Sign in to follow this  
Guest Iain Spowart

Tragic Loss

http://www.mountainlight.com/new.htmlWhat a sad day for us all!"The Aero Commander they were in crashed this morning while on final approach to Bishop Airport. "One wing dipped down uncharacteristically. The plane crashed hard on the ground. All four passengers were killed instantly. The wreckage is mostly small pieces. The plane was being flown by Tom Reed who started the Life Flight service here in Bishop and has been a pilot for over 30 years. ...NTSB investigating ...mechanical failure..."

Guest Rob

Hey Ihor,Indeed it is sad. Thanks for the heads-up on this. Hopefully the NTSB will find out what caused the Commander to crash and stop it happening again in the future.

Guest SoarPics

I'm stunned!!!I've been a photographer for nearly 25 years, and Galen Rowell has always been a very powerful influence in my work. I took 2 classes with him within the last 8 years. He was always helpful, giving of his time, and was very adept at teaching his gift of "seeing" an image before making a photograph. I occasionally re-read any one of his books (I've read Mountain Light at least a dozen times) to refresh the many things I've learned from his lectures and writings.He and Barbara were strong advocates of wild land and animal preservation around the world. They were heavily involved in Sierra Club operations and endeavors. The international environmental movement has lost two influential proponents.Indeed, a sad day... he was one of the truly great masters of the medium.

Guest Iain Spowart

This is sad news indeed.I am also a photographer and mostly knew of Galen Rowell through his connection with Nikon. His photographs are stunning and I cannot believe that he is gone.My thoughts go out to his children in this difficult time.Iain Spowart,Scotland.