Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

Backtracking.

I have noticed a320 and 737 at EGGP (Liverpool, UK) backtracking down the Runway because of taxiway maintenance. Some Airports must require this all the time. Can anyone answer the following questions.1. What is the minimum turning circle of various aircraft?2. How are the turns made, is it using brakes, engine control or both as well as nose wheel steering?(I tend to use the grass too much, thought a strimmer on the nosewheel would be a good add-on)3. Does FS2k2 ATC clear you for take off as you enter the runway or when you line up?Thanks for any help you can give?Terry:-hmmm A puzzled simmer

Hello, Backtracking is normal for some airports, such as Edinburgh when no full-runway taxiways are available! On the A320 nose-wheel steering is sufficient for a 180 degree turn. If it's a bit tight we may use the inboard brakes for turning, but it's not normally required. At airports where backtracking is required there is an extra bit of tarmac just to the side of the runway that we can taxi onto and turn around back onto the runway. The turn radius on the A320 is 75 feet 10 inches and on the A319 62 feet 6 inches. So you can turn on the runway, but not on the taxiway! On the A319 you can turn on the runway and the taxiway!Julie ScottA320 CaptainUK Charter Airline

Hi Julie,One thing I have never mastered or fully understood in FS2k2 is turning on the taxiways or onto stand.I know the flightdeck overhangs the nose wheel so you must drive past, if you like, the turn. I find this manoeuvre easy in spot view but not from the flightdeck.In the real world do you have positioning cues or is it just experience, and do you find it easier in the rw than in FS?Any hints appreciated.BTW Nice to see another female contributing to these forums.

Hello, I must say I find the 2D panel useless for taxiing, unless you have proper side views. I like the taxi in the Virtual Cockpit in the PSS A320. Generally on the A320 when turning onto the stand you taxi past the stand until your eye see's the stand line just in front of the rear post (when turning right onto the stand and you are in the left seat) and turn the Nose wheel and everything should line up nicely. If you are going left onto the stand and you are in the left seat you taxi roughly the same distance and turn, it's experience really if you turn left in the left seat. It's vice versa if you are int he right seat. In the A321 you have to think abit more and taxi a bit further because of the longer wheelbase.Julie ScottA320 CaptainUK Charter Airline

Thanks for the tips. I will do some practising with the video running to see what a mess I make of things :-)