Sign in to follow this  
ahinterl

Not impressed so far...

What MS is presenting on their Flight web site hasn't impressed me so far. What I see there make me assume this:-) There's a clear trend towards fun and game style flying using uncomplicated air race type planes.-) Scenery isn't that different from what is already present in FSX.-) An emphasis is given to virtual cockpits.I have no doubt that despite Flight seems to aim arcade style gamers, developers like PMDG will still be able to create high level add on products. The trend towards VCs isn't appealing to me since I never got used to them even after trying with head tracking devices, so I can only hope Flight will still support 2D cockpits and that developers respect "2D pilots". I miss "ground breaking" advances in the scenery area in the videos like sloped runways and stuff similar to what is planned for X-plane 10.Maybe FS reached a point where the gaming aspects of the software get prioritized and the freaky "serious" simmers like myself, flying heavy iron "as real as it gets" are abandoned as a minority. Maybe X-Plane will become a viable alternative in the future...

Interesting how so much can be gleaned from so little.

- Aaron

-) There's a clear trend towards fun and game style flying using uncomplicated air race type planes.
Wasn't the J3 Cub kind of the show piece for FS2004 back when? You can't draw credible conclusion like this just based on the one plane they chose to showcase with.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

An emphasis is given to virtual cockpits.
I'm confused as to how you came to this conclusion and why it is a bad thing. What do you mean by this exactly? You don't think theres going to be a 2D cockpit? Spot view?I'm going to assume that you said this because they didn't use any 2D cockpits in the video, and if I made the videos I know I certainly wouldn't either, whats to show off about a 2D cockpit?

I have to say, given a the scenery addons for FSX that are currently available, the new version of MS flight doesnt look to be a step forward in design.But i suppose its early days, and anyway i would think there will be more scenery addons released for it to further enhance the experience.Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Here we go again.Round and round in ever decreasing circles..The dammed thing ain't out yet. Every other speculative post can be read further down the forum.Its all been discussed ENDLESSLY Ad-Nauseam before.AndyPS Now some smart a--e can have a go at my incorrect use of Latin , punctuation AND grammar as well.I DON'T CARE!Good day.Horatio of the wondrous socks.Peace.gif

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Here we go again.Round and round in ever decreasing circles..The dammed thing ain't out yet. Every other speculative post can be read further down the forum.Its all been discussed ENDLESSLY Ad-Nauseam before.AndyPS Now some smart a--e can have a go at my incorrect use of Latin , punctuation AND grammar as well.I DON'T CARE!Good day.Horatio of the wondrous socks.Peace.gif
I thought that grammar and spelling corrections were the reason for these threads! The original post is only regarded as a starting off point.Regards, Mike Mann

Guest 64kts

Reductio ad absurdum... :)

The last time I flew in a real plane it was in 3D not 2D !! So cheers to the VC !!

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

What MS is presenting on their Flight web site hasn't impressed me so far. What I see there make me assume this:-) There's a clear trend towards fun and game style flying using uncomplicated air race type planes.-) Scenery isn't that different from what is already present in FSX.-) An emphasis is given to virtual cockpits.I have no doubt that despite Flight seems to aim arcade style gamers, developers like PMDG will still be able to create high level add on products. The trend towards VCs isn't appealing to me since I never got used to them even after trying with head tracking devices, so I can only hope Flight will still support 2D cockpits and that developers respect "2D pilots". I miss "ground breaking" advances in the scenery area in the videos like sloped runways and stuff similar to what is planned for X-plane 10.Maybe FS reached a point where the gaming aspects of the software get prioritized and the freaky "serious" simmers like myself, flying heavy iron "as real as it gets" are abandoned as a minority. Maybe X-Plane will become a viable alternative in the future...
Your post is all based off of speculation. You really can't get much from the videos on the Flight website. I would wait until learning much more info on the sim before starting a thread like this and getting more arguments in speculation going. I've seen it so many times on here already. Here we go with another thread like this...

Brandon Filer

As a simmer of 30 years and a rw pilot of 21 years I am always interested why a virtual cockpit makes a "non serious" simmer and a "heavy iron as real as it gets" does.From my perspective as a commercial GA pilot what is "real" or "serious" may be exactly the opposite from what you require-but we all have different frames of reference.....and different realities.With that out of the way-why would a new sim from MS cater to "serious" simming at all whatever that is? The vast majority of people who buy it will be "casual"-probably put the throttles in full and fly over their house and then get bored and never learn what those pesky little instruments mean. I assume MS's goal is to sell as many copies as possible. "Serious" turns the majority off and our conception of "serious" can be very different among those who are "serious".My hope is that there will be room for add ons to make this sim "serious" for everyone-whether serious is a heavy iron modelled down to flight attendants walking the plane with working toilets, or high detail virtual 3d cockpits with real working GA instruments that match their rw counterparts.I expect it will-MS has remained the most successful sim in history by being something which no one is happy out of the box-but with add ons can be made to satisfy everyone-and the add ins can satisfy both your and my concepts of "serious".I don't expect this will change. With years of experience I am sure they haven't missed what works.

As with every other version of FS that there has ever been, there will be far more buyers who want to zip about in a fighter plane at treetop level flying inverted between buildings until they crash, than there will be who want to simulate a seven-hour FMC-controlled flight across the Pacific in an add-on plane which costs more than the base program, or for that matter, do practice circuits in a similarly high priced Cessna add-on when Joe Blow perceives that 'there's already a plane which looks the same in the default hangar'. That's just the way it is and always has been with MSFS.So if you enjoy deadly-serious simulation in FS, you need to remember that you are getting that capability courtesy of the larger numbers of users who are not quite so serious about it, because they're the ones who buy it in large numbers. That's why it will probably have a picture of a plane whizzing about doing a stunt on the box cover, rather than a picture of someone carefully checking to see if the cabin pressure is correct on their MD-80's overhead panel, and it's also why it will have promo videos like it does. But as with other versions of FS, none of that means it won't be possible to use it seriously if you want to.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest veeray

I think it's important to remember two things. The last time MS made Flight Simulator the game was for 2004. Since then all it's been making is Flight Simulator the "engine". Two totally differents things but it's important to remember the engine allows us to take the experience in whatever direction we want. Microsoft didn't spend all that time and money just to take it away in the next release.

Guest 64kts

As for the engine, Microsoft should just buy Outerra and be done with it...

Hi,Although Flight is relatively young in its development, you can get an idea on where it will be when its finished by taking a look at Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D. At $500.00 dollars, I'm not impressed. If looking at Lockheed's Prepar3D can give us some in-site on what's to come from Microsoft's Flight, I'd just as soon pass.Looks like an FSX update that may give us true Directx10/11 and multi CPU/GPU support.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.