Sign in to follow this  
Francois_Dumas

Picture Size Rules and Signature Rules

Guest Joshieca

I am not one for many rules...BUT, I wish that AVSIM would adopt a standing rule about posting picture sizes and signatures. Some of the picture posts are HUGE....way over what should be a limit of no wider than 800 pixels.The same goes for signatures. Some of the signatures on this forum have so much stuff in them the look like a discount store after a going out of business sale. For the signatures, perhaps the same rule of size should apply.Maybe I am alone here....should would like to hear what you all think.[br][br][div align=center][br][link:members.cox.net/fstimes/wetimage.html]Click Here For Weather Image of the Day!

>I am not one for many rules...BUT, I wish that AVSIM would >adopt a standing rule about posting picture sizes and >signatures. Some of the picture posts are HUGE....way over >what should be a limit of no wider than 800 pixels. We do either remove or give warnings about many images that are uploaded. However, you do realize that we cannot be here 24 hours a day, every day? This means we sometimes don't see all of them. But we are likely to get around to every user eventually that is not posting within our policies.>The same goes for signatures. Some of the signatures on this >forum have so much stuff in them the look like a discount >store after a going out of business sale. For the >signatures, perhaps the same rule of size should apply. This is something that I'm thinking on now and will address soon. You are correct that some of the signatures out there are way too excessive and we will be giving specific requirements on that for guidance soon.

Umm,I really don't want to throw some grease on the fire, but Joshieca, you left yourself open to this one. You do realize that your sig is 194,188 bytes ?? Yes, that's right, 194k. Most of us recommend sigs sizes of less than 25k, to facilitate thread loading time.So I'm not sure what your point is, but your sig will have to be trimmed way down if any file size guidelines are put in place. Remember, it's not "how many pixels wide" that really matters, it's the file size that slows the loading.Cheers,Roger

Guest drobson

Scott,There is a size limit in place at the FlightSimNetwork Conferences forums that is working quite well, and something that I think would sure help out here. We've imposed a max size of 450 pixels wide by 120 pixels high, and a total file size of 25kb. It would take alot of time and many reminders to get everyone to comply, but it sure is nice to not have banners covering the whole area. (We've found that if compliance does not occur after a couple of notices, the post is simply removed. That's the best attention getter around). :-)Just a suggestion.Darrell

[center

Guest Joshieca

>Umm, >>I really don't want to throw some grease on the fire, but >Joshieca, you left yourself open to this one. You do realize >that your sig is 194,188 bytes ?? Yes, that's right, 194k. >Most of us recommend sigs sizes of less than 25k, to >facilitate thread loading time. >>So I'm not sure what your point is, but your sig will have >to be trimmed way down if any file size guidelines are put >in place. Remember, it's not "how many pixels wide" that >really matters, it's the file size that slows the loading. >>Cheers, >>Roger Yeah I know my current sig is large K size, I am working on getting it down memory size wise.....what I meant was the actual screen size. Some of the sigs out there take up half of the screen. And then the user almost always post them and posts them again, and again, and again, etc., all within the same thread. And yes it does matter how many pixels wide a pict is. When I am on my laptop, its dam near impossible to view threads when you have a pict that scrolls to the right forever.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Get my point!

Yes, I am well aware of how a large (800 wide +) can affect the viewing area :-rollHaving said that, I think most users here will agree that the file size of an image is far more of an issue here, rather than the "physical" size of an image.Just a question: I have rarely had to scroll horizontally here at Avsim to view an image. Maybe once that I can think of, on either of my pc or laptops.... so what screen resolution are you running on your laptop ?RogerEdit: Can you point to a thread where the size of a pic is an issue for you ? I would like to see where this is going on (ie: which conference)

Guest Joshieca

My laptop runs at 1152 x 768 (its a G4 Mac with the "Megawide" screen)...but even on my PC using 1280 x 960 I never maximize my IE window. So the window size is not more then say 900X800.

Hmm, I am completely ignorant when it comes to the Mac. Perhaps someone that is familiar with it could help us out, as you said that you had to scroll when viewing the large images on the laptop.It would really help if you could point to some exact pics, so I could see the pixel width on them. I did a quick scan of the conferences to try to find some big ones, but I can't find any that would be a problem, unless someone was running sub 800x600 ?? If you could show me the ones that are an issue, I will no doubt completely agree with you that it is an issue that I have missed, and apologize accordingly. Trying to help,Roger

OK, found one myself :-)http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID47/8404.htmlThis one is quite out of bounds so to speak. So, sorry about that, I must confess I don't spend a lot of time in the SS conference. And I guess that is where this problem would most likely crop up :-lolI do support your position on some rules concerning the sigs. It would go a long way toward improving the viewing for all.Cheers,Roger

As Scott pointed out before already.. there ARE clear rules in place, and especially in the SS forum. He also pointed out we cannot read each and every post 24x7x365..... not even with some extra help.If things really get out of control there is the Alert Button at the bottom of each post. Clck it, type the reason of your complaint, and all forum moderators and administrators will get the message in their email INBOX... and no doubt take some sort of action.The rules are 700 pixels wide andno more than 5 pictures in any one message (for the SS Forum). :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog