Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pardue802

Here's a neat idea ...

Guest Pardue802

Now, I know Netscape is the barrel's bottom market share as browsers go, but here's a neat concept for the Netscape/Mozilla people out there: how's about an AVSIM sidebar? It could contain the news of the front page with anchor links to the stories on the main page. Or, an even neater thing would be to have it show whether or not a user has unread messages in a watched thread or something, or a person's user stats. The possibilities are really endless! Especially with the release of Netscape 7.0 FINAL in the next few days (the folder's already up on the Netscape ftp server), I'd say it's a worthwhile discussion. What do you guys think?Ken

Guest mikehaska

It is a good idea to make features for NS browsers. I know Tom released a group of "Favorites" for AVSIM that offered quicklinks all around the site which was quite nice.However, I don't know how many people are using NS and would find the sidebar useful. I know I used to be a rabid fan of NS, but because it doesn't support many features that IE does (Inline frames, several features in programming languages, even coloured scrollbars), I'm finding it hard to use it any more. I hope NS 7 is far less buggy than ver.6, and has far more features than the older NS browsers. Otherwise, they will have a hard time convincing people to use their product.

Guest Pardue802

I completely agree with you. Netscape's philosophy is standard's compliance down to the point of boring, browsing experience, but being so strict on standards is what is killing them. You can expect Ver.7 to be a much more fluid, faster, and stable browsing experience. I've been using the Preview Release since it's introduction three months ago, and it blows away anything the 6.x line did. But there aren't many new features or anything outside of tabbed browsing, buddy icons/file transfer in IM, and download/cookie managers. It's more likely than not be similar to the 6 series, only that IT WORKS.Not to get too far off point, I'd still love to see such a system for AVSIM... I was hoping it would be justifiable to Tom & Co.Ken

I will make you a deal Ken... when the final release of V7 is available, I will download it, give it a whirl, and if it makes sense to us, we'll see if we can't provide the features asked for.

Guest Pardue802

Cool deal! Thanks, Mr. Allensworth. I'll be sure to post a link to this thread whenever it is finally available so that you can download and try it out for size.Thanks very much!In the meantime, I found this http://wp.netscape.com/sidebar/whatwhy.html. More information on the left side.Ken

Got it last night and installed it. Interesting. NS may have finally gotten their act together. I am still experimenting with and will let you know where we are heading with this.

Guest Pardue802

Thanks very much, good to know you guys are looking into it. I'll keep my eyes open for any news for better or worse.Best,Ken