Sign in to follow this  

I’m very disappointed in Orbx’s policies!

Currently the Orbx/FTX website is the most used and has the largest participation of civil aviation in the flight-simulation community. Unfortunately, they have removed my posting (several) featuring their Lancair IV-P but not including their sceneries. I have no plans on buying Australian sceneries (no matter how good their airports look) since the airline structures are very limited. Orbx/FTX Pacific Northwest sceneries are also great looking but no large airports like Seattle Sea-Tec are being offered since I fly 50% commercial/50% civil and this option determines if I buy a product.I understand if your screen-shot page must include a Orbx product but the Lancair IV-P is yours too.....Btw...I think Orbx is controlling too much of the flight-simuation market making them a big bully!!! Darryl

Could be a moderator's mistake, could be their policies, could be anything. Still, AU Blue's my main option for Australian scenery. Dave.

John Venema the ORBX CEO removed them himself. They do have a policy to not show other scenery on their forum. I actually agree with this policy. This forum is not a general Flight Simulator Forum like AVSIM of Flightsim.com. This is a Developers forum so they limit screenshots to ORBX scenery as well as REX, Carenado, PMDG or any of their other partners.ORBX is a private company and that is their policy. Lots of company's have similar policies. Try bringing KFC into a McDonalds and eating it there, see how quickly they throw you out on the street for something like that.

Matthew Kane

It does not matter, 3 other posters had materials other then Orbx...why I'm I being singled out! :( Again, I was featuring his airplane.What's the difference, he produces both aircraft and scenery...same company!

John Venema the ORBX CEO removed them himself. They do have a policy to not show other scenery on their forum. I actually agree with this policy. This forum is not a general Flight Simulator Forum like AVSIM of Flightsim.com. This is a Developers forum so they limit screenshots to ORBX scenery as well as REX, Carenado, PMDG or any of their other partners.ORBX is a private company and that is their policy. Lots of company's have similar policies. Try bringing KFC into a McDonalds and eating it there, see how quickly they throw you out on the street for something like that.
Darryl

It does not matter, 3 other posters had materials other then Orbx...why I'm I being singled out! Shame%20On%20You.gif
I can't say why, the other ones probably didn't get noticed. I wouldn't take it personally. It's just a policy.If you like you can download the free ORBX Sceneries for Tasmania and the Olympic Peninsula and post some screenshots in those areas. The free sceneries are in the ORBX website.

Matthew Kane

Hi Darryl,I know you are irritated and I am sorry you feel this way. ORBX is where it is in the FSX market, as you say the biggest and the best, because of a number of things they got right, including their editorial policy. Community screenshots, where you posted other company's FSX sceneries, is one of their primary links to showcase ORBX products, where they can be viewed by anyone without logging in. They have the right to restrict what is posted there to include only their own regions and airports. It only makes sense.Surely you would not fault a Ford dealer for not wanting shiny new Chevies being driven into and shown in their showroom. Even though you may not like what happened, it would wear better on you to understand where they are coming from, and be a little more generous when they are only doing their job.John Venema is a leader, and leaders make decisions and take action when they must, as they should. Don't take it personally. It wasn't just about you. There were good reasons. Please think it over.Kind regards,

It does not matter, 3 other posters had materials other then Orbx...why I'm I being singled out! :( Again, I was featuring his airplane.What's the difference, he produces both aircraft and scenery...same company!Darryl
Perhaps they posted in The Pilot´s Lounge, in there most stuff goes. I recall someone posting a really nice video in there that did include other products.

...Surely you would not fault a Ford dealer for not wanting shiny new Chevies being driven into and shown in their showroom.... Kind regards,
Very very true. But just to be the Devil's advocate for a second, the scenery he was flying over could only serve to make Orbx look even better! I know, I have that scenery and it's ....well, I don't fly it any more since I first bought FTX. So to my mind it's a bit like a Ford dealer having a Lada drive through your showroom. :( Another teacup, another storm. :(

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

Well Darryl,as you see, FTX/ORBX is not alone in this case. Take Just Flight for an instance. Once the forum moderators see any other scenery in the UK, let's say the Horizon UK VFR Scenery, or any other scenery that is not the JF VFR Real Scenery on at least one of those screenshots, they'll remove those screenies. This case is not a part of unfair competition or such, the screenshot forums of ORBX (or any company for that matter) are solely used as both a guidance and a promotion for their OWN products, and not the ones from others. If you do not intend to purchase the Australian packs at all, I suggest that you post your screenies somewhere else. Dave.

Well Darryl,as you see, FTX/ORBX is not alone in this case. Take Just Flight for an instance. Once the forum moderators see any other scenery in the UK, let's say the Horizon UK VFR Scenery, or any other scenery that is not the JF VFR Real Scenery on at least one of those screenshots, they'll remove those screenies. This case is not a part of unfair competition or such, the screenshot forums of ORBX (or any company for that matter) are solely used as both a guidance and a promotion for their OWN products, and not the ones from others. If you do not intend to purchase the Australian packs at all, I suggest that you post your screenies somewhere else. Dave.
That's not entirely true in this case. While he didn't use their scenery, he did use their Lancair IV-P in the shots, which is their product. It's one thing if nothing in the shot is product related, but I think a little slack should have been given since he was showcasing their own aircraft addon. Why take a chance on alienating a paying customer, over screenshots?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

That's not entirely true in this case. While he didn't use their scenery, he did use their Lancair IV-P in the shots, which is their product. It's one thing if nothing in the shot is product related, but I think a little slack should have been given since he was showcasing their own aircraft addon. Why take a chance on alienating a paying customer, over screenshots?
They do allow pictures of the Lancair in the forum if you use cloud shots for a backdrop. John Venema has stated that, clouds are fine or sky or with ORBX Scenery. They just have a policy regarding using other peoples scenery. They are a scenery developer first, Aircraft developer second as Lancair is their only aircraft so far.Also with forums there is no way of making everyone happy. People will take issue with this or if not this then another policy. It is the same with every forum. Most people comply but there will always be an issue somewhere along the way. Nothing wrong with that either as I believe people should express their annoyance with policies as well. Sometimes that makes changes for the better as well.

Matthew Kane

Just think Darryl; how good your life must be if this is your biggest problem.Cheers, SLuggy