as ever, reported to have numerous problems. I suppose `Don`t buy until at least patch 2`still holds good it seems ! Windows 8? (Wait till patch 2 !)I have bought a retail copy of Windows XP Professional inc servicePack 2 and I have a hard copy of Service Pack 3.........just in case I get superceded !Dave dry.gif

i have yet to find anything 'wrong' or 'a problem' with winXP. the OS is stable ... the dirvers are stable ... and FS WORKS GREAT! why 'upgrade' to an OS that continues to have issues and makes working with FS problematic.here is a thought ... FS9 and/or FSX may not run on 'win8'.

I have bought a retail copy of Windows XP Professional inc servicePack 2 and I have a hard copy of Service Pack 3.........just in case I get superceded !
i've done the same.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

i have yet to find anything 'wrong' or 'a problem' with winXP. the OS is stable ... the dirvers are stable ... and FS WORKS GREAT! why 'upgrade' to an OS that continues to have issues and makes working with FS problematic.here is a thought ... FS9 and/or FSX may not run on 'win8'. i've done the same.--
Odd - I've switched both my FS (FS9 and FSX) machines to Win7 x64 Pro and have had zero issues. The OS is smooth, easy to use, and faster than XP - it also allows drivers to run in 'user' rather than 'kernal' mode, so that if one has issues the entire system doesn't drop dead. The only drawback is that 16 bit software won't run on a 64 bit system; so I ditched the single app (obsolete) that had that problem.With regard to the OP's original link regarding Win8, if you read it carefully you will discover that there is still no real information regarding the next OS except an unsubstantiated rumor that MS will offer something similar to iTunes store. Since they are releasing a Win7 based phone I wouldn't be surprised if that is true - however, its impact on FS or the user is nil. There is no grounds whatsoever for thinking that FS9/FSX may not run on Win8 and every reason to believe that it will. I've used every Win OS (I'm a software developer) that MS has ever released and every single one of them has had improvements over the previous generation - even Vista.DJ

I got started in PC gaming and using computers in a weird time. I had used my brothers 386 back in the mid 80's  with DOS and couldn't really understand it. I did learn some basic commands, but it really didn't click so to speak. He then got DOS Shell and that made it a bit easier to use a PC. Fast forward to 2000 when I finally bought a PC of my own and it came with 98SE. It didn't take long for me to figure it out. Since then I have used everything released except Me and it took me a long time before I even upgraded to XP from 2000. I too have seen the changes, some good, some not so good and enjoy the new OSes. Now, I also bought Office 2007 with the free upgrade to 2010 earlier this year, but the problem is, the company I work for still uses XP and Office 2003 so I have to make sure I save Office files in the format that they use else wise, they will not be able to open them. It is a bit of a hassle but it's manageable. When will they upgrade? Hard to say, GE still hasn't released new drivers that I know of so we can download information from the Krautkramer DMS2 ultrasonic thickness machines we use for a newer OS. Still, there are many reasons why a company still holds on to older software. MS can't help it when things are out of a potential customer's hands. Just because MS discontinues XP doesn't mean that companies will run out and buy a new OS.

ng_driver.jpg

Supporter GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

WhiteKnight77's Place

Mike Shannon

Guest veeray

You all know you can just as easily buy Windows 7 and run XP under a virtual machine. MS supplies the VM and the XP ISO, couldn't be easier. And it's free. Now if they could apply the VM concept to the FSX aircraft files.. we could be using addons indefinitely.

Just my input on this subject matter. Maybe finally it will start causing the dropping of development for DX9 and start with actually going pure DX10/11, with 10 being the legacy at this point. DX9 has been holding gaming back for years. We really haven't seen anywhere near as much of a leap of PC games over console games in recent years compared to even the PS2/Xbox Original/Gamecube days because people have been sticking with DX9 and XP and thus developers won't focus on taking advantage of the new technology.

Just my input on this subject matter. Maybe finally it will start causing the dropping of development for DX9 and start with actually going pure DX10/11, with 10 being the legacy at this point. DX9 has been holding gaming back for years. We really haven't seen anywhere near as much of a leap of PC games over console games in recent years compared to even the PS2/Xbox Original/Gamecube days because people have been sticking with DX9 and XP and thus developers won't focus on taking advantage of the new technology.
Exactly what I was going to say.XP is relying on some very old technology and this is holding back games - because yes, outside FS, there are other games being produced. Regarding FS, I've had no issues running FS9 or FSX on Windows 7. Sure, calling up the menubar in FS9 doesn't work in the most elegant way, but there are ways around this problem. I personally wouldn't want to go back to XP. Windows 7 is just as stable for me.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Guest veeray

It would just be nice if the SDK and the Runtime match this time....