Sign in to follow this  
Guest jason2112

A wee plea to developers using autoinstallers ...

Hi Tom<<>>Don't worry, it didn't, because of my choice of a temp directory. <<>>Cool. I think most of us who know how to do install to a temp folder anyway but all I'm asking is a note in the process to tell us where things are going to go otherwise.<<<>>>Yo, good man. Don't worry, my post was not directed at you fellows in particular, by any means. It was simply a plea to the community in general to tidy up their installer methodology.Your aircraft is just great (again), by the way. Fantastic work. I took the Hawaiian bird for a spin around the islands last night at sunset; just gorgeous, thank you. Now all I need is a real Hawaiian bird.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest TimD

Mark,I agree with you. When we build an installation scheme we never install anything to the main FS texture directory. Sometimes it means duplicating some "generic" textures for each aircraft paint scheme, thus taking up a little more file space on your drive, but it avoids conflicts like this.Once an installation program steps on a file you can't get it back.x( http://www.fsd-international.com/team/TD_forum_sig.gif

Guest rogue1

The biggest issue here is the overwritting of default FS files. That should never happen. If you think your package has better files, then include them seperately with a readme explaining how to manually install them/remove them. And always remember to tell us to back up our originals in case we don't like the ones you put in there. :-)Jim

Guest JeanLuc_

Good point Tim! I never encountered any problem with installers for payware solutions from FSD, Eaglesoft, Flight1 and Reality XP.

The really smart operators INCLUDE the default originals, zipped up somewhere. It's a real pain, for example, going into WORLD/SCENERY looking for BGLs to back up or TEXTURE looking for all that concrete, runways, roads, etc. So easy to do something wrong.The only bit of MS original software I'd be happy to see overwritten any time is the FPS counter :-boom Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest jason2112

Hm ... in my case, an installer of one of the mentioned companies overwrote my FS2002 uninstall program and always showed up instead :( I never heard anybody else complain, so I guess it might have been a strange side effect (German WinXP and FS2002). Anyway, I hope this helps to remind people who deliver their software with installers (nothing bad per se) to be very careful ... personally I don't mind wasting a few megs on my harddisk or even in the download if it helps a clean install.One thing I REALLY could do without is installers that create entries in the registry. My "Add/Remove Software" dialog in WinXP contins numerous planes and sceneries. Why??? There's no need for it, or is there?Just my 2c (EUR),VOlker :]