Sign in to follow this  
dc9man

Can't Install FS2004 on Windows 7

Yesterday after receiving my newly minted copy of FS2004 from Amazon I tried to install it on my new laptop which is equiped with Windows 7 Home and a i5 core processor. Well everything appeared to go swimmingly until we got to the 77% completed area when it stalled on the Amster.cab file on disk 4 and there it just hung up while CD ROM continued to spin away. I waited a considerable time for a load but nothing changed and I eventually aborted the installation, I tried this process three times each with same result .Does anyone have a clue as to what may be the cause of this, I sure would appreciate some direction. This is 64 bit OS with 6 GB of RAM. Thanks in Advance, Tom

Guest firehawk44

It sounds like Disk 4 is dirty and maybe has greasy fingerprints on it. Try cleaning it with a kleenex and try again. There is no other reason why the installation would stop as you stated. Just remove the CD, clean it, then reinsert it if it happens again. Best regards,Jim

It sounds like Disk 4 is dirty and maybe has greasy fingerprints on it. Try cleaning it with a kleenex and try again. There is no other reason why the installation would stop as you stated. Just remove the CD, clean it, then reinsert it if it happens again. Best regards,Jim
Thanks Jim I'll try your suggestion, also when I tried to install the program the few times I was trying to put it in the programs folder. Should FS9 have it's own dedicated folder? Thanks Again, Tom

Guest firehawk44
Thanks Jim I'll try your suggestion, also when I tried to install the program the few times I was trying to put it in the programs folder. Should FS9 have it's own dedicated folder? Thanks Again, Tom
At the beginning of the install you can select the folder where you want it installed, like C:/ or D:/, or it will be installed automatically in the default folder: C:/Program Files(x86)/Microsoft Games/ since it is a 32 bit program and you have a 64 bit system.Best regards,Jim

Yesterday after receiving my newly minted copy of FS2004 from Amazon I tried to install it on my new laptop which is equiped with Windows 7 Home and a i5 core processor. Well everything appeared to go swimmingly until we got to the 77% completed area when it stalled on the Amster.cab file on disk 4 and there it just hung up while CD ROM continued to spin away. I waited a considerable time for a load but nothing changed and I eventually aborted the installation, I tried this process three times each with same result .Does anyone have a clue as to what may be the cause of this, I sure would appreciate some direction. This is 64 bit OS with 6 GB of RAM. Thanks in Advance, Tom
dcman I assume since this post is a little old you figured out how to install fs9 on Windows 7? I'm having the same problem with it stopping at 77% amster.cab portion. I've tried a few other sugguestions I found on here but I can never seem to get it beyond that point.

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Jim,Kleenex or other tissue is not a great way to clean CD or DVD disks or monitor screens. Use a damp lint free cloth such as a old T-shirt and then dry with same type cloth. If grease is on the disk wash the disk in a few drops of dish detergent and water with lint free cloth and dry with same.

Okay listen guys it's not about the dirty thing. I know like 10 more people out there in this world with this same problem. So I have tried 2 diferent ways to install this game in the last 3 hours, no progress. I have absolutely no clue whats happening! Its really anoying and please stop speaking about "Kleenex" or that the disc is dirty, its not the problem. My installer stops at about 77% at the Amsterd.cab too! I guess rebooting windows is a way to go but you shouldn't be needed to do that. Please help us people out there, please! I really want to make my longflights with Virgin Atlantic VA! blum.gif I have FSX installed too but it's in the C:FSX folder that i created myself. I bought this sim FS9 today to like i said fly longflights pretty much. Im running a Windows 7 Profesional 64bit, GTX460, AMD Atlhon 2x 3.2 ghz! Please help!RegardsEmil Nilsson

Guest firehawk44
Okay listen guys it's not about the dirty thing. I know like 10 more people out there in this world with this same problem.
Not a very way to introduce yourself to AVSIM forums (7 posts)! Those were suggestions made back in 2010 and only suggestions. Not solutions. So what if the suggestions did not work for the OP? That's all most people who post here do... post suggestions or recommendations unless there is a KNOWN solution, then they will post the solution. We are nice people here and demands for a fix or telling us what to do or not to do is not very nice. I did a Google search for you and could not find a solution to your problem (Google - fs9 disk 4 will not install or fs2004 disk 4 will not install). Most suggestions were to clean the disk and it worked for many who had the problem. But, like you it did not work for everyone. There were other suggestions but with different OS's and they may or may not work with Windows 7. Another good suggestion was to try and buy another copy of the program as FS2004 is very cheap these days if available for purchase. My latest suggestion is to remove the FS9 folder and then run a registry cleaner to make sure all remnants of FS9 no longer exist. Then try a reinstall. This time, right click the setup program on the first CD and select 'run as administrator'. I would also disable UAC and any anti-virus program during installation. As I recall, Disk 4 has to be in your CD drive while FS9 is running and is copy protected. This may be preventing a complete installation as Disk 4 goes through a setup routine after all files on the CD have been extracted and the setup may be trying to make changes to your registry and system folders. Hope this helps.Jim

Had this happen in the past. Disk 4 is defective, scratched or damaged. Use to be able to call MS and they would send a replacement relatively inexpensive. I would guess they wont do that anymore.

Edited by Barnstormer1

Of course you could always create a folder on the C: (or other) and then see if you can do a plain copy of the whole CD over. If that's successful - chances are you can install from there.

Edited by Paul J

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Not a very way to introduce yourself to AVSIM forums (7 posts)! Those were suggestions made back in 2010 and only suggestions. Not solutions. So what if the suggestions did not work for the OP? That's all most people who post here do... post suggestions or recommendations unless there is a KNOWN solution, then they will post the solution. We are nice people here and demands for a fix or telling us what to do or not to do is not very nice. I did a Google search for you and could not find a solution to your problem (Google - fs9 disk 4 will not install or fs2004 disk 4 will not install). Most suggestions were to clean the disk and it worked for many who had the problem. But, like you it did not work for everyone. There were other suggestions but with different OS's and they may or may not work with Windows 7. Another good suggestion was to try and buy another copy of the program as FS2004 is very cheap these days if available for purchase. My latest suggestion is to remove the FS9 folder and then run a registry cleaner to make sure all remnants of FS9 no longer exist. Then try a reinstall. This time, right click the setup program on the first CD and select 'run as administrator'. I would also disable UAC and any anti-virus program during installation. As I recall, Disk 4 has to be in your CD drive while FS9 is running and is copy protected. This may be preventing a complete installation as Disk 4 goes through a setup routine after all files on the CD have been extracted and the setup may be trying to make changes to your registry and system folders. Hope this helps.Jim
Hey guys, I am having the exact same problem installing FS9 on my Windows 7 64bit. I already had it installed on a second HD and have run it without problems. I always install it as I run modules like FSNavigator whivh are not available for FSX. Two nights ago I went to run it and it just kept crashing to the desktop after the splash screen went off. I thought it must have been corrupt so proceeded to reinstall it. That's when the problems started, like some people here at 77% or so it started hanging while installing certain area cab files. I went out to PC World and bought a new copy for £13 as I thought my discs are old and perhaps scratched. The exact same thing when it reached 77% or so. I tried installing it on my SSD with the same issue. I am now wondering if a recent update of Windows 7 has caused the problem?

Guest firehawk44
Hey guys, I am having the exact same problem installing FS9 on my Windows 7 64bit. I already had it installed on a second HD and have run it without problems. I always install it as I run modules like FSNavigator whivh are not available for FSX. Two nights ago I went to run it and it just kept crashing to the desktop after the splash screen went off. I thought it must have been corrupt so proceeded to reinstall it. That's when the problems started, like some people here at 77% or so it started hanging while installing certain area cab files. I went out to PC World and bought a new copy for £13 as I thought my discs are old and perhaps scratched.The exact same thing when it reached 77% or so. I tried installing it on my SSD with the same issue. I am now wondering if a recent update of Windows 7 has caused the problem?
I doubt a Windows update causes this problem. Did you do a Google search as I suggested above (Google - fs9 disk 4 will not install or fs2004 disk 4 will not install)? Did you run the setup program as the Administrator and turn off UAV and any anti-virus program as I suggested? You might also make sure you have the proper MS Visuals C++ Redistributables for running FS9 installations. Usually this is installed by the setup program when you first start up the installation. The software program is used by developers to install programs properly on a computer system. I would suspect the proper MSV would be the 2004 ones. Run Windows update after installing for any updates to the program. Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim

This issue isn't Windows 7 related. I just reinstalled FS2004 a couple of weeks ago and I have Windows 7-64 bit and I didn't have any installation problems. The problem is related to Disk 4 and certain brand(s) of DVD drives. I had a similar problem about 4 years ago with Disc 4 where it would hang up when the install got to the Tokyo.cab file. At the time I had two optical drives in my system and the solution was to use the other opitcal drive to install FS2004. Using the second drive which was a different brand name cured the problem and the installation breezed right by the Tokyo.cab file. I experienced two reinstalls like that and each time switching to the other drive cured the problem. BTW when I had the problem I was using Windows Vista. No problems with Windows 7 and a different optical drive.You could try to create a virtual disk (ISO file) of Disc 4 and mount it in Daemon Tools during the install and see if that works.Todd

Thanks TPerson for you advice, sounds logic enough as I have 2 optical drives in my PC. The one I done my reinstall with is an NEC Drive. Only thing is it doesn't explain why my already installed FS9 stopped working in the first place! I will try your solution tonight and report back as it may help others with the same problem.

Tried the second optical drive and no joy with reinstalling FS9. I just cannot figure out why it won't install. I have run CCleaner to ensure the registry is clean and removed all reminants of my previous installation. I rebooted after cleaning the registry, and hecked the CD's both the old ones and the newer ones, and nothing. I will google it though and maybe there will be a solution out there. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.