Sign in to follow this  
lam321

the oddest thing

Oddest thing: starting a flight from KJFK Kennedy Intl airport would result in frequent periodic pauses lasting 3s for each pause and 4s between pauses. Starting in La Guardia also has these pauses but they’re shorter. Before you think it’s about sceneries installed or framerates, it gets interesting: flying from these airports towards downtown New York (using the slew because it’s annoying to fly in normal time with these frequent pauses), once I cross the river, the pauses disappear. If I turn around and head back across the river, the pauses start up again. I know I’ve added 3rd party sceneries, but even after I go into the scenery library and disable all of them, the pauses are still there. It’s obvious that the problem is a recent thing I’ve discovered and the problem wasn’t there before and I could smoothly fly out of KJFK. Also, no hardware or OS or driver changes (including no video card driver changes) have been made, so I doubt listing specs is a solution. Tried looking at the task manager to see if any other processes were running – none (though it looked as the FSX process graph looks a little like a sawtooth function). Even tried setting fsx to other CPU cores to no avail. The computer that fsx is running on has no virus. It is also not connected online. Tried googling to see if any solution might be available, but couldn’t find any. I’m usually ok when it comes to troubleshooting, but this one stumps me. Anyone else had this kind of periodic pausing either around NY’s airports or elsewhere? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance…

There was an issue a while back with Ultimate Terrain X related to how it treated wave action, so that when flying toward some bodies of water, framerates would drop. Do you use UTX?

Art

Thanks for replying. No, I don't use UTX. I admit that I do have a lot of 3rd party scenery, but I have tried to disable these (and checked that there is nothing in the Addon>scenery folder as well) - to no avail - still the timed periodic pauses at KJFK.FWIW to others now and in the future encountering something similar, on further testing, I have found that the only thing that works is to set scenery complexity to sparse. Now before you think that it's because of slow machine specs, please be assured I doubt this is the case for 2 reasons: 1. it is a decent machine that has run and continues to run some other complex sceneries in other locales without problems, and 2. I've been able to run KJFK on this exact same machine not too long ago. I'm still suspecting it's something I've installed since that time. But why only around Manhattan. Once I get to Manhattan, it's fine. Oddities of oddities...