Sign in to follow this  
Minos

Flight Simulation on a Netbook

I have one of these new ultra mobile netbooks (running on a dual core Atom) with no graphic card.I am wondering if there are any kind of simulator that would run on these... after all the iphone runs a light x-plane...Obviously not the big names...but there might be some little jewels here and there that couls be worth trying (maybe Orbiter 10).Any experience so far?My regards,Minos

Condor maybe? That runs well on my laptop.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I'm running FS2004 on a 10-year-old 1.2 GHz Pentium with only a half-gig of RAM. I've got a graphics card that was decent but nothing special 10 years ago, too. You might be able to run FS2004 on a laptop, particularly if you dial back the sliders a bit. It can't be much worse than my old relic.

i've used a acer aspire one (AAo) for just over three years. great for basic www-browsing, word/data processing, and a few other low demand (of the CPU) applications - such as watching movies with an external DVD drive on my sailboat.i have used the AAo for 90% of my computer needs since purchased. the 3cell batter that came with the AAo died last spring. i now have a 6-cell and get 5-6 hours of run time when not hooked to city power. this is more than double the battery life of the 3-cell. on my boat i uses a 12v converter to go to the 9v the AAo uses. i figure i can leave the AAo on 24 hours a day for more than a week before draining down a group 24 battery.the lack of a videocard means NO GAMING except maybe something like freecell, solitaire, etc.my mother purchased as AAo last may (2010) with a slightly faster processor and more memory. it has a 'limited' version of win7 ... so it runs about as fast as my winXP AAo, but with all with BS of win7's 'secruity features and enhancements'. my mother's faster netbook CPU and memory mean that many tasks happen a little faster.the lack of memory and CPU power is a limiation. for example - the AVSIM forum update resulted in a 10X, yes TEN TIMES, increase in load time for pages. the AAo will take 30-40 seconds (yes, you read correctly) to load a long thread or the main forum directory because of the multiple 'bells and whistles' the new forum software contains. in general i dislike visiting AVSIM when using my netbook ... and as a result use my desktop a bit more as a result. the desktop saw a 2x increase in load speed ... so 1 second to 2-3 seconds to load a VATSIM page. the loading/access issues relate to the higher CPU and memory demand of the VATSIM forum ... this a 'light duty' netbook cannot do.again, the AVSIM forum software is a bit bloated. this contrasts to flightsim.com's, sailing focused forums, those forums i moderate (i'm a moderator for both FS and sailboat related forums), and my own sailing focused www-sites, that load quickly and easily on my AAo.in closing ... use a netbook for what it was created - light CPU duty tasks, NOT gaming.now, if you wanting a gaming computer purchase a desktop unit. better yet build your own. for the cost savings of building your own desktop gaming computer you can then purchase a <$300 netbook and have two computers.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/