Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

Best plane to re learn the FMC in?

I used to fly the PMDG 737 a lot and was pretty good at using the FMC, but I haven't flown that plane in close to a year and totally forgot how to use the FMC. I would like to buy some high quality planes but a lot of the planes now have a FMC. So what would be the best plane to re learn using the FMC? I want to get one of the following planesEaglesoft Citation X v2Eaglesoft CJ1 (v2 when it's done)IFly 737Quality Wings 757Wilco E-JetsWilco Embraer Legacy(If it doesn't matter which plane is best to learn the FMC in then what plane has the best manual for the FMC)

Guest MtDeltaVA
I used to fly the PMDG 737 a lot and was pretty good at using the FMC, but I haven't flown that plane in close to a year and totally forgot how to use the FMC. I would like to buy some high quality planes but a lot of the planes now have a FMC. So what would be the best plane to re learn using the FMC? I want to get one of the following planesEaglesoft Citation X v2Eaglesoft CJ1 (v2 when it's done)IFly 737Quality Wings 757Wilco E-JetsWilco Embraer Legacy(If it doesn't matter which plane is best to learn the FMC in then what plane has the best manual for the FMC)
LOL, I'm surprised you were not referred to the over rated Level D.;)

If you were somewhat used to a Boeing FMC, why not staying with Boeing ?. Here is my all-Boeing fleet:737-500 by Wilco PIC, merged with Fifty North model737-700 by PMDG747-400 by PMDG757-200 by PSS767-300 by Level D777-200 by PSS, merged with OpenSky model

Overrated? How is it overrated? I personally still regard it at one of top planes out there. I think it's better than just about every plane currently released for FS9. It shows its age in the VC, sure, but the systems, exterior model and FDE completely make up for it in my opinion. Rarely have I felt so "relaxed" in a plane as in the LDS767. That's not to say I'm not relaxed in the PMDG 747 or any other plane I own for FS9, but no other plane like the LDS767 feels so good to me. It simply does what it should do, without crashing, without fuss, without eating all system resources etc etc. It simply works, and it does so in a delightful way, with lots of nice extras and tidbits. I can't in any way think of the LDS767 as being overrated. If anything, it is underrated.And that's why I also would like to recommend the 767-300 by Level-D. It's truly one of the most pleasant aircraft to fly.However, because you say you once flew the PMDG 737, you might it easiest to learn the iFly 737, since you'll be studying the same FMC.And finally, the PMDG 747-400 comes with four really good tutorials (downloadable from their site) which really give you a very good set of lessons to fly the 747. Note that the 767 and 747 how almost the same FMC, though.You mention the QW757 in your list. It has a simplified FMC so it might be very good for remembering the basics, but note that it doesn't go much further than the basics. You can download the product manual at www.qwsim.com and read for yourself about the functionality of the model.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Joseph, pretty much all FMC's from different manufactors are vastly different. Even FMC's within one manufacturer can vary quite a lot in terms of function as I'm sure you can appreciate. Personally I find Boeing FMC's (Smiths type) the easiest and most logical to operate. Perhaps that is because I am mostly used to them. I have the PMDG 744 and it seems PMDG always do a great job on modelling the FMC's compared to some other developers that seem to release buggy and incomplete software.

Eaglesoft Citation X v2Eaglesoft CJ1 (v2 when it's done)--> IFly 737!Quality Wings 757Wilco E-JetsWilco Embraer Legacy
:(

It shows its age in the VC, sure, but the systems, exterior model and FDE completely make up for it in my opinion.
Have you tried out André Folkers' VC Mod? Available in the download section of the Level-D forum. It's a vast improvement of the default VC. Looking at all the videos on youtube many people still use the Level-D VC. In my opinion it could be so much better with André's version. Fantastic add-on.

Thanks for the input guys. All this is very helpful so far. Back in January I got a new computer and never re installed my PMDG 737 to my new computer. Maybe my best bet is to go with the ifLY 737 since I used to fly the PMDG plane?

Joseph, pretty much all FMC's from different manufactors are vastly different. Even FMC's within one manufacturer can vary quite a lot in terms of function as I'm sure you can appreciate. Personally I find Boeing FMC's (Smiths type) the easiest and most logical to operate. Perhaps that is because I am mostly used to them. I have the PMDG 744 and it seems PMDG always do a great job on modelling the FMC's compared to some other developers that seem to release buggy and incomplete software.
I LOVE flying buisness jets. How would the FMC in the CJ1 be? None of the buisness jets I have now have a fully working FMC.
I don't like flying the heavy jets. The biggest jet I would fly is the 757.

I LOVE flying buisness jets. How would the FMC in the CJ1 be? None of the buisness jets I have now have a fully working FMC.
Not sure about the CJ1 but I've heard nothing but excellent reviews of Eaglesofts Citation X so its definately worth checking that out.

Not sure about the CJ1 but I've heard nothing but excellent reviews of Eaglesofts Citation X so its definately worth checking that out.
Our upcoming CJ1+ 2.0 contains Universal UNS1 FMS so suggest interested folks brush up on that type.:( Our CX 2.0 contains Honeywell which is unique to the real Citation X.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

You clearly don't have a clue do you?How close it's to the real world counterpart oh well :(

André

To the original poster: 1) ALL of my "basic training" with FMCs came from YouTube -- do a search. There is a veritable cornucopia (plethora??) of videos available.2) Buy the LevelD! It might just be the best A/C I own (the new iFly NG is giving it a real run for it's money lately, but only time will tell now.)(Pease, no flames. I don't mean to turn this thread into a comparison thread -- that's just my opinion.)

I am an avionic suites collector. Let me name ONLY the truly excellent options, based either on ownership experience or product reputationBoeing - in abundance - 737 classic Feelthere, 737NG iFly, 747 PMDG, 767 Level-D, 777 no excellent optionAirbus - no excellent optionMD - MD8x Fly the Maddog Pro 2010, MD11 PMDGHoneywell - Primus 2000 Eaglesoft Citation X v2, Primus Epic Feelthere Ejet v1 & v2Universal - Upcoming Eaglesoft Citation CJ1+ (should be great)Garmin G1000 - Flight1 Citation Mustang (FSX only)

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Don't worry so much about working FMCs! If you can work the PMDG 737 FMC you can probably work any, they all do the same thing only slightly differently.Probably the best thing to do when learning a new FMC is to watch a video on youtube and make your own notes, pausing as you go. That way you can see EXACTLY how it works. The manual can then be referred to as you go.Dave

Have you tried out André Folkers' VC Mod? Available in the download section of the Level-D forum. It's a vast improvement of the default VC. Looking at all the videos on youtube many people still use the Level-D VC. In my opinion it could be so much better with André's version. Fantastic add-on.
I have that mod installed, but what I was reffering too is mainly the 2D overhead in the VC. It's one of the few planes I still fly that have a flat overhead in the VC. The mod doesn't change that, it only changes some of the textures of the main panel.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case