Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Ancient Brit

Need help Flying the ILS !

Guest A32X

Sirs,I'm trying to fly the ILS manually. However I usually land long, shamefully I often run out of runway. :( The situation is I'm following the glideslope and at around 200feet the glideslope seems to become shallower, when I correct for this the glideslope becomes steeper and I land long. If I ignore this change in glideslope angle I don't have any problems. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal ILS glideslope behaviour or is it a bug? Cheers,:D

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi,I just want to say that I find myself doing the same thing you mention, ignore the change and then I come in fine.Jim

Unless you are doing an autoland on autopilot you cannot expect the glideslope to stay accurate for manual control under 200 feet. In most cases if you can't see the runway by then and fly in visually i.e. decision height is reached, you should go around!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Basically it sucks the ILS will lead you straight into the runway where you should flare but obviously the FS autopilot will not do this for you so it makes better sense like Darkmoment said to fly the last 200 feet manually pity FS didn't implement a autopilot that does this.RegardsG-MIDY

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

A normal cat I ils (most common) does not lead you straight to a runway flare height. It leads you to a "decision height" which in most cases is 200 ft. above the runway. (A cat II will go to 100 ft. and a catIII lower-both which require specialized equipement both in the airplane and ground). At the decision height or most likely before it you would disengage the autopilot and hand fly it-if the runway is not visual you would fly the missed approach.Check your approach plates-most ils will be cat I.A catIII approach plate will state: Special aircrew & aircraft certification required.Are you flying a catIII approach and is your fs aircraft certified for one? So actually it doesn't suck-it is realistic.From a site talking about ils approaches for pictures and info:http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/ILS.htmInstrument landing system (ILS) facilities are a highly accurate and dependable means of navigating to the runway in IFR conditions. When using the ILS, the pilot determines aircraft position primarily by reference to instruments. The ILS consists of: the localizer transmitter; the glide path transmitter; the outer marker (can be replaced by an NDB or other fix); the approach lighting system. ILS is classified by category in accordance with the capabilities of the ground equipment. Category I ILS provides guidance information down to a decision height (DH) of not less than 200 ft. Improved equipment (airborne and ground) provide for Category II ILS approaches.A DH of not less than 100 ft. on the radar altimeter is authorized for Category II ILS approaches.An ils catIII:a. IIIa. An ils approach procedure which provides for approach without a decision height minimum and with runway visual range of not less than 700 ft.b. IIIb. An ils approach procedure which provides for apporach without a decision height minimum and with runway visual range of not less than 150 ft.c. IIIc. An ils approach procedure which provides for apporach without a decision height minimum and without runway visual range minimum.The ILS provides the lateral and vertical guidance necessary to fly a precision approach, where glide slope information is provided. A precision approach is an approved descent procedure using a navigation facility aligned with a runway where glide slope information is given. When all components of the ILS system are available, including the approved approach procedure, the pilot may execute a precision approach. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

>At 500 ft above the runway, disengage the APP>(not the autopilot) and the autothrottle and engage the ALT. >As you are about to touchdown you will find that whatever>value you have set in the vertical speed window the aircraft>will reduce the rate of descend to almost zero giving you a>flared effect. I don