Sign in to follow this  
bmarcoux2

Runway Selection

Maybe it has changed since the last version of MSFS but it used to be you could get the active runway changed by customizing the weather and selecting the wind direction. Guess you can't do that now. Just tried at San Diego (Ksan) to get the active to 09 so I could practice some ILS Landings. Didn't matter what direction or speed I set the wind at. Is there another way I can do this. Thanks.

Changing the wind direction should work. Of course if all you want to do is practice ILS approaches there's nothing stopping you from turning off the AI and going for it anyway and even if you do want the default ATC to vector you then you should be able to request a runway of your choice.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Unless that particular runway is closed for landing, as set in the AFCAD.

Don't forget that after changing a wind direction at any airport, you should save your flight. When re-opening this saved flight the wind direction will then be as you saved it but only for that specific flight. Any AI planes will then also take off and land taking this saved wind direction into account.Good luck.Hans

Hi,You also need to reset the airport when you reset the wind. An easy way to do that:1. World/Map2. Change your heading by one degree3. OKNote that this also resets ATC, so you may have to reload flight plans, IFR clearances, etc. if necessary.Hope this helps,

Another way to refresh the weather and AI patterns is to advance the FS time by one minute. AI should restart and you can check ATIS after about a minute.I checked the runway and navaid properties in the default KSAN and a version from FlyTampa. Both have an ILS for runway 9 (and an LOC only for 27). Fly Tampa has 9 only closed for take-off. Unless tail wind components exceed about ten knots, AI should prefer 9 for landing because a full ILS is preferred over a LOC only.http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KSAN/procedures charts will show how terrain influences patterns and preferences.

If you choose not to download the payware FlyTampa airports, I'd suggest a search for freeware AFCAD fixes, here on AVSIM, or on websites such as FlightSim.com. Obviously I've never found KSAN, KCOS and KSFO to be convenient in selecting RWYs anyways. Dave.

Another way to refresh the weather and AI patterns is to advance the FS time by one minute. AI should restart and you can check ATIS after about a minute.I checked the runway and navaid properties in the default KSAN and a version from FlyTampa. Both have an ILS for runway 9 (and an LOC only for 27). Fly Tampa has 9 only closed for take-off. Unless tail wind components exceed about ten knots, AI should prefer 9 for landing because a full ILS is preferred over a LOC only.http://flightaware.c...KSAN/procedures charts will show how terrain influences patterns and preferences.
Actually living in San Diego runway 09 is very rarly used which always seemed odd to me because you have to come right over all the hi rises coming in on 27. Were always saying it's just a matter of time before one of them takes out downtown.. Must have something to do with the approach or the wind coming in of the ocean.