Sign in to follow this  
awais1407

Help with decision in

In anticipation of the 737NGX, I have decided to give my PC a slight upgrade.I currently have a NVIDIA GTX 285 graphics card fitted in my system, and planning to upgrade that to a GTX 480. But I am a little unsure as I keep hearing that FSX is more CPU bound, and upgrading the graphics card will not make that much of a difference.My CPU currently is an Intel i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz, and too be honest I am quite satisfied with it.

Obviously, your milage my vary, but i had a GTS260, and recently upgraded to a GTX460 (due to my old card having died on me).I didnt notice that much of a difference to be honest. I only got the 460 because i play a couple m1ore games on my PC as well.However, you should overclock you CPU. I have the I7 860 (stock speed @ 2.8Ghz), but through simple settings in the BIOS got it to 3.2Ghz without hardly any more heat. The I7 chips overclocking potential is amazing.

In anticipation of the 737NGX, I have decided to give my PC a slight upgrade.I currently have a NVIDIA GTX 285 graphics card fitted in my system, and planning to upgrade that to a GTX 480. But I am a little unsure as I keep hearing that FSX is more CPU bound, and upgrading the graphics card will not make that much of a difference.My CPU currently is an Intel i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz, and too be honest I am quite satisfied with it.
Hi Awais. My system is almost identical to yours: i7920 with a GTX 285. The only difference is that I overclocked my CPU to 3.4 (with turbo mode on). You also didn't mention your RAM. Im running with 6GB. My guess is that as far as FSX is concerned, you're better off right now getting yourself a good cooler, and overclocking your CPU a bit more ( a lot less expensive than a 480 as well!)

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Overclock that I7 Puppy, and get a good cooler, I recommend Noctia NH-U12PI am at 4.2 Ghz now and my temps at max load is aroond 69 °C Idle temps are at 39-42 ° CGet a new cooler, and overclock your CPU and you will have a very good system biggrin.gif

Definitely OC the CPU. Get a Prolimatech Megahalems cooler and two good fans and you'll hit 4+GHz easily.
True, next in line is only Danamics LMX and liquid cooling.

Guest wims

Before you buy a cooler, make sure you got enough room for it in your case. Some cases are too narrow for the top end coolers