Sign in to follow this  
derianc

I want to join VATSIM but...

As to the why don't they merge question... from the (now offline) unoffical VATSIM FAQ: (copy is located here: http://web.archive.org/web/20070616162850/http://users.adelphia.net/~jbartosh02/vat_faq.htm#V-2 )

Q # V-2) Why don't VATSIM and IVAO merge ? Wouldn't it be better for both networks ?A) I re-post this reply from VATSIM founding member Harv Stein:"As most of you know, I never read newsgroups or Forums, unless asked to by members on a specific topic. Such is the case with this response. Maybe we can point to it next time this topic comes up.When Satco was formed, it was the only online organization of its kind in the world. A gentleman named Morten Hansen was the European director for Satco Europe. I will not get into any details but Morten and Randy Whistler, the Executive Director of Satco had some differences in ideas for Satco and Satco Europe. Morten and Randy decided to part company and Morten formed IVAO. In 2001* the organization known as Satco was closed and VATSIM took over all the responsibilities and membership of Satco in a virtual seamless manner. Today the 2 main organizations worldwide are VATSIM and IVAO.Of course I am partial to VATSIM. I had a part in forming VATSIM, but, I also have had dealings with Morten and his organization. I personally have always found Morten to be a gentlemen and dedicated to his organization and to our hobby.Our organizations have differences and different philosophies, but the goal in both is to Learn, Enjoy and Have Fun. The one question I getasked all the time is, why don't the 2 organizations merge into one. Well, over the years, the differences we have and the distance betweenthem has grown to the point where a merger just is not in the cards. Besides operational and logistical problems, there is always the issue of Politics. No matter how we try, politics will always be a part of everything we do. Neither of us is better than the other. We are just different in most things we do. This difference gives the flightsim world choices. To have quality choices in life is something to be thankful for. I am so glad that our community has choices in VATSIM or IVAO. Both are quality organizations with top notch people running them. Lets all be thankful that both exist. Blue Skies Always.Harv. -- Harv Stein harveys@gto.netBoard of Governors VATSIMLondon Ontario Canada"* corrected from the original pos
Luca

Guest wims
The point about traffic is true, but the altimeter setting information is not that simple. It is not required to be read back per the 7110.65 and I don't recall it being mentioned in the FAR/AIM. All we really want to hear is that you got the altitude right.....
Actually, reading back altimeter is required in Europe.VATEUD pilot manual : http://vateud.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=150 VATEUD ATC manual : http://vateud.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112&Itemid=175#6
Items that must always be read back in full are all clearances (including altitudes' date=' heaings, speeds, radials etc), runway in use, altimeter setting (QNH or QFE) and transition level, and all frequencies[/quote']

Got it. It wasn't clear in your first post, so I just answered for the US because the OP is from Orlando, FL.

Kyle Rodgers

I see only advantages in merging IVAO and VATSIM, more people, more ATC, more pilots....Big%20Grin.gifIt will be great...(but, i must admit, the project have also a lot of enemies in the respective forums...)
I would love to see them merged, too.But, unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen...

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

2-3 years before i was at your shoes. Joined both of them, tested both of them, and PERSONALLY i chose VATSIM because:a)better ATC services in MY opinionb)Closer to "as real as it gets"again this is MY opinion only gyus...But i have something to say to you. Regardless of the network, I HAVE NEVER flown OFFLINE..I have flown offline only when i tweak my FS...When i fly offline i think i am playing just a game, and i dont want that..:))))

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Elias Stassinos - Author of PTTBuddy - Automatic volume control while you fly / play /stream
My FS Photos - My MSFS Settings - i7-8700K / 32GB RAM / Gigabyte 3070 8GB OC / 1440p

Thanks alot everyone, i'm still trying to figure out how to sign up and everything I need to do to get online. Do I need FSINN or something? Well on another note, i'm gonna go take my permit test- last part- Road Rules and signs so brb

Whoever made that decision to "screw this I'll make my own network"... well thanks a lot buddy. With your cowardice you've single handedly crippled what could've been a great community. Now we're having 6-800 ppl on two networks instead of 1400 on one. Thanks for the empty skies mate, appreciate it.BTW I've got an account on both networks and choose one or the other based on traffic/coverage where I'd like to fly that particular night. I've got no idea how this whole thing started. Does anybody know anymore?
Ego? :)Best Regards,Bert Van BulckP.S.: I know for a fact that current IVAO president and VATSIM president get along fine

Thanks alot everyone, i'm still trying to figure out how to sign up and everything I need to do to get online. Do I need FSINN or something?
Or you can use Sqauwkbox. I don't know what the pros or cons are of each one but at least there's choice.Hope your first flight goes well. It's pretty scary on your first time. Just make sure you're well prepared with charts and a pen and paper.

Gavin Price

The point about traffic is true, but the altimeter setting information is not that simple. It is not required to be read back per the 7110.65 and I don't recall it being mentioned in the FAR/AIM. All we really want to hear is that you got the altitude right.
7110.65 isn't the phraseology bible for the world. Readback of the altimeter setting is mandatory in many places.References:AIP Australia GEN 3.4/4.4.1New Zealand AC91-9 and AC172-1 4.12.1United Kingdon CAP 413 1.14.5Nick Jones

Hi Derian,I would recommend that you choose an airport with a controller and sit somewhere away from moving traffic and listen to what is going on. Although some of the controllers speak rapidly I have found when getting reacquainted with the going's on of ATC it was a much smoother when doing it this way.Don't forget, we've all had to learn and for the most part everyone remembers their first few flight's in the virtual world, so don't be worried about learning.Say, can anyone tell me why ATC will use the phrase "Follow the Company 737", why is that used to describe an airliner?

\Robert Hamlich/

Or you can use Sqauwkbox. I don't know what the pros or cons are of each one but at least there's choice.Hope your first flight goes well. It's pretty scary on your first time. Just make sure you're well prepared with charts and a pen and paper.
And I cant get either one to work. Not bagging, but the support guy could not help me. So I've got another community that I like to fly in.FYI, A single player ATC flight is not TOTALLY unrealistic (No one said it wasn't, but I gotta say it). You can pick up some pointers on phraseology, just dont follow it to the letter.The biggest things to worry about when transitioning are
  • The ATC box does not pop up when the controller talks to you, listen up.
  • Frequencies do not auto-tune (but you knew that), listen intently for the handoff frequency.
  • "Position and Hold" is now "Line up and Wait." Not a big difference for our European friends, but is a recent change in the US.
  • Know your aircraft. A new pilot will likely get some breaks, but make a good first impression by flying proficently.

EDIT:

[say, can anyone tell me why ATC will use the phrase "Follow the Company 737", why is that used to describe an airliner?
The controller will use this when the preceding aircraft if from your same airline. "United 233, follow company (United) 747 to runway 1L."

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Guest wims
...Say, can anyone tell me why ATC will use the phrase "Follow the Company 737", why is that used to describe an airliner?
I'm not an expert, but I believe that only applies for traffic that fly for the same airline company / cargo company as the one you are flying for. Say you fly for American Airlines, if ATC tells you to "Follow the company 737" he means follow the American Airlines 737.

And I cant get either one to work. Not bagging, but the support guy could not help me. So I've got another community that I like to fly in.The controller will use this when the preceding aircraft if from your same airline. "United 233, follow company (United) 747 to runway 1L."
I'm not an expert, but I believe that only applies for traffic that fly for the same airline company / cargo company as the one you are flying for. Say you fly for American Airlines, if ATC tells you to "Follow the company 737" he means follow the American Airlines 737.
Thanks fellas, that makes a whole lot of sense, I appreciate your help.Eric, I assume you fly VATSIM? Have you tried FSCopilot/FSInn? Installation is simple, if you need help I can lend a hand.

\Robert Hamlich/

Yep, I tried Vatsim, still got my account and stuff but theres something screwy with my FSX. One, I own AFX (Flight one), whenever I try to save an edited AFCAD it warns me that my location is for FS9. I ignored it because it worked anyway. Next came FS commander 9 which I installed last week. It tried to default to FS9 as well when I told it where my stuff was. I am assuming now that neither product works (FScopilot/Inn) because of my FSX location, believing me to be FS9, so it wont load properly. I am at a loss.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

7110.65 isn't the phraseology bible for the world. Readback of the altimeter setting is mandatory in many places.References:AIP Australia GEN 3.4/4.4.1New Zealand AC91-9 and AC172-1 4.12.1United Kingdon CAP 413 1.14.5Nick Jones
Yes. I know this. Thus my post, which you can see above, referencing the fact that the original poster is from the US, so I answered accordingly.
Got it. It wasn't clear in your first post, so I just answered for the US because the OP is from Orlando, FL.

Kyle Rodgers