Sign in to follow this  
doghouse

windows 7

Have run into a problem with fs 2004 and windows 7 64 bit. When fs 2004 and all my add ons were loaded in to drive c-- no problem all worked well and did so for seveal months. about 2 months ago I went to fly, when fs 2004 started the program began to flicker and was totally unusable. I have made multipule attempts to uninstall and reinstall, same thing, All other programs work fine. I have FSX on a 2nd hard drive, no issues, Im at my wits end!!! My system is as follows intel 860 i7, 8gig memory, ATI 5700 Graphics card, wd 500 HD, windows 7 64 bitany help would be appreciated!! Thanks--Matt

matt:are you still installing FS9 into the win7/programs directory?or installing FS9 into it's own hard dirve, or partitiion, with UAC OFF?--
into wind7/program directory--Matt

into wind7/program directory
matt:FS9, or FSX, will not work correctly more often than not if installed into the default win7/programs directory. win7 security features see FS as a threat to you computer.uninstall FS9.install FS9 as follows -
  • a hard drive, or partition, different than the OS
  • make sure that UAC is OFF for the HD or partition FS is installed.

--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

matt:FS9, or FSX, will not work correctly more often than not if installed into the default win7/programs directory. win7 security features see FS as a threat to you computer.uninstall FS9.install FS9 as follows -
  • a hard drive, or partition, different than the OS
  • make sure that UAC is OFF for the HD or partition FS is installed.

--Thanks I will try that! appreciate the help--Matt

Matt,Please go to the WIN7 OS Forum here at AVSIM and "Tips to install FS2004" in addition to other topics on WIN7 and FS2004.This should help you,Don

I'm thinking about upgrading from XP to W7. For those that use FS2004 with W7, is it worth it? I like what I've seen of W7. I mainly use my computer for FS2004 and would really like to avoid the headaches of figuring out what will and will not work.Thanks, Mike Franks

Mike Franks

I'm thinking about upgrading from XP to W7. For those that use FS2004 with W7, is it worth it? I like what I've seen of W7. I mainly use my computer for FS2004 and would really like to avoid the headaches of figuring out what will and will not work.Thanks, Mike Franks
Spend some time in the dedicated Win 7 forum - lot's of good info there which should be helpful to you. http://forum.avsim.net/forum/348-the-win7-os-forum/

Spend some time in the dedicated Win 7 forum - lot's of good info there which should be helpful to you. http://forum.avsim.n...-win7-os-forum/
I have Win7 32 bit and my fs9 is installed on an external disc connected with a USB and have had no problems at all. It got installed there when my XP crashed and I installed Win7 which asked me if I wanted to keep the old C drive contents. It made a folder called Windows.old and in it I was delighted to find my fs9 intact and working. I then copied it and all the attendant files from the aux folders (My Documents) to the external drive and it works like a charm.

I have FS2004 installed in the default Program Files with UAC turned off and have had no problems. Like many things on computers, it seems to be machine specific.I've always found it interesting that one can install a program outside of the Program Files directory. Maybe Microsoft built in a safety valve to avoid some of the features. Another of life's great mysteries.

I am currently running FS9 on Win7 X64 and not having too many problems but if I were you, I would not upgrade from XP to Win7. I'm only running it because I got a new computer and it came preinstalled. If I keep having the issues I've been having, I may still uninstall Win7 and go back to XP. Nothing major - but every now and then the program does stuff it never did in my previous install. So far not enough for me to bite the bullet and do a reinstall, but enough to be irritating at times.Ian