Sign in to follow this  
pete_auau

admin rights when installing

Hi all just upgraded to w7 and read u have to right click to make sure u install as admin what happens if u dont do this step since i forgot to do this on the last 2 installs for fscrew2 etc into my fsx and the program runs ok with no problesm just wondering why the admin rights thx

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Some programs require that you have admin rights to install, if FSCrew2 works don't worry about it.In Win7 the first thing I did after I installed Win7 was to turn UAC completely off and I have never right clicked on any program and installed as "admin"

In Win7 the first thing I did after I installed Win7 was to turn UAC completely off and I have never right clicked on any program and installed as "admin"
Man is right...turn off UAC, the thing is totally useless and just make things worst. Press win logo or start, and in search programs and files, enter UAC and press ENTER, than just move slider to the bottom to "Never Notify". After that you will always have admin rights, without "run as..." thing.

thx for ur replies guys much appricaiated thx again, yea thats was the first thing i had done wasnt sure now i know heheh

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have had my FSX \Gold\Accel. installtion for months working on win7 32. I read a couple of weeks a go that running the program with Adminittrative rights is better,by right clicking on the FSX Icon and changing there this properties. I did that. Now it loads,I get the windoes security warning (?)...Then io beggins to load much faster than before.From opening screen to aircraft at runway ( My default flight) about 2 mins.Just want to hear opinion if this is good and correct procedure?Berlopez

Thanks for mentioning to turn of UAC. I have FSUPIC. I read in the manual that Pete Dowson recommends actually installing FSX not into "my programs/X86" folder which is the default installation location, but rather straight into C drive - something like C:FSX/ The reason, according to Peter, is that many add on programs want to talk to FSX and cannot without the necessary admin approval. By placing FSX and other add on programs in a location directly on C drive the admin approval process is by-passed. QUESTION - Does deactivated UAC do the same thing? I've just installed FSX on a new system and want to do the install the easiest way. Thank you, Iain

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator

Guest firehawk44
Thanks for mentioning to turn of UAC. I have FSUPIC. I read in the manual that Pete Dowson recommends actually installing FSX not into "my programs/X86" folder which is the default installation location, but rather straight into C drive - something like C:FSX/ The reason, according to Peter, is that many add on programs want to talk to FSX and cannot without the necessary admin approval. By placing FSX and other add on programs in a location directly on C drive the admin approval process is by-passed. QUESTION - Does deactivated UAC do the same thing? I've just installed FSX on a new system and want to do the install the easiest way. Thank you, Iain
Does deactivated UAC do the same thing? Yes - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-is-User-Account-Control. UAC takes over everything you do and should be left on for regular users who are not familiar with computer software and/or computers. If you disable it and you are not an expert computer user, then turn it back on when new software has been added to give you extra comfort about security. It works like an anti-virus program in that it makes sure anything being installed on your computer is what YOU want installed and any modifications to your registry or file system is what YOU want to have happen. Hackers (evil people) sometimes put things into the registry without your knowledge or they will secretly install a program without your knowledge. Although rare, it can happen. Although I have the deepest respect for Pete Dowson, I disagree with his suggestion to relocate FSX. C:/Program Files (x86) folder is used to install all Windows 32 bit programs to make them backward compatible with the new operating systems. As I recall, FSX was orginally developed with XP. Best regards,Jim

I am interested in this topic of UAC. Please accept my comments and observations in the spirit of open discussion.Lately I have been studying UAC to try to find a possible use for it. You can see my bias already. As we know, in XP, the main user account was automatically an administrator account. This account could do all the things we need to operate the system; add and delete and modify software, and so forth. Unfortunately, administrator accounts are also venerable to all sorts of outside "attacks", if you will; viruses and other users changing data, to name a few. operators of large networks would give members of the network "user" accounts to help cut down on problems, as a user account is far more secure than an administrator account. Yes, FSX was developed for this environment.Along came Vista. I guess that because MS upset so many folks so that they write viruses for it, MS decided to make all accounts into user accounts. We found out right away how well this worked the first time we tried to alter an aircraft cfg file. It couldn't be done the way we were used too. There were three workarounds;a. Open Notepad first, browse to the desired file, make and save your changes. So much for file security.2. If you were an advanced user, you could make exceptions in your account for FSX. Perhaps you need to be an advanced user to run without UAC, but you also need to be an advanced user to run FSX with UAC.c. Turn off UAC.As far as the registry goes, as I understand it, UAC only protects small parts of the registry that have to do with user software, so that unauthorized persons can't open and alter your data. OK, fine. But I have seen no evidence that it protects your computer from viruses. I have cleaned many computers that had UAC on. What I have seen is that viruses attack other parts of the registry as well as Windows system files. I might be wrong but I don't think UAC does anything for system files. It seems to me that UAC is far more useful in large networked environments were many users are connected to the same software, and file security is an issue, and not for single users at home who may only want to alter a parking code. I am afraid that I do not understand how installing FSX to C:/FSX is somehow a security threat. I believe that folks need to learn how to really use their computers. Not even Macs are secure; several of them where I work just got some virus. I believe that if companies really want us to use the INTERNET, than they ought to provide free AV that really works.Sorry, I had a soapbox moment.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest firehawk44

There is one vicious malware out there that states viruses and malware have been detected on your system while you are surfing the Internet and then asks if it's okay to install a program and scan their system. It has a Microsoft icon/emblem so it looks very official. But people should be aware they should never ever allow this program to scan their system as it will find a virus or malware 100% of the time whether it's on your system or not. I think UAC will at least warn people that a program that has not been scanned for malware or viruses is about to be installed on your system and ask you if you want to open or run the program. That should warn many that the program is not good but I have seen people with Norton security and other anti-virus programs installed and it didn't stop them from installing this vicious malware. Once the vicious malware security program is installed, it finds the virus and malware and, if you pay something like $49.95, it will get rid of this malware and/or virus. If you decline to buy it, it will lock you out of your system at startup until you buy the program. It will not allow you to uninstall it or go into the directory and delete it. Even the Start button is disabled. The only way to close the program is to shut your system down and call a computer expert (and that costs money too!!). Windows should warn people of this vicious software as soon as it happens and not just warn or ask the individual whether he wants to install the program from an unknown source or not. This malicious software has been around a long time and it has been very successful as casual users will simply go ahead and buy the program and get their system unlocked. I have helped my friends on a couple of occasions getting rid of this nasty program as I own a laptop too and can Google the program that was downloaded to the persons system and I'll find several solutions for getting rid of this software. But, if I hadn't been around, it could have been very costly for them to fix this problem. The UAC, if it really wants to be excellent and worthwhile, should prevent these type of attacks. Otherwise, it just gets in the way of expert users and Administrators.BTW, Microsoft does have a free anti-virus and malware program for Windows 7. It's an option in Windows update if you want to install it or not. It's called Microsoft Security Essentials.Best regards,Jim

To my knowledge, UAC does not warn about anything that is not already installed on your computer, i.e. in the registry. That is the job of a good AV program(whatever that is). Or even a hyper-active firewall. I know the virus of which you speak, Jim. and there are others like it. I also am familiar with MSE. It is very light wieght and does not do what it says it does. I worked on one computer with a root-kit trojan. MSE said that it found the trojan and got rid of it. Yet in a scan right after that, the trojan was still there, after several scans. Did MSE really find the trojan? Did it really not get rid of it? I didn't have time to waste on it. Of course, no AV is perfect. I will put MSE on a machine because it is quick and easy, and better than nothing, but I don't use it on a computer that I care about.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.