Sign in to follow this  
Guest GZR_Frenchy

Question 1: Why are the rivers blue?

Why does MS continue to show rivers in the same blue hues as the ocean? :-hmmm Haven't they ever flown into St. Louis and seen the muddy brown Missouri and Mississippi rivers? Lakes, too, should be brown or greenish-brown. If MS could make the river water a different color than the ocean then we'd be even closer to As Real As It Gets!Steve Lewis, KCLE

Guest Scooby11

Well, technically, its posible to change the river colors...but it would involve some landclass (waterclass) editing...so if you wanted you could change the river on your area to have different colors (as theres like what, a million different water colors...ok..16 or so...)I'm thinking about changing the Fraser River up here in British Columbia....as right now its depected as this nice blue river....where really, its just as muddy and ugly as the Mississippi :)

So, you think maybe it's a Landclass issue? That's interesting. I'll head over to FSGenesis' forum and ask the question. Would be nice if all of the rivers were some shade of brown/greenish-brown.Steve

Guest Markyboy

With all due respect I don't think the FS team are going to lose any sleep over the river colours. Believe it or not they may not even have flown into St Louis! and like myself they may not have known until you informed us that it is a muddy brown. I am sure they have many other things that they would like to address and as such I would imagine that it is a fairly low priority if indeed it is one at all.I am sick of people posting about bugs and improvements they reckon could be made. Why not offer your services to MS and join their team to enhance FS for all of us? That is if you know better and can implement your changes whilst at the same time not affecting the games performance. If not then at least try to do what flightsim was made to do and enjoy the simulation of flight.Yours Respectfully,markyboy.

Dear Markyboy, What in the H*ll is your problem????? "I am sick of people posting about bugs and improvements they reckon could be made. Why not offer your services to MS and join their team to enhance FS for all of us? That is if you know better and can implement your changes whilst at the same time not affecting the games performance. If not then at least try to do what flightsim was made to do and enjoy the simulation of flight."I was ONLY asking a question if we could change the colors ourselves. I certainly WAS NOT issuing a BUG Report or blasting MS.Jeez.. Myself, I'm personally SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO FLAME ANYONE WHO JUST ASKS A QUESTION. GET LOST.

>I am sick of people posting about bugs and improvements they>reckon could be made. .. and I am sick of people like you who are clearly unable to tell difference between those few flaming posts and those that express legitimate concerns using respectful language. And, btw, I agree with Steve that rivers, inland waters in FS are poorly done and contrary to other requests this one could probably be easily fixed - perhaps if Microsfot knew that enough people cared. But they will never know if people keep quiet.And ... waters of San Francisco Bay are all brown-green, contrary to what some may believe.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest vertical

Did I not say something was burning, Steve?

>>And ... waters of San Francisco Bay are all brown-green,>contrary to what some may believe.>And the waters of Utah/Arizona's Lake Powell can be some of the most beautiful shades of "blue" possible!L.Adamson

Howdy:aside from the sparring, this is an interesting thread ;-)My recent uploads of the Canadian Rockies included some waterclass updates and I agree that it makes a big difference in the appearance of a lake or river, particularly with the many different water hues available in FS9.I don't agree with Michael's sugestion that this could be easily fixed by MS. As Scooby points out, *manual* waterclass replacements by users are quite easy to do but the FS design team had to use readily available digital landuse and bathymetry (water depth) data to generate the worldwide set of land and waterclass. I don't know of any global database that includes a classification of water colors. The FS graduated ocean colors in the tropical areas and elsewhere are probably based on bathymetry data but for rivers and inlets it's mostly sediment content that determines the real-world hue.Consider the geographical scope of FS: to the best of my knowledge there's no other product out there that combines global coverage with a 1.2 x 1.2 kilometer resolution (of the land- and waterclass tiles). The only way this can be done for a $50 product is by using existing databases and automated data translators. Has MS used the most accurate/detailed available data? Most probably not because of either expensive licensing fees or, more likely, incompatible data formats (there are thousands of different formats for describing and storing geographical data). I'm sure that even with the best of intentions there was very limited opportunity for the FS designers to manually enhance specific area. After all, this is a Flight Simulator, not a Planet Simulator ;-) I am in awe about the level of detail that this game(!) provides out of the box and I am very grateful to the developers that they provide us with the opportunity to manually add to or correct almost any aspect of FS. So, with a big thank-you to the FS design team AND a big thank-you to the developers of (freeware) add-on design utilities, let's get going on some waterclass replacements of our own!!!Now, back to my current FS project...Cheers, Holger

Yet the validity of Steve's original questionstill stands. There maybe blue rivers, but from the air most seem brown to me.Peter Sydney Australia

Guest Markyboy

I see some four hours have passed since your reply to my post. I hope now you have collected your toys back up and put them back in the pram. Me Flaming? Certainly not. Just making a reply to what I considered a pretty dumb post. Did I tell you to get lost? No. Are you the one being disrespectful? Yes.I refer you to the title of your post. You really think its the number one question regards Flightsim? I think not. And to quote you "....Haven't they ever flown into St. Louis and seen the muddy brown Missouri and Mississippi rivers?...."I didn't realize that was something everyone else has done!If the worst thing in the world you got to worry about is the colour of a river in flightsim then I want to come and live your life.Once Again Respectfully,markyboy.