Sign in to follow this  
Nandan Patel

Putting FSX mesh into FS9

Is it possible to put FSX mesh into FS9? I can't seem to find freeware asia mesh so i found FSX asia mesh: http://flightsim.com/file.php, and i would like to know if it can be placed into FS9. Not only for asia but for other regions too, since FSX mesh is nice and higher resolution (correct?)Thx.

don't think FSX mesh will load in FS9, but you can find 76m resolution mesh from the SRTM v2 elevation data here:http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htmDon't know how good it is (file sizes are kind of big to download there on a free account).scott s..

Unless they have been created with the FS9 SDK and have been made to work with both sims, the mesh will not work in FS9. On a side note, do not attempt to port over payware meshes such as Ray Tabauret's meshes on FSPilotShop, as they are copy-protected. Dave.

Guest belga1

Hello,

but you can find 76m resolution mesh from the SRTM v2 elevation data here:
They are good basic free meshes .. I used those before go to FSgenesis.FSX meshes are for FSX :( and not for FS2004 !Regards.bye.gifGus.

On another side note, combining Ultimate Terrain with several other ground texture improvements such as Ground Environment 2004 and HD Environment 2010 or even REX2004, will make FS9 stand out over FSX. Of course, a strong computer will be required, as well as a reasonable video card that will run these add-ons without turning FSX into a slideshow. AFAIK FTX/ORBX only makes FSX scenery, but yet again stood out from the crowd as it was not just a simple makeover over the default; it featured HD macros and textures, as well as roads that are sharply detailed, created from vectors, and proper cul-de-sacs as well as more pronounced ground detail meshes that makes them come alive. All data from the macros are created from scratch. Dave.

combining Ultimate Terrain with several other ground texture improvements such as Ground Environment 2004 and HD Environment 2010 or even REX2004, will make FS9 stand out over FSX
I'm looking for the word 'mesh' (which the OP was asking about) in what you wrote, but cannot locate it. :wink:On a side note (out of curiosity): how to interprete your profile slogan 'FS9 - don't ask me to fly with it!' ?
Is it possible to put FSX mesh into FS9?
As for the mesh itself, like my predecessors wrote, FSX mesh is for FSX, not for FS9.The mesh resolution in FSX is much higher, allowing creating much more precise ground shape.As a general rule, most addons made for FSX cannot be ported back to FS9 due to various limits.
I can't seem to find freeware asia mesh
The freeware mesh scott967 pointed out is very good. I used it myself with no serious problems. It includes Asia as well.Now I'm mainly on the FSGenesis meshes (they are low priced), but in some places I put an additional freeware mesh with higher resolution if available.Another place to find good freeware mesh packs is avsim.su. They have a great collection of Asian meshes.They are mostly for Russia and former USSR countires, but not only. Just give it a search.

Here is some examples of mesh resolution's that fs2004 can support :Terrain Max Vertex Level 19 20 21 22 23Max Terrain Display Resolution 76.4m 38.2m 19.1m 9.6m 4.8mMax Terrain Mesh LOD RequiredLOD 9LOD 10LOD 11LOD 12LOD 13 So...basically, if you're mesh resolution, from FSX is not higher than LOD13, 4,8m, with MVL of 23, you can use it in FS2004.But, if you want to use high resolution meshes in FS2004, you must made some corrections in fs9.cfg.For example, if you use LOD13 mesh, under "Terrain Max Vertex Level" you must put value of 23.Hope this can help.

Guest belga1

Hello,I hope you will agree I disagree ... :( AFAIK .. the meshes supported by FS2004 are for:Terrain Max Vertex Level192021 Regards.bye.gifGus.

Hello,I hope you will agree I disagree ... :( AFAIK .. the meshes supported by FS2004 are for:Terrain Max Vertex Level192021 Regards.bye.gifGus.
And the score after the first period:GUS - 1DAILYBORR - 0

I'm looking for the word 'mesh' (which the OP was asking about) in what you wrote, but cannot locate it. :wink:On a side note (out of curiosity): how to interprete your profile slogan 'FS9 - don't ask me to fly with it!' ?Raimondo Tabauret has provided a number of his meshes for FS9, with some being payware and some being freeware. I've seen one for Europe, and one of them to say the least is for FS9, but the version I use to fly around Europe is currently the FSX version.Well, the second question is obviously OT (off-topic) but this one's easy to do; you will only have to add a preferred title on the profile CP. Under "Change Profile Information", search for the "Member Title" box. Type in any preferred title and you're done! Dave.

Hello:Although FS9 "reads" FS9 SDK Resample generated terrain mesh data files containing LOD's higher than LOD-11, the actual terrain vertices (and thereby the physical shape) are not "rendered" beyond LOD-11. :( However, the FS9 rendering engine will begin using different slope textures (ex: rock faces) on hillsides / mountain sides with terrain mesh LODs of 12 and above.And, of course, the TMVL must be set in FS9.Cfg to allow any of this to happen. :( PS: FS9 can't read FSX SDK Resample generated terrain mesh data files. Hope this helps ! :( GaryGB

Okies, so the big question finally, (all this is very confusing to me :(), can we use it or not? And if so, how? Any instructions on it etc?

Okies, so the big question finally, (all this is very confusing to me :(), can we use it or not? And if so, how? Any instructions on it etc?
Once again, you just can't. Honestly if you really want these terrrain meshes then move to FSX. :biggrin:Dave.

..............Well, the second question is obviously OT (off-topic) but this one's easy to do; you will only have to add a preferred title on the profile CP. Under "Change Profile Information", search for the "Member Title" box. Type in any preferred title and you're done! Dave.
Rafal wasn't asking you how to do it - but what's the meaning of putting that statement in your member title box and then posting in the FS9 forum. I would like to know too, why you felt the need to do that?
With freeware FSX meshes - If you really want the FSX meshe(s) in FS9 - you can always try to add them in the normal way, if they work great, if not then they can not be made to work in FS9. Some meshes may work in both sims, others not. Complex meshes made for FSX will usually not work in FS9, but if you really want them you can always give it a try.With payware FSX meshes - Its highly unlikely any of these will work in FS9.

Rafal wasn't asking you how to do it - but what's the meaning of putting that statement in your member title box and then posting in the FS9 forum. I would like to know too, why you felt the need to do that?
I know!.......I know!........Because lightning hit more than that tree he was sitting under!G (the big "G" stands for goodness) willmot