Sign in to follow this  
Guest m3pimpin

ATP

Guest m3pimpin

Hello i am thinking about being an ATP, and one day hopefully i will. I was just wondering if any real world pilots or if anyone at all knows how Flight Safety schools are? You can find it here, www.flightsafety.com. I still have not gotten my ppl, and need to do so, dont know if they offer it at the one in my are which is in Teterboro, New Jersey. Well thank everyone in advance. Pedro ;-)

Pedro, Although I have never been to a FlightSafety school, I know many pilots who have and they all rate the training there very highly. But FlightSafety mostly caters to already certified pilots seeking a type-rating or recurrent training. You didn't say anything about your age or education. If you are not yet in college perhaps the best idea would be to find a school such as Embry-Riddle or North Dakota that offer a four-year degree (required by major airlines) and training through all ratings to the CFI. They also offer the opportunity to find a right-seat job with a regional so that building time toward the ATP will be the most productive, i.e. turbine time. Lacking the entree to a regional - no matter whether you go to an aviation collge or a Part 141 school such as FlightSafety -- you are going to put in time as an instructor and/or charter pilot to gain the experience to qualify for an airline job. Anyway, good luck with your dream. Bob

FSI offers two options,One is at the Vero Beach FSI Academy this is a more structured program that involves less time in training but sets a higher bar to be met in order to graduate.The other on is at the Lakeland campus, this is more your traditional 61 or 141 school, they meet with each individual student and tailor a training program to fit your needs, you are then assigned to a single instructor and complete your training at your own pace.Both are very good and the name will carry some weight when it comes time to apply for your FIRST job. Beyond that it

Guest m3pimpin

Thank you Bob, you were a grand help, thank you very much for responding. I am currently 16 years old and will be going to my junior year in High School. Would i need to go to a college and still go to Embry-Riddle or can i just obtain a 4 year degree at Embry Riddle? I know Embry-Riddle is also in New Jersey, where I am living. I mean if i do decide to become a pilot I will just go to a 4 year aviation college like Embry-Riddle after high school, and I won't go to college, well i'll go to aviation college :). Well Bob thanx for everything and I am still a little shaky about this, so i would appreciate it very much if you can contact me or if I can even contact you. You can catch me on ICQ my ICQ number is 135724512 or through email which is CoAPorT@aol.com Id like to still ask you some stuff, wanna get a head start on deciding. Thanx. Again thank you Bob, and I appreciate it very much for you taking the time and writing. Hope to hear from you soon. Pedro ;-)

Guest m3pimpin

Thank you to you also J P. And no I do not have 14,000 a year to shell out at ERAU. But I guess it's just something ill have to do if i want to fly. Meaning loans and stuff like that. If the majors will only start hiring again 2006-2008 then ill be in luck and hopefully if i go through with this ill have luck with them. Planning on flying a 757 or 777 for Continental, but for now its just a dream. Much planning, thinking will have to be done. I am aware that after i do get out of a school and apply for jobs they will most likely def. be for a charter company or small freight type. Well its something I will have to be prepared to do, and If i want to fly a 757 or 777 for my airline of choice, I'll just have to wait, but its something i definitely wouldn't mind waiting for, even though the money won't be as good starting out in the industry as other starting jobs e.g. computers, which i am also fond of, and would be my second career choice, but like I said its just about waiting and sorting everything out. Thank you J P. Pedro ;-)

Hi Pedro,I'm a private pilot, and at the age that by the time I was eligible for airline hiring I would be well into retirement :) :) !!That said, I've read your post and replies to/from you in this thread. I only wish that I had asked this same question when I was your age. As the replies indicated, my understanding is also that the future right now is more bleak for airline hiring than a year ago. But, don't ever give up on your dreams, Pedro. At worst, you get to fly as a freight dog until you can't afford to any more; but you will still get to fly! Flight and the aviation industry (even at the FBO and local GA level that I operate with, on weekends) is one of the most dynamic and rewarding to be involved with. I wish you all the very best. Go for it!Bruce.

Guest m3pimpin

Thanx I mean hopefully if i do go to ERAU which will be my school of choice plus its close by, like i said by the time i get out the industry will be better-2008. Hopefully if i even start out for a charter or something like that, im looking to make at least 40,000 a year, i mean yes flying is rewarding but then again, i dont want to be earning small wages which i will have to be struggling with to pay stuff, (know what i mean). If anyone has any insite on the paying for starting out and stuff, please let me know, im just trying to get my stuff sorted out, hey no crime in that is there? :-). I mean we all like to know info at one time, and when it comes to someones career choice, you can take all the information you can get. It is a good thing this is a great industry and we have great people in the flying careers and flightsimming "careers" hehe. Well thanx again all in advance! Any info will be very much appreciated. Pedro ;-)

Hi Pedro,I am kinda in the same boat as you, just a bit older. I am just starting to sort out what route I may wanna take to achieve my flying goals. I cant offer alot of help, but I thought I might point you to www.flightinfo.com and check out "The Hangar" (their forum). I have learned so much about the career paths and recommendations, etc. from some other pilots. There are some pretty intense posts over there from people like you and me to gulfstream captains to 747 captians. A great resource if you wanna fly for a living.-------------Michael

Guest m3pimpin

Thanx for the info Michael! It's a great site, thanx again. ;-) Pedro :-beerchug

Guest m3pimpin

Hmm just did some research at some forums. It seems that ERAU is rasing there tuition, and is about 21,000 next year for enrollment 2003. Awfully to expensive, I mean I do want to get my 4 year degree there, and then build time to become an ATP, and get all my ratings at ERAU, but the price is just to much $! I'd like to attend in the NJ area, cuz they have extended campuses here in NJ, so that also contributes to some money back in the pocket (not paying for boarding, etc.) but 21,000 without books and flight time (im guessing) is just to much. Like I said im trying to find a flight school to get my 4 year degree and make somebody out of myslef make my parents happy with the money I am making and my degree, but me and my parents contributing and with loans 21,000 for enrollment base is alot. And no I do not come from a wealthy family at all. Thanx if anyone has any incite on this please do not hesitate to post, any comments anything, I appreciate everyone's response in advance. Thank you. Pedro