Sign in to follow this  
davidv

FSX CTD with SmartAssembly error

Every once in a while I get a crash of FSX, the error message refers to g3d.dll (or something like that) and then an error box comes up saying "This feature rquires that {smartassembly} is available on this computer."I'm trying to figure out what is causing it - I haven't been able to directly reproduce it and it only happens once every 5-10 hours or something. It doesn't seem to matter what aircraft I'm using so it's not that (was using Carenado Caravan) wasn't flying online so not that.What I do use every flight is Activesky Enhanced and Ultimate Traffic 2, along with the Saitek Autopilot panel software. Anyone know what causes this?Any help is appreciated.

Guest jahman
SmartAssembly is a .NET code obfuscator from Red Gate Software to prevent software being decompiled/reverse assembled and copied-stolen. This also means any software crash diagnosticator will not be able to "see" inside faulting modules protected with SmartAssembly, i.e. the counterparty to SmartAssembly is DumbDiagnostic.Cheers,- jahman.

Guest firehawk44

More than likely your video card display drivers are not properly installed or the version of the driver may not be for your video card or it's overheating or it's overclocked and causing instability OR you have your display driver settings set too high or they are too high in FSX.cfg.Best regards,Jim

This is due to the saitek panel. I have the auto pilot and switch panel and have the same problem but they havent been able to solve it yet. Dont know what to tell you updating software hasnt helped and the only way you can stop it is to unplug the panels.

Guest jahman
This is due to the saitek panel. I have the auto pilot and switch panel and have the same problem but they havent been able to solve it yet. Dont know what to tell you updating software hasnt helped and the only way you can stop it is to unplug the panels.
Any chance you can tell us your procedural steps to narrow down the source of the problem? ;ost of us with lots of add-ons have a hard time with determining the source of a CTD (Admins: A CTD Debug Tutotorial would be most welcome!)Cheers,- jahman.

These additions to FSX.cfg got rid of the problem for my laptop which uses an ATI card:[bufferPools]UsePools=0 [GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1 I have an NVIDIA on my desktop, which is my most powerful system, and I get the smartassembly message once in a while,a nd the code above did not help. I downloaded the trial version of smartassembly and recreated the flights that had a CTD in the past, and so far no problems. I don't use the smartassembly program, but it seems that just having it installed is preventing the error. Unfortunately when the trial ends, I would have to buy smartassembly for a ridiculous $795. I'll see if I can just keep it installed after the trial to see if it does make a difference. I might even contact the folks at RedGate and ask them if they are aware of how FSX relies on their porgram for stability. I just can't pay $795 for something I will never open since I'm not a software programmer.I have looked at other forums and the intial blame was on add-ons like UT2 and Level-D, but those programs are not responsible for the smartassembly CTD. If I find out anything else, I'll report back.Cheers!LuisKMIA

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

This is most interesting because I had never seen or heard of this before, but have had it happpen a few times over the last couple of weeks or so. Did I happen to pickup something that caused this program to suddenly become needed, and it's absence to become noticed for the first time? Are any more facts known yet?Kind regards,

I think certain add-ons rely on Microsot.NET Framework 4.0, which apparently relies on smartassembly for optimal operation. I sent a message to RedGate support asking them if they are aware of the FSX link to smartassembly, but have not received a reply. I guess this wll continue to be a mystery in progress.LuisKMIA

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Guest jahman

As I posted earlier on, SmartAss :-) is a third-party code obfuscator to discourage reverse-engineering the program code. If you install a third-party add-on that was compiled with SmartAss, and for some reason the SmartAss runtime installation is rendered incomplete (e.g. a required SmartAss runtime file is deleted), then when FSX tries to run the code of that Add-On, the Add-On will try to load the SmartAss runtime, and since files are missing, you will get a CTD with SmarAss shown as the culprit.When you install the SmartAss SDK (developer's toolkit) your original (broken) SmartAss installation is no longer needed and is superceded by a brand-spanking new install courtesy of the SmartAss SDK. But this solution is expensive to make permanent!The other route is to identify the Smart-Assed Add-On (or Add-Ons) and reinstall just one of them: When you re-install the Smart-&@($* Add-on, it in turn automatically re-installs the Smart-&@($* runtime, so all Add-Ons relying on Smart-&@($* will no longer CTD.Think of the Smart-&@($* runtime as if it where the .NET (or to a lesser degree, MSVC) runtime: If you try to run a .NET program and the .NET runtime is damaged or not installed, you would get CTD or similar fatal error.Cheers,- jahman.

I asked the folks at Red Gate if there was any way to get a cheap, watered-down version for us non-programmers who just want a stable FSX, but they said this is pretty much FSX developer's problem. I wonder if after my 14-day trial expires, just having the program istalled without ever having opened it will avoid the error. I have run all types of flights and add-ons with the trial istalled, and I have not had a single crash.HAPPY 2011!LuisKMIA

LUIS LINARES

I can say that having Smart Assembly installed, even after the 14-day trial expires, is doing the trick. LuisKMIA

LUIS LINARES

I got ultimate traffic 2 (add-on), when i install it and want to compile it and use it i get this errori searched a lot but non of the solution worked :(, i also dont have the traffic in my FSX. I am using win7, 32 bitsit has been a long time i was waiting for this time to play with ultimate traffic but :(:(:( no lucki hope you guys can help me.I also removed the fine that you guys also talked about from system32/ folderthis feature requires that smartassembly is available on this computer

I only have flight 1 software add-ons and they say smart &@($* and smart assembly is not included so where else can it be coming from? I have a w7 pro 64 bit with sp1 system and it has net 3.5 and 3.5 sp1 and  4.5 should I uninstall 4.5?

From the AVSIM CTD Guide:

Make sure required Microsoft.net Framework Packages are installed and up-to-date - The appropriate Microsoft.net Framework packages are normally installed when you first install FSX/Acceleration/P3D and commercial add-on programs if the appropriate package is not found.  You will need versions 1.1 through the latest. You can see what versions are installed by going to your Windows Explorer and look for Windows/Microsoft.net/Framework/(then the versions installed). Once the packages are installed, Windows Update will periodically update the packages.  You can verify whether your versions are properly installed and up-to-date by using the .Net Framework Setup Verification Tool User's Guide.  Microsoft.net packages are used by developers to make sure the program runs in the way they intended, including memory management. The packages are, for the most part, not backward compatible.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10