Sign in to follow this  
sonic5

jsg 747-8 panel

I need to know where to find and move the course for this panel, for an ils landing? Is it put in the FMF? What if the computer has stopped working, is there a manual way to move the course if this is the case? Nothing in the file with instructions says anyting about it. Thanks Robert

Your Omni Bearing course selector is in fact in the FMC (Its not called the FMF.......no biggie, just letting you know)In MOST (but not always all) cases, when you select an ILS approach by pressing the DEP APR button on the fmc and you select an ILS approach (example you are flying to KJFK and your been cleared to make an ILS approach to runway 4L. In the DEP APR section on the right hand side will be the runways, Here usually at the top will be the instrument approaches, when you select one it will automatically tune the nav1 radio and input the correct course direction. But as I said earlier........this is not always the case. What you are going to need to do, and its something I ALWAYS do after I have selected my approach is to press the NAV RAD button. There you will see on the left hand side of the FMC screen in smaller print ILS-MLS. Under this will be your nav1 frequency AND your course heading. You can also manually input the frequency AND course, by typing the frequency and course heading on the scratch pad in the following format 109.50/045 (this only being an example) then after you type that press the button associated with the ILS-MLS area.Now as far as the "what if the computers stopped working" if you read the FMC user guide you will learn that if the FMC stops working..........your course will NOT matter............the FMC controls the ILS/MLS the FCC, (flight control computers) Fuel monitoring, air data, the IRS....and SO much more. These are very powerful computers. Each FMC consists of FIVE processors. Its in my opinion, (someone confirm if im wrong) but a total AC electrical failure would be needed to knock these things out and even then, the FMC is tied to the APU standby power. But if these things fail........you will have BIG problems. Like emergency landing kinda problems, most likley manual landing kinda problems. But once again, I can not Confirm with 100% confidence, but you will be F.U.B.A.R my friend. But yes, ALL of your course selection is going to be done through the NAD RAD section of the FMC, and no there is not an Omni Bearing "knob" to manually turn.Sorry dude.....but the FMC rules this bird........if it gets fried.....I dont know man, call in a May Day, Pan Pan Pan, whatever.........and revert to your Abnormal Procedures checklists. Perform everything you can to get them back online......and if you can not.....you most likely are going to land her manualyMuch more can be talked about with this..............if you have any more questions feel free to ask.....if I can not answer them, I can find someone that will be able to.

TMoney10583, this is Sonic5, Hay thanks, for the info I requested on the 747-8 panel ILS info it works , and without your help Id never have found it. The FMF I added instead of FMF, guess I still have that Fleet Marine Force imbeded in my brain, but anyway I have looked everywhere for this info , the instructions that came with the panel tell everything except how to use them, anyway thanks again. Sonic5

TMoney10583, this is Sonic5, Hay thanks, for the info I requested on the 747-8 panel ILS info it works , and without your help Id never have found it. The FMF I added instead of FMF, guess I still have that Fleet Marine Force imbeded in my brain, but anyway I have looked everywhere for this info , the instructions that came with the panel tell everything except how to use them, anyway thanks again. Sonic5
no problem palanything else i can help with dont hesitate to ask