Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

New panel lighting

I've always found the PMDG 737 panel lighting difficult in night flights. The background is totally black, so that finding gear/throttle etc. levers is almost impossible. Yet again tonight I gave up and switched to daylight so I could see what I am doing! I've been browsing for some new panel lighting so that I can see the panel in the dark (surely in the real world pilots have a cockpit light, not just the lights from the instruments?!) - can anyone suggest one that would be suitable (rather than my installing by trial and error).Many thanks,Martin

Hi, I regularly browse AVSIM's Utilities library looking for useful stuff, but have never come across this. I've downloaded it and will post back results. Thank you.Martin

Martin,Where did you find it .. I looked in the library?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Just click on the word 'this' in vololiberista's post - it's a link to the file.Not sure yet whether it's going to be able to alter the background lighting - it seems to be just for the gauges, nut I haven't fully explored it yet.Martin

Just click on the word 'this' in vololiberista's post - it's a link to the file.Not sure yet whether it's going to be able to alter the background lighting - it seems to be just for the gauges, nut I haven't fully explored it yet.Martin
It does both! The gauges and the background overall lighting.vololiberista

That's good - as I say, I only had a brief look at it - I saw that it is shareware too, but I think all the functionality is there in the unregistered version, just a bit more manual editing to do than in the payware version .. Will try it out ASAP.Martin

For some unknown reason it is not a "link" on my browser/PC."I've always found the PMDG 737 panel lighting difficult in night flights."I wonder if the real aircraft is this way?

Best Regards,

Here:http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=GaugeGlow.exe&CatID=root&Go=Searchbut I can't see how to use it, you can't open any files in the unregistered version and there's no help file unless you have paid for the software either..Martin

Here:http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=GaugeGlow.exe&CatID=root&Go=Searchbut I can't see how to use it, you can't open any files in the unregistered version and there's no help file unless you have paid for the software either..Martin
The link works fine in Firefox. Why not try FS Panel Studio? You'll have to pay for that though. But worth every penny!I have been able to make many changes to my DM VC10 panel with that. In effect making the panel "legal" as the a/c is over 5,700kg and therefore must have instrumentation that conforms to modern regulations in order to maintain its certification. The help file works in my version!!!!!!!! Try clicking on the "?" then on "help!" The numbers represent percentage so 255 is equal to 1.00. You will need therefore to manually calculate say 70% of 255 so the colour setting would be colour 178 in your eventual cfg. file. Or you can acquire a decimal to hex convertor B2 is equal to 178. Using the unregistered version just means you will have to use your brain a bit more!vololiberista

Thanks for your help.That link works fine, and I use Firefox and the original one did not ... it did not appear as hypertext normally does.Anyway, I also have FS Panel Studio ... but new to using it .. so will try a few things in the next few days on FS9.1 2D cockpit... I seldom use VC cockpit.I cannot find the price for this software/sales site/forum?Can it be used on all FS9.1 aircraft?

Best Regards,

It does both! The gauges and the background overall lighting.vololiberista
Where to purchase?Cost?Can we seen a before and after screenshot of the new panel lighting possibility.

Best Regards,

Where to purchase?Cost?Can we seen a before and after screenshot of the new panel lighting possibility.
If you wish to purchase read the help file!As for a before and after screenshot. A before shot was similar to this but much darker obviously! The instruments show up white against a dark grey cockpit. Which is not correct!!Whereas the correct cockpit colour is dark orange and the instruments likewise. On my system I have the instruments slightly brighter so that they stand out more. The real instruments are lit internally. So far I have not found a way to replicate that. In this image I have shown the overhead as well. You can see the light reflection from the cabin pressurisation gauges top left!vololiberista

vololiberista,I did not read the help file because I did not install any software.Thank you for the information and the screenshots.

Best Regards,

I gave up with GaugeGlow - unless you buy the programme nothing works (I can't open or save anything, I just get the message that the function is not available in the unregistered version - not even the Help file is there unless you buy it so I don't even know how to use the programme)... So I deleted it.I am sure Panel Studio is good, but I don't really want to buy software for a single small task (and then possibly never use it again). If anyone has any other ideas as to how I can change the night lighting on the PMDG 737 panel, please let me know. Thanks,M.