Sign in to follow this  
derianc

I want to join VATSIM but...

Hey everyone, these past weeks i've been thinking of joining VATSIM but i'm a bit worried and confused. To make it simple, i'd be screwed when it comes to the ATC part... I need to learn how to reply to them, what is important, what's not etc. where can I learn to do so? Also, what do I need to do to join?

A good place to start is the vatsim website. It has all the info you're asking for there

Gavin Price

Hey mate,Don't worry if you're confused, we all were at some point! I'm more than happy to explain stuff to you if you don't quite understand. All you need to join is have a passion for aviation :PTry and read through all the documentation you can find on the VATSIM website www.vatsim.net

Each to their own, but I personally use IVAO and you can read all their pilot / controller information @ http://www.ivao.co.uk/ for starters try http://www.ivao.co.uk/atc/sop and http://www.ivao.co.uk/atc/docsThe reason, by the way, I use IVAO is that their software integrates better for me and their MTL means I see others online flying their correct livery - just thought I'd say that to stop all the VATSIM vs. IVAO flames....

Guest wims
VATSIM Pilot Resource Center. Make sure you read and understand what is said there.
Can I just ask, is IVAO better for EU simmers over Vatsim?
If they are better depends on alot of factors, and it probably varies from person to person (some people like lots of traffic, other likes lots of ATC, some like GA traffic, while something like ATC professionalism might be the most important factor to yet another person). Its impossible to measure. However, one thing that is possible to measure is the amount of traffic in the airspace at both networks. You can do that with a tool called Dolomynum. You can download it from http://dlmn.net/dl.html. Its not 100% capable of showing ATC tho, as new airspace sectors are created all the time, and traffic visualisation tools like DLMN would need to be updated for every such new airspace division

IVAO has more traffic in Europe than AmericaVATsim Mostly has more traffic in America, but still quite a lot in Europe. I think it's even-ing out a bit.

IMO, No. There are just as many controllers on in Europe as IVAO

In VATSIM, there is MUCH more controlling in the UK, as shown in the picture than on IVAO. As a pilot I also appreciated the much better higher quality service I got in Europe on VATSIM.

While the two networks are evenly matched in Europe, in NA, VATSIM has large amounts of traffic, while IVAO has virtually none. In SA, IVAO has much more traffic than VATSIM.

Joe Sherrill

Regarding the still currently civil IVAO vs VATSIM discussion:I understand the "to each his own" theory, but keep in mind the poster's thread title.The best way to learn on either network is to read their documentation and then log on and ask a controller who is online if you need further clarification.

Kyle Rodgers

Sorry,here is a break downIVAO control and pilots are far more dense in Europe [Look above, see the comparison for europe, there is 2/3 times more? .]IVAO also has more members online on the whole look above. Vatsim has more traffic in North America the United Kingdom [trend is changing] and northern scandinaviaright now for my personal opinionThe reason there is less controller in the UK, is because we have an extremely high rate of training, which in all honesty is not running smoothly at the moment. The average student has to train for 6months in order to control at major aerodromes in the UK.Thats the reason why,, HOWEVER, The quality of controlling in the UK is obviously very very high, as it is compulsory to train in order to control at heatrhow/gatwick etcAlso, the ivao interface is much simpler and actually really good,your computer will download a basic exterior model for EVERY aircraft, and EVERY airline,, so if a certain Spanish pilot is sitting at the next stand to you at london gatwick, you will see, ON YOUR SCREEN, a aircraft model and livery that HE is flying, thats it.Honestly, if you are unsure, try both, thats the key, try both well, and see which you preferAlex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Does anyone ever have stats to back up the "this one has more traffic and ATC than the other" comments?I'm not saying one is right or wrong, but both can't be right, so I want data.I'll be that guy.

Kyle Rodgers

Guest wims
...Also, the ivao interface is much simpler and actually really good,your computer will download a basic exterior model for EVERY aircraft, and EVERY airline,, so if a certain Spanish pilot is sitting at the next stand to you at london gatwick, you will see, ON YOUR SCREEN, a aircraft model and livery that HE is flying, thats it....
Its like that on VATSIM as well :) You can infact use any model you like, for example, after pmdg releases the ngx you can use that for traffic 3d models if you prefer those to the other lower resolution / detail ones that are normally used for traffic.