Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

100 Sandy Bridge CPUs tested by ASUS

If your considering a Sandy Bridge CPU,a rep from ASUS made a very informative post after testing 100 CPU's...http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265398

Guest jahman
1. Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz2. Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz
Let me restate (cumulative percentages are more descriptive):1. Approximately 100% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz2. Approximately 90% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz Cheers,- jahman.

Quote:Enter a CPU V Core Voltage value of 1.415 or 1.425I thought 1.40 was the maximum voltage allowed with these chips. (?)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Let me restate (cumulative percentages are more descriptive):1. Approximately 100% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz2. Approximately 90% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz Cheers,- jahman.
I don't follow your logic as "more descriptive"; I find it more deceptive. I think what you really mean is that if you happen to have a 4.7 OC, you 'score' in 90% of all overclocks. This DOES NOT mean that your chances of buying a SB that can OC to 4.7 is 90%; it's still only 40% according the OP link. As for max voltage, its sort of up in the air. The expounded 'safe' 1.4v is contradicted by intel's max VID spec of 1.52v. Lets hope to see the last word in this matter sometime soon.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Quote:Enter a CPU V Core Voltage value of 1.415 or 1.425I thought 1.40 was the maximum voltage allowed with these chips. (?)
It was 1.40V for 45nm chips... for 32nm CPUs like Gulftowns it's 1.375Vso even worse. I'd never push my Vcore further than 1.35V given it's such a new platform. There's always time to adjust the overclock in the future

if you get a pre-oc'd bundle with a high oc you may help your chances of getting a good chip as it is in their best interest to get a stable low-voltage cpu as most of an oc warranty...

Simon

It was 1.40V for 45nm chips... for 32nm CPUs like Gulftowns it's 1.375Vso even worse. I'd never push my Vcore further than 1.35V given it's such a new platform. There's always time to adjust the overclock in the future
I agree.Vcc_max is directly related to Vid and that varies from chip to chip. It should be possible to work out your Vid by observation and if we knew the Hex code conversions it should be possible to know the Vcc_max for each chip by reference to the spec sheets.I dont think that is the end of the story though. As I understand it, Vcc_Max is the maximum voltage that Intel guarantee the chip will maintain its specified performance. Beyond that is a window that it may or may not maintain its performance long term and beyond that is another window where it will definitely degrade over time. How quickly it degrades depends on the Vcc applied and duration.The other thought is that the chip is relatively cheap to replace if you do blow it up.Plent of scope for experimentation and destruction :smile:

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

So this chip at newegg would be highly recommended? I never even heard of Sandy Bridge until I hauled myself over here from the FS2004 forum, because I now have a copy of FSX.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070
Yes that's the one, also the 2500K . The K is key as it means it's an unlocked chip with the right motherboard. Both are being over clocked from 4 to 4.5 Ghz or more with little effort on H67 motherboards.Pair that with decent video card and FSX is as good as it gets.

The percentages in the Asus post are not clear...Is it 50% of chips go to at least 4.5 and the other 50% do not,or50% are limited to 4.5 and the other 50% can go higher?

Based on reading user reports on the web it does seem almost all 2500K and 2600K will hit at least 4.5GHz,I'd be surprised if only 50% do.With the 2500K and Intel MB under $400 total it's hard to resist.

50% of all Sandy Bridge chips are limited to a maximum clock of 4.5GHz on air cooling. The other 50% can go higher. Make sense?

50% of all Sandy Bridge chips are limited to a maximum clock of 4.5GHz on air cooling. The other 50% can go higher. Make sense?
Or the other 50% will not hit 4.5GHz.Make sense?

Or the other 50% will not hit 4.5GHz.Make sense?
That's not what it means, unless you don't speak English. 50% will hit 4.4-4.5GHz AT MOST, the other 50% will go higher. This isn't difficult.