Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

PMDG MD-11 paintkit: another question

I noticed that for the tail there are four files included: right_T, left_T, right_LT and left_LT. I was wondering how the two LT's should be different from the two T's. I have been looking at the texture.PW folder and saw that they seem to amount to the same thing as the two T's, which left me confused. Why would PMDG put two files that are the same except for the filename? I actually assume LT is for the night lighting or something of the kind, but then I don't understand why they are the same as the two T's. Can anybody explain me the difference and how they should be made different?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Yes I can Benjamin.You "think" they are the same, nevertheless they are different.The texture you see is the same on these two files.Their alphalayers however are way different.The T file has a normal alpha to conduct the gloss on the tail.For the LT file we have a different alpha, for light-purposes only.If you open both files (from the PW texture-map) in DXTBmp you`ll notice the differences between the two files in a glance.Look in the right-upper-corner of DXTBmp ( one of the superb tools by Martin Wright ) where the alphas are visualised.This viewing can be done with Photoshop and Imagetool also , DXTBmp is fast and simple.RegardsLeen de JagerDXTBmp? >> Painting FAQ`s >> Question 2 (Tools) >> answer 2 >> DXTBmp downloadlink

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Benjamin,both _LT files should include a certain ALPHA layer in order to get the tail illuminated when switching on the logo lights. I have attached a larger screenshot of the ALPHA channel layer so you can have a better look at what Leen wanted to show you.To ease your work, you can finish the normal tail textures first, than simply copy the ALPHA channel from another file/paint in the current alpha layer and then save the file with the _LT ending. That way you can save a bit of time of you are keen on it. Except for the ALPHA channel, there is indeed not much difference.Cheers!

so you can have a better look at what Leen wanted to show youI did not only want to show it , just showed it ( only in a diffrent way )Your explanation about how to create a new LT file is excellent.The original paintkit is not very helpfull at this point.CheersLeenpsDXTBmp is a fine tool to export and import alphalayers.

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

so you can have a better look at what Leen wanted to show youI did not only want to show it , just showed it ( only in a diffrent way )Your explanation about how to create a new LT file is excellent.The original paintkit is not very helpfull at this point.CheersLeenpsDXTBmp is a fine tool to export and import alphalayers.
Thanks for the help once again, guys! I have indeed used DXTBmp to export (and later import) the alpha channels of the MD-11, because I found it was far to reflective. When I did that, though I didn't come across the alpha layer you guys mentioned, but it is clear I should look for it. Thanks for the help! You guys are invaluable :smile:

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I did not only want to show it , just showed it ( only in a diffrent way )DXTBmp is a fine tool to export and import alphalayers.
Hi Leen,excuse my inconvinient reply, actually I wanted to show a larger image of the alpha layer. Of course your post was sufficient enough :smile:.Well, I have always been one of those IMAGETOOL users, I can't explain why. But that way you need to have the ALPHA in the PSD or whatever file format you use, in order to do the conversion.Anyway, the result is the same as with DXTBMP :smile:.Benjamin, good to see you are coming along with your repaint. The documentation is really a bit insufficient regarding those items.Kind regars,

I did not experience your post as inconvinient.Feel free to post.As I said before, I really appreciate the explanation you added.CheersLeen

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints