Sign in to follow this  
THibben

Facebook

Call me old fashioned, as I am old, but I have no desire to get on Facebook. The risks involved with a total lack of privacy totally outway any benefits.Will PMDG's decision to go on Facebook result in some information, pictures etc only being available there or will all be simultaneously available on the PMDG forum?The announcement indicates some special offers will be available only on Facebook. This seems unfair to those who may have no desire to be there.I have been a loyal PMDG customer from the start and don't want to be left out of the information stream.Just my thoughts,Tom

Call me old fashioned, as I am old, but I have no desire to get on Facebook. The risks involved with a total lack of privacy totally outway any benefits.Will PMDG's decision to go on Facebook result in some information, pictures etc only being available there or will all be simultaneously available on the PMDG forum?The announcement indicates some special offers will be available only on Facebook. This seems unfair to those who may have no desire to be there.I have been a loyal PMDG customer from the start and don't want to be left out of the information stream.Just my thoughts,Tom
There will be (already is) exclusive info on the PMDG facebook page. Some FANTASTIC pics of the NGX are already posted up there at an average of one per day. I can see your concern. I am right there with you, and I don't have a facebook account either! But you can still view their page without being a FB member! That way, your privacy is still protected.Click this link to view their FB page without signing in to FB, I'd recommend bookmarking it so you can check it regularly.http://www.facebook.com/pages/PMDG/165758250130634?v=wallTake Care

Ethan,Thanks for the info. I am glad you can at least get access to the page without having to join facebook.I still don't understand their reasoning though on preceding facebook.Tom

Ethan,Thanks for the info. I am glad you can at least get access to the page without having to join facebook.I still don't understand their reasoning though on preceding facebook.Tom
Tom,A ton of businesses are on Facebook now, including many of the biggest out there. Like it or not, social networking sites like Facebook are here to stay. There's literally billions of people signed up for it, and that's not something any forward looking business can ignore. Additionally, people had started creating PMDG Facebook pages without our permission - people thought those were actually us, so we decided to make an official one ourselves or risk losing control of our brand and message to people on the site.By the way, for what it's worth I think the privacy concerns with Facebook are very overblown in the media. Your profile only contains what you tell it to and you can have that be basically nothing to people who aren't on your friends list. I think a lot of the hysteria over privacy there is caused by people who never check their settings and set their profile options up.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

agreed with ryan. i am a 15 year old on facebook, and not had a single pervert or any sick person viewing my profile. i am ultra private (where by only friends can view my profile.)

agreed with ryan. i am a 15 year old on facebook, and not had a single pervert or any sick person viewing my profile. i am ultra private (where by only friends can view my profile.)
I'm with Ryan and Dylan on this...privacy concerns way overblown and fodder for the media, which constantly hungers for controversy to the point of manufacture.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

PMDG "wall" pics can be viewed without having to be registered with FB. I am not on FB (no desire/need currently - yes I am an old guy). I have downloaded the NGX pics and have them part of my W7 screensaver setup.

By the way, for what it's worth I think the privacy concerns with Facebook are very overblown in the media. Your profile only contains what you tell it to and you can have that be basically nothing to people who aren't on your friends list. I think a lot of the hysteria over privacy there is caused by people who never check their settings and set their profile options up.
+1

Noah Bryant

I have no problem with Facebook except I have no desire to be registered on it. That was not the point of my comments. My primary concern was:"Will PMDG's decision to go on Facebook result in some information, pictures etc. only being available there, or will all be simultaneously available on the PMDG forum?The announcement indicates some special offers will be available only on Facebook. This seems unfair to those who may have no desire to be there."As far as I can see PMDG has not answered this.Thanks,Tom

They send different kinds of information out through different mediums. And in every instance, someone has made a post saying "Oh they put up a new screenshot on FB!" or "Check out this e-mail they sent out" so you end up getting the same information anyway. I don't recall them saying there will be special offers, only slightly exclusive info/screenshots that are easily accessible.

Tom,Obviously we want people to go to all the different outlets we have set up so yeah there's going to be exclusive content at each place - our site, the forum, Facebook, the mailing list and so on. If you're not willing to check the Facebook page occasionally (again, you don't have to be a Facebook member to do this) then you could miss some things.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Tom-Not to worry... This forum is still the primary place to receive communication from us on upcoming products.We will occasionally throw something on Facebook that hasn't been in the forum yet- but it'll appear here too eventually.For us this is really about the connectivity- an the market growth it could potentially bring to our product lines. After all, if a simmer with a few hundred friends makes a couple people aware of us for the first time via the social connectivity capability on Facebook- then it helps us grow.We've spent more than a decade making this forum our home tho- so don't worry- you won't miss anything!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Tom-Not to worry... This forum is still the primary place to receive communication from us on upcoming products.We will occasionally throw something on Facebook that hasn't been in the forum yet- but it'll appear here too eventually.For us this is really about the connectivity- an the market growth it could potentially bring to our product lines. After all, if a simmer with a few hundred friends makes a couple people aware of us for the first time via the social connectivity capability on Facebook- then it helps us grow.We've spent more than a decade making this forum our home tho- so don't worry- you won't miss anything!
Robert,Thanks, that was the answer I was hoping to see. I hope your expansion to Facebook will bring in many more customers. That will help all of us.Looking forward to the NG as I was part of the Flight Test team on the #2 737 built and accrued many flight hours.Thanks,Tom

Tom, as requested: You're old fashioned. Big%20Grin.gifSeriously, Facebook can be a minefield of privacy issues, but you can lock it way down if you want. People who tend to have privacy issues tend to never look at their settings, and click on every idiotic application or link (e.g., "OMG, Look at this!!!!!!!!!!") , some of which can mine information that gets you on a spam factory or worse. But, these are the same people who download every link they see on the Internet anyway.

I will certainly keep an eye on Facebook. You are absolutely right about where you wander on these sites. Of course that is true of the basic web also.Thanks for all of the inputs. I guess it is time for this OLD fashioned guy to take a nap.(grin).Tom