Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

One of the perks of being surrounded by airports

Today on the way home from work I was reflecting on one of the things I like about living in a big city. Lots of things I don't like--traffic, smog, noise, etc.... But living in a big city is an opportunity to see aviation up close. I saw my first Eclipse jet the other day. I was quite curious about the VLJ concept when it came into focus, and I was quite amazed to see how quiet an Eclipse is when in the pattern. I heard somewhat of a "whoosh", looked overhead, and there it was on its downwind leg. I could not even hear it as it turned base....Today I saw a Gulfstream turning to final while I was driving home from the office, and was quite surprised at how tight the turn was in relation to the threshold of the runway. It was a very short final for such a large bizjet. And it was a sight to see.Just wanted to share, I've always loved aviation from all angles--from the ground, from inside the cockpit, and from the perspective of just being along for the ride. And, when I can, from the perspective of my RC glider or the perspective of my sims.Regards,John

Back when, CYWG used to see Canadian Pacific Boeing 747's land and take off during the winter vacation season. Another reason I like to live in the city. Don't see them anymore. Ward Air flew out of here to but I don't remember what the aircraft were. St. Maarten is on my bucket list. I want to hold on to that fence.JimCYWG

You actually see more of a variety of aircraft at a GA airport than a commercial one. Where I am I see all the business jets, GA aircraft, 2 TF-51D Mustangs, Crazy Horse (That's the one I flew on), and Crazy Horse 2, AT6, and SNJ's. They fly over my house everyday! Music to my ears!!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I used to live in Indy, and way back before the psychoterrosit gave us 911, I used to go tho the airport for hours on end armed with my trusted binoculars, and just enjoy the view.Mainly b737's, erj's, crj's, busses,some props and the "loud yet majestic" NW DC9-30's.There was a spotting area past the FedEx terminal which was sadly closed after that sad day, and one afternoon, low and behold 4 FA-18's land. I guess it must have been a refueling stop, because they lined up and took off after an hour.Boy was that a joy at the time.

Waleed N