Sign in to follow this  
Guest niall_eidw

Cannot finish flights without strange behaviour

I run FS 2004 with all other applications closed, and no add ons. Yet after most flights, [using atc of course]long or short, and I cannot reproduce this, right on landing the following occurs:1. The frame rate drops from 20's to 22. Sound cuts out3. I cannot run FS 2004 without rebooting the computer completely, and I have to do this by turning it off as the restart function does not work. I have to exit the program with task manager4. The left and right throttles become decoupled. ie with my CH USB Flight Sim Yoke LE, advancing or retarding the throttle causes only one throttle to move and the other won't respond.I run WIN XP, with ATI Radeon Pro 9800 and Turtle Beach Voyetera [Direct X 9a that came with FS 2004] Sound Card. Win XP automatically sizes the page file, and I have a huge hard drive with plenty of space.This essentially eliminates me using the program because I cannot finish a flight.Greg

Greg Clark

Guest niall_eidw

Greg,I came onto the forum to-day to post a very similar query. Your behaviour symtoms appear to be the same as mine. I have reinstalled FS9, FSNav, and FSUIPC 3.11. I have all the latest XP updates, specs are:P4 1.9 GHz762MB RAMWin XP HomeGeForce Ti4200 128MB with 52.xx drivers, updates on Friday last.I found if I tried to take off again, the problem would disappear. And FR's would resume to normal levels.I should also say I'm using default aircraft, and tried without running FS Meteo. I even killed FSMeteo after symptoms appeared, but no change.Regards,Niall O'Reilly

Guest Bigshot

Sounds like you don't have "programs" managing your memory. With the ATI card, if you let system cache manage the memory, it'll eventually hose windows and cause the problems you both describe. Right click on My Computer, select properties; advanced/settings/advanced and check to see whether programs is selected.

Guest niall_eidw

Bigshot,Thanks for the direction, I'll try it later and come back to you.Thanks again.Niall O'Reilly

I would really like to hear your results, because the same exact thing happenned twice to me yesterday. In fact once I received anout of memory notice and FS shut down.Thanks a lot,

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

I have checked my system as per the link, and I am using the default Programs, NOT system Cache.So that cannot be the cause of the problem.Thanks, though.Again this looks not to be an isolated problem.Greg

Greg Clark

Guest Speed

I had this behaviour with the Airport Environment Upgrade, I checked the filesizes and runways were many times larger than the default files. I put back the original textures and landing at 4fps went back to the usual fluid 20+ fps.This may or may not be your issue.Speed.

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi Guys,It kinda sounds like this might be a 'Sound' problem. Greg is the only one that listed what sound card he is using. I recommend everyone do the same. I do not know what the cure might be for certain. But I can recommend to try to turn down the Hardware Acceleration slider for Sound in DxDiag and see what happens. 'Start --> Run --> (type in) DxDiag --> Sound Tab'. You might want to also run the DxDiag tests.Regards,Jim

Guest niall_eidw

Hi Guys,I have been trying to resolve this issue. I checked out My Comp/Properties/Advanced/Performance/Settings/Advanced as Bigshot suggested and found that Programs were selected. Virtual Memory changed to - System Managed Size from fixed.Here are my specs:Win XP Home on P4 1.9GHz, with 768MB RAMSB Live! Driver version 5.12.2.252 July 2002Video Driver 52.16 Oct 2003DirectX 9.0bI reinstalled FS9, FSUIPC 3.11, FSNav.Retried my flight with FS Meteo, and without activating FSNav - no change, as soon as the gear touches down and you hear the gear rolling everything stops, I'm starting to think it may be my sound driver, but I know I updated this without any change.I tried the same flight without using FS Meteo, I used FS Nav and that seemed to work ok. HOWEVER, when I ran 'Instant Replay' as soon as the gear hit, everything stopped.Rather than searching, and searching, and searching.... I reinstalled XP then FS9, did one test flight last evening and it worked, I will be doing some more testing.Not the answer your looking for. But as I add more drivers and FS applications I'll test at each stage and post back here if I find anything which causes this problem.Thanks to all for your input.Kind regards,Niall O'Reilly