Sign in to follow this  

Iris DA-40: transparent windows?

Anyone knows which files I have to edit or rename to get rid of the reflections? I want 100% transparent windows...EDITAnd o yes, how can I dumpt that lady in the back?!? I want her OUT!!!

Anyone knows which files I have to edit or rename to get rid of the reflections? I want 100% transparent windows...EDITAnd o yes, how can I dumpt that lady in the back?!? I want her OUT!!!
Bwahhhaaaaahalet me know if you got a fix for the transparency issue

I guess that means it can't be done...? I did find a file which contains the actual reflection, but it didn't have an alpha channel I could edit...BTW Apart from that lady in the back, whom I don't like, I am also missing the actual runways on the MFD... Big shame. I like to look at the MFD for the actual runway heading.Well, I only payed $ 5,- for this plane, so I won't complain too much :( but if these issues can't be resolved, I'll uninstall and delete it. :(

I guess that means it can't be done...? I did find a file which contains the actual reflection, but it didn't have an alpha channel I could edit...BTW Apart from that lady in the back, whom I don't like, I am also missing the actual runways on the MFD... Big shame. I like to look at the MFD for the actual runway heading.Well, I only payed $ 5,- for this plane, so I won't complain too much :( but if these issues can't be resolved, I'll uninstall and delete it. :(
I bought the F-14 and its canopy is a lot darker and more opaque than what I would like, but I dont think there is a way to edit it.It's funny you mention the lady in the back. I didn't buy the DA-40, but I did get the Christen Eagle which also has a lady in front. While its accurate to have a person in the front seat when flying solo, it didn't mention in the manual that you can remove her by changing the passengers in the FSX menu under payload. Once I put only one passenger she disappeared. Maybe the DA-40 is the same if you change your payload you can get rid of her?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Once I put only one passenger she disappeared. Maybe the DA-40 is the same if you change your payload you can get rid of her?
Spot on :( Just set the weight of the right side passenger to 0 and gone she is.Both DA-40 and DA-42 seem to have that missing runways on MFD problem. I also wish someone could resolve that. Bliksimpie, perhaps ? :(

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

I bought the F-14 and its canopy is a lot darker and more opaque than what I would like, but I dont think there is a way to edit it.
Hi cmpbellsjc,seems you have got an issue with canopy fogging. The following is out of the F14 manual"Canopy FoggingThe canopy will fog up if the air-conditioning systems and individual demistersare inoperable and the ambient temperature falls below 5 degrees Celsius.In certain circumstances, the canopy will remain fogged even with the demistersystems operational. In these instances, please reload the aircraft andall should be fine."Cheers, Wolfgang

Hi cmpbellsjc,seems you have got an issue with canopy fogging. The following is out of the F14 manual"Canopy FoggingThe canopy will fog up if the air-conditioning systems and individual demistersare inoperable and the ambient temperature falls below 5 degrees Celsius.In certain circumstances, the canopy will remain fogged even with the demistersystems operational. In these instances, please reload the aircraft andall should be fine."Cheers, Wolfgang
Hi Wolfgang,Thanks for pointing that out, but I am not sure if its fogging though since when the flight first loads the canopy is already like that. I will have to reload a flight and maybe take a screen shot to see, but in the few time I loaded the plane it was just with a default weather theme "Fair weather" where the temps should have been well above 5 Celsius. Anyways, I will re-examine it and check the temps. I think Al (Chock) said that the canopy was just shaded like that anyway and that there wasn't anyway to edit it.

Spot on :( Just set the weight of the right side passenger to 0 and gone she is.Both DA-40 and DA-42 seem to have that missing runways on MFD problem. I also wish someone could resolve that. Bliksimpie, perhaps ? :(
LOL, that was just a lucky guess on my part. It took me a while to figure it out in the Christen Eagle however. Seems like there are some features that exist that I couldn't find in the users manual. One of them is that there is a way to run a batch to change the textures to DXT5 that is included with the plane because I found the .bat files in the texture.PHOENIX folder, however I can't seem to figure out how to run it to change all of them. However, its not really necessary to change them to DXT5 since the plane is so lite on FPS and texture load that it doesn't really make a difference with it running 32bit vs. DXT5

FOUND IT! I already found out which file holds the reflection itself, but it didn't have an alpha channel to take care of the opacity of the windows/reflections: the alpha channels was completely white. So apparently something else takes care of the opacity. But then I thought: even if I cannot edit the alpha channel the way I am used to, I could edit the white alpha channel anyway and make it entirely black instead of entirely white. Even though this specific alpha channel does not take care of what you see, adding a complete black alpha channel should make the reflections invisible anyway... and it does! :)Go the the folder called IRIS DA-40 Diamond Star 2/Texture._VC and open the file called vc_glass.dds Open it with DXTBmp and then open the alpha channel in your editor. Fill the entire channel with black, send it back to DXTBmp and simply save the dds file (overwriting it). That's it! Completely transparent windows! :)I will have another look at it though, because this edit also makes the little sidewindows invisible, so now you see some black knobs floating in space... but that's no big problem for me: I've got a vert nice and clear view all around now!Well, so far two of my three problems are solved (the lady is gone and so ar the reflections). Now all I want are runways on the MFD... I think that's harder to get done...EDITHere's before:958before.jpgand here's after.339after.jpgBTW It's very odd: after saving the dds and opening it again, the alpha channel is white once more... but the window still is transparent... :( Well, it doesn't matter as long as it works. :(