Sign in to follow this  
Guest TwinShadow

Maddog MD-80 Tutorial

Guest TwinShadow

I can't tell you how many hours I put into trying to fly this thing, read the PDF files, look at various Youtube videos and what-not just to learn how to fly this aircraft and I still can't. Sad ain't it? I've done Google searches, nothing good.. All I get are to sites or videos that are in some other language than English, and it is real bothersome when I can't understand 'em either. Another thing from some videos is that they use the virtual cockpit a lot, which I'm fine with, but its hard to see exactly what's going on and they don't zoom in or something.This is what I'm asking. Does anyone have any good tutorials (text or video, doesn't really matter) that actually detail out specific steps on how to fly? I can turn on the engines, that's no problem, I made a tutorial for that myself a while back. What I don't understand is virtually everything after, from taxi, takeoff, climb, cruise, T/D, descent, approach, land.. Its like greek to me and I don't understand the actual steps and procedures for it. Hopefully some fellow simmers here could help me out.

I can't tell you how many hours I put into trying to fly this thing, read the PDF files, look at various Youtube videos and what-not just to learn how to fly this aircraft and I still can't. Sad ain't it? I've done Google searches, nothing good.. All I get are to sites or videos that are in some other language than English, and it is real bothersome when I can't understand 'em either. Another thing from some videos is that they use the virtual cockpit a lot, which I'm fine with, but its hard to see exactly what's going on and they don't zoom in or something.This is what I'm asking. Does anyone have any good tutorials (text or video, doesn't really matter) that actually detail out specific steps on how to fly? I can turn on the engines, that's no problem, I made a tutorial for that myself a while back. What I don't understand is virtually everything after, from taxi, takeoff, climb, cruise, T/D, descent, approach, land.. Its like greek to me and I don't understand the actual steps and procedures for it. Hopefully some fellow simmers here could help me out.
I understand from your text that this is something you have already done, but I simply sat down with a printed copy of the tutorial flight and took it from there time and time again! I am sure there are plenty of steps that I do wrong but I always manage to get down in one piece and not being shouted at by the controllers at VATSIM. Well, expect for the occasional mishaps where I lose an engine during take off - and I still have no idea why - and have to declare an emergency (note to self, you can't fly from KLAX to KSFO with one engine and expect to climb to final and filed cruise level. Listen to the controller next time...)

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest TwinShadow
I understand from your text that this is something you have already done, but I simply sat down with a printed copy of the tutorial flight and took it from there time and time again! I am sure there are plenty of steps that I do wrong but I always manage to get down in one piece and not being shouted at by the controllers at VATSIM. Well, expect for the occasional mishaps where I lose an engine during take off - and I still have no idea why - and have to declare an emergency (note to self, you can't fly from KLAX to KSFO with one engine and expect to climb to final and filed cruise level. Listen to the controller next time...)
Lol, thing is I don't fly on VATSIM. I fly offline as a casual enthusiast. That way I don't have to be yelled at by controllers. XD

HelloRead everything over at the Leonardo forum, most things have been asked before and the users are very knowledgeable.If you have some cash spare then these may helphttp://secure.simmarket.com/flight-deck-productions-page-1.chtmlhttp://secure.simmarket.com/aerodigital-press-page-1.chtmlFor a good source of info on the correct procedures for various stages of flight Smartcockpit has a lot of info.http://www.smartcockpit.com/plane/boeing/MD-80/

Guest TwinShadow

Not to sound too harsh, but if I did want to spend even more money than already for something else, I probably would have. But honestly, I don't want to learn the ins and outs of the Maddog MD-80. I tried looking at a couple of the PDF's from Smartcockpit, but they're not even detailed in the least. Just a very general idea and that's it, or I guess the correct term is vague. All I really want to do is just learn the basics and fly, I can usually do other stuff on my own.

Not to sound too harsh, but if I did want to spend even more money than already for something else, I probably would have. But honestly, I don't want to learn the ins and outs of the Maddog MD-80. I tried looking at a couple of the PDF's from Smartcockpit, but they're not even detailed in the least. Just a very general idea and that's it, or I guess the correct term is vague. All I really want to do is just learn the basics and fly, I can usually do other stuff on my own.
HelloYou asked for help to fly the maddog but then say "I don't want to learn the ins and outs of the Maddog MD-80"Trust me on this, you will not learn to fly this addon without some serious study and that means learning all the "ins and outs"The PDF's from Smartcockpit served me well enough when I was learning to use this aircraft, they even show you what annunciations you should be seeing at each stage of the flight.I was going to offer you some more help as I have been using this aircraft for a long time but after that reply I will not bother.CLS have an MD that may be more suitable for you at this point, anyway I am off to actually fly my MaddogCheers

Guest TwinShadow

CLS has an FSX-only version. I do not own, nor will I own FSX. Doesn't run very well on my system surprisingly.Anyway, forget it, guess I'm just out of luck to fly one of my personal favorite aircraft.

CLS has an FSX-only version. I do not own, nor will I own FSX. Doesn't run very well on my system surprisingly.Anyway, forget it, guess I'm just out of luck to fly one of my personal favorite aircraft.
Exactly what parts are you having difficulties with when flying the maddog? As I said I am very very far from an expert on the aircraft but perhaps at least I can give you some pointers.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------