Sign in to follow this  
Guest Iain Spowart

This Joke made me fall out of my chair!

Taken from Airliners.netEnjoy!Take careMikeA chemistry mid term examThe following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term exam. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law, (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following: "First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So, we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave.Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.This gives two possibilities:1) If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.2) If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until all Hell freezes over. So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa Baston during my freshman year, "...that it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then, #2 cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze."The student received the only "A" given.

oh..I never saw it before..sorry to the people who know it already... :-)Take careMike

Guest Iain Spowart

It's OK Mike, I wasn't criticising your post just 'cos I'd seen it before! It's still a great story and just as funny as it was the first time I saw it :-)Iain Spowart,Scotland.

I must admit the logic makes sense. It is also a funny one, i should seand it to my Grandad.

Guest phil

Mike, I'd never seen it before,a dn it had me falling out of my chair with laughter. Thanks. :-lol :-lolphil

Yeah..I know you didn't criticize. I've seen you around here for long enough to know that you are not that kind of person... :-) I was just in a hurry so I wrote something there quick without giving too much thought.Thanks for replying anyway.hehe...now that I think about it I could have written something else in this reply!I could say:"Oh Sorry for misinterpreting your reply!"but then you would reply..."It's OK...i was not criticizing that time either"..and we could be doing that for until we grow roots! :-lolOK...I am thinking too much tonight.....Must...Take ...M..Me...Medication!!!!Take careMike

ROFLMAOAnd a well deserved 'A' at that :-)Thaks Mike for sharing, and I had not seen it before ;-)

I enjoyed it, and hadn't run into it before.... Thanks for the post!

Guest Iain Spowart

Hey, everyone's making me feel bad about mentioning that I'd seen it before!Maybe I only imagined it! Kinda like an entire series of Dallas which was all a dream! (Showing my age now! :-lol)Iain Spowart,Scotland.

Don't feel bad. All you did is mention that you have seen it before. You did not insult/criticize/threated...etc. like it sometimes happens if someone posts something twice. Anyone got any more jokes for us? Take careMike