Sign in to follow this  
LTCSZ

FSX Slow To Load

After a repair of FSX, it has started taking forever (about 6 minutes) to do an initial load of the program...Stays on "texture" loading for the longest period...I have defragged the drive but that didn't help...Suggestions are welcome! Thanks...Steve

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

Frankly, if it is taking that long to load up, I'd uninstall it, do a defrag, and reinstall it. Since that's a pain in the &@($*, I suggest you fully defrag the HD overnight after having uninstalled FS, then when you are maybe cooking dinner or some such, reinstall it whilst you are doing that. Probably not what you want to hear, but it's sure to fix things.Reinstalling FS is a pain in the &@($* (trust me, I know, I usually reinstall it for reviews, so I've done it a lot LOL), but I'd bite the bullet, because something is clearly not right with it taking that amount of time, and it could take you longer to find out what it is that is slowing it down than it would take to simply put it on there again and solve it that way.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Sorry, but re-install has to be the last resort. I'm sure there is a fix without going through that nightmare.

Keith Sandford.

Hi Steve,Excessive texture load times when starting a flight is almost certainly caused by un-mipped terrain textures. Recently ive been doing a very comprehensive overhaul of my night textures and if i leave them without mip-maps it can take between 5 and 10 minutes to get a flight started. I thought it was broken but it just took a really long time. High LOD radius can do this also but it usually stays on'terrain' for a long time rather than texture. Unfortunately it will take a long time to check all of your terrain textures, can you think of any that might have been changed? A mipbias tweak can disable mips but it doesnt affect the terrain textures, only the detail1.bmp underneath them.Start by deleting the fsx.cfg file and see how it goes.David.

I've had the same problem. For years FSX worked fine, then all of a sudden, I started having this problem. I deleted files to free up space on the hard drive. I tried turning off scenery, but that didn't work. I tried lowering all of the different textures. That didn't work either. Finally, I read a post from someone on this site that suggested that the virus scanner was trying to check out every texture, which is what took so long. I disabled the active protection on my Viper virus scanner and it worked. Now when I run FSX, I just disable it for a period of time. Try it. I was amazed.....