Sign in to follow this  

Emperor's new clothes

Guest SD Sim

This has nothing to do with flightsim at all. But in honor of our now defunct rating system, I thought I would shed some of my other baggage as well. What do you think of my new look?? I feel like a Yugo. No frills, but I can still get the job done (although I might be a little slower).

>This has nothing to do with flightsim at all. But in >honor of our now defunct rating system, I thought I would >shed some of my other baggage as well. What do you think of >my new look?? >>I feel like a Yugo. No frills, but I can still get the job >done (although I might be a little slower). Sounds good to me, David. Signatures might be the next thing to get some strict policies since some cannot be reasonable without strict guidance. :-)

Yes, they are getting out of hand. Many people have signatures that are consistenly larger than the content of their posts, including images of 100KB or more.That's costing considerable bandwidth to both Avsim and people reading the forums (and don't forget, bandwidth IS money).

Scott,When I finally decided to get a website for my Sports Cards, I felt guilty for having Avsim foot the cost of data transfer for my sigs. So I decided to host them myself and the strangest thing happened, my sigs all magically shrunk down to around 4K. :-lol Go figure ;-)Roger

Quite right (agreed after I double checked the size of my "sig" to make sure I had not done something really dumb).... Fortunately I think most of the sigs seem to be hosted away from AVSIM so it only affects the reader - but some of them are way too big.It would be more than reasonable to restrict the size - both in terms of pixels & bytes.

ZLee,No, my host didn't compress it. I was joking. I'm paying for my own bandwidth now, so I reduced the size of my sigs.My point was, that if you have to pay for your sigs bandwidth, you will be more careful about file size.Roger

>ZLee, >>No, my host didn't compress it. I was joking. I'm paying for >my own bandwidth now, so I reduced the size of my >sigs. >>My point was, that if you have to pay for your sigs >bandwidth, you will be more careful about file size. >>Roger How true that is, Roger. I'm glad at least everyone posting in this thread understands the issue of using AVSIM's bandwidth to upload a sig and the importance of consideration for your fellow user even when you host your own sig.

So if I host my sig somewhere else it does not waster AVSIM bandwidth? I removed my sig a while back because I thought it wasted bandwidth. Or is it better with no gig at all...I just have a few words as my sig now. Take careMike

If you are hosting it on your own web server (such as comes with most Internet service these days - at least, in North America: its widely not an available service across the pond), it consumes no AVSIM bandwidth when it is downloaded outside their server. When you link it, the link makes the browser retrieve it from your server, not AVSIM's.I wasn't actually aware that AVSIM allowed AVSIM hosted banners... If so, that practice should be stopped. There are more than enough free and for cost web servers out there available to avoid that extra burden on AVSIM - the screenshot ability is great enough.I will mention that I dislike the rating system being gone (specially without notice so I could have saved the comments first): I wore those comments like a badge of honor - and it *was* honoring and surprising to find out what people thought of my posts. It actually mellowed my quite a bit to know that my comments could be/were appreciated by others - something I hadn't considered too much in the past. It made me extremely aware when I hit that Post button to be careful of my words and/or criticisms - something this community continues to have a problem with and probably will even more again now that the ratings are gone.Take care,Elrond

Guest Paul_W

>I will mention that I dislike the rating system being gone >(specially without notice so I could have saved the comments >first): I wore those comments like a badge of honor - and it >*was* honoring and surprising to find out what people >thought of my posts. It actually mellowed my quite a bit to >know that my comments could be/were appreciated by others - >something I hadn't considered too much in the past. It made >me extremely aware when I hit that Post button to be careful >of my words and/or criticisms - something this community >continues to have a problem with and probably will even more >again now that the ratings are gone. In your case you no doubt deserved all the stars sent your way and probably more (see?, there's another unofficial one from me, and since I expect no reciprocal "award" it's perhaps all the more meaningful). On the other hand the community awarded others five stars apparently for reasons other than the quality, depth and expert nature of their contributions here. In fact as I understand it that's one of the reasons the system was pulled, though those blatant scenarios are only the worst examples of the phenomenon I'm referring to.There are those who feel they've made good contributions on lots of occasions and have not been recognized--and I have no doubt that's probably the case for many and that it has to do with their visibility and the "who's who" nature of the thing. (By the way, I didn't participate in the system so I'm not one of those.)I think the best form of recognition is the unscheduled, "just-has-to-be-said" form of endorsement. "What you just said really makes sense to me" might be a good one. "Heck, I couldn't have put it better myself" could be another. In a similar vein I'm never really concerned about missing official announcements, reviews or round-ups of the latest FS add-ons; I know the best will get spontaneous and enthusiastic exposure from people who are really impressed with them in the forums. And it's that occasional, unofficial, "word-of-mouth buzz" as they say that will get my attention--if it's from some credible sources at least.I wouldn't worry about the stars. You've probably made the best contributions of anyone here over the past number of months. How many stars is that worth? God knows.

Yeah, I reduced my sig significantly (no PUN intended ;-)) also I am hosting them on my www.x-plane.org webspace, as I used too base it from AVSIM, I stopped for the same reasons of bandwidth. I see some sigs that are as wide as the thread box :-lol crazy, people need too advertise themselves too that extent? :-hah (yes I realise the irony of having the Aeroflot logo and link :-hah)Best Regards Derek Beal :-wavehttp://www.x-plane.org/users/dbeal/header_logo_ru.jpgPROUD RUSSIAN/CANADIAN! :D http://www.x-plane.org/users/dbeal/3dflags...om_russi2bl.gif http://www.x-plane.org/users/dbeal/canadaa.gif

Howabout this!If you plan on using a signature banner in your posts, we would like to remind you that there is a maximum size for banners. That maximum is 450 pixels wide by 120 pixels high, and not to exceed 25k. Your compliance is appreciated.I saw this somewhere!