Sign in to follow this  

Airband Scanner in the US

Hello there :-)Im going to the US this friday and i am bringing my scanner with me. I've been stopped a few times at Airports here in the UK with it and i was just wondering is it safe enough to bring to the US without a big hassel at the Security point ?Thanks for your help :-wave

Guest mikehaska

Usually, I would say "Go ahead, and bring it with you". But because of increased security, you will be faced with more hassles because of it, it may be better to leave it at home for this trip.If you really feel you need it, pack it in your checked baggage. Don't try and hide it behind something, because that would arouse suspicion. Have batteries in it so that it can be turned on if necessary. If you feel you need to put it in your carry-on, prepare for more hassles. Depending on the security agent, you may be asked a lot of questions about it. While it's never a good idea to lie to security, you can tell them it's a weather radio, rather than telling them it's an aviation or police scanner. (which is true, scanners do pick up weather broadcasts). Again, have batteries and be prepared to fire it up.Worst case scenario, be prepared to leave it at the airport. Either have someone close you can give it to take home, or have a Self Adressed Stamped Envelope that security can ship it home in.Good Luck!PS, I have to think back to summer last year. I have a Leatherman Wave, a pocket tool with 3 blades on it. I always pack it in checked, but I had it in a sheath, and forgot to check it. I walked through security at Montreal, put it in the basket, and walked through the scanner. The security guard didn't bat an eye as she handed it back to me! Oh, those were the days!

THanks for the information :D.I am a Leatherman FANATIC!.....There is new Colourd ones out now....I think i may have to get one of them for the trip :-lol!Thanks :-wave

Guest mikehaska

Yeah, the Leatherman Juice! Beware, though, each colour has different features, so you can't just say "I like the blue one" because the blue one has different features than the purple one!I'll stick with my Wave though. Their website lists it as the "Top of the Line"! That, I like! :-)

The wave is the best out of them all ;-). ( with that blade it must be :( )