Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scott Campbell

Check out the new signature

I finally got this to work, I think I did anyway...AS you can see, I'm a US Airways fan...

Can't see it. I just see a small pic saying..image hosted by angelfire..Mike

I don't understand that...I point Avsim directly to the file and that show up...Starting to get annoyed

Guest Scott Campbell

I see it just fine.Hopefully they'll keep some of the cool birds when they start selling off the fleet.

You se it? hmmm...I still only see "Image hosted by Angelfire"Mike

Guest RobK

I only see the same thing Mike sees too, "Image hosted by Angelfire". Maybe Angelfire doesn't allow direct linking from other web-sites?Rob

Allas.... try and host your picture somewhere else, it soes not work this way ... sorry :-( :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guys,The problem here is not which browser you choose. The problem, Timmy, is you are trying to remote link to a site that does not allow remote linking ( also referred to as "hot linking" ).Most of the "free", banner ad sites do not allow this, as it allows you to serve files without viewing the ad banner imbedded in the html page. The bandwidth crunch that Ebay caused was another reason for them to disallow this type of linking.You do have a few choices though. Most ISPs offer some sort of file space for your account. These usually have no restrictions on remote linking, because technically, you are paying for the service. The other option is to get yourself some web hosting and pay for your bandwidth. I wouldn't waste my time looking for free hosting that allows hot linking, it virtually doesn't exist anymore.For those confused as to why sometimes you can view the image in one browser and not the other: This has to do with the quality of the htaccess file that was used. Some are written better than others, and some webmasters use other types of scripts to block access, forgoing htaccess altogether. Netscape & IE have always clashed, and it is a challenge to webmaaster for both...example: I just had to completely redesign my site yesterday, due to issues that Netscape users were having.....and still having to some degree :-roll I'm still learning.Cheers,Roger

Guest Scott Campbell

Roger,I guess angelfire forgot to add AT&T Broadband Cable static IP's (or any DSL static IP's). ;-)The key may be static vs. dynamic IP addy's. I don't know how the security or access code works since I've never had to write any.

Scott,Technically, It should not matter what the individual IP of the referrer is. Trying to code for every possible variant would be impossible.My host runs Apache servers. On Apache you can write a simple .htaccess file that excludes everything that is referred outside your domain in the form of a mod_rewrite. In other words, unless the referrer starts with "//www.mydomainnamehere.com", it will disallow the link. You can choose an image to send, such as "this person is stealing my stuff", or just have it represented as "broken".I have no idea what servers Angelfire is running, but most link blocking scripts don't require you to list every IP you want to block. I do know that you can selectively block out IPs, but Angelfire would just want to block them all, and probably not use that type of selective script.There is a reason that you may get different results depending on the browser you us, and I think this has to do with how the browser handle the referring process. This is a gray area for me though, as I'm still trying to learn the ins & outs of Netscape,Opera, etc....and I don't yet have a good knowledge of how they differ from IE.Cheers,Roger

Guest Scott Campbell

Roger,If it's the referrer, then it has to do with my firewall which blocks the referrer. So maybe Angelfire thinks I'm directly looking at the site.That sounds moer likely since both Netscape and IE will display Tim's sig.(addendum)Well, that confirms it. I just disabled my firewall and got the same thing everyone else is seeing. Blocking the referrer is what's doing it.Thanks for the comment. I'd never have thought about it.

Ahh ! Now, the only question left is: why is my firewall not blocking the referrer! :-lol Is that a bad thing ??????Nice catch,Roger

Well I'm only 16 and so paying for a service is out of the question. I have AOL. Do you know if I can upload it to them somehow?TIMMY