Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

Is "Flight" the Windows 7 of Flight Simulation?

I also was not able to run vista well at all. In my opinion, Vista was release prematurely. Microsoft did not have all the bugs worked out and gave the world a mess of an operating system. Windows 7, however, is a day at the beach. I have not found a single bug since I started using it when the RC version was out. It also performs/runs very fast on my computer.
Agree 100%. I dumped Vista at Wi ndows 7RC1 and quite frankly I would be just as happy running RC1 as I am running RTM because it was that good and stable. The industry was astounded at how well Windows 7 performed in beta - Microsoft got it right. The trend continues with IE9, which does have a few quirks in beta but is arguably the fastest browser for Windows 7 even beating Chrome. MS seems to be getting it. They got lazy with Vista and I dare say, FSX and they took a beating for it. As a matter of fact the unfortunate similarities between FSX and Vista end with over 1400 of the Vista team being laid off along with Aces...coincidence? Oh, and I could add insult to injury with Windows Mobile 6.5 but I won't, the bad times are behind us. :-)Sometimes you just have to clean house, refocus and dust yourself off. I'm a big Microsoft fan but have been disappointed with them until Windows 7 when they began to turn things around. Windows 7, Office 2010, Windows Server 2008R2, Exchange 2010, Windows Phone 7 and soon IE9 show that Microsoft got a hard wake up call and have been born again hard. Every one of my large clients are either deploying or in final testing for all of the above mentioned products because they are among the best products that MS has released since they've been in business. I am really looking forward to Flight because Redmond is on a winning streak and Flight will ride that wave.

Guest veeray

Yes but Windows 7 is not as secure as Vista was.. Vista was locked down tight..... windows 7 reopened up the gates to exploits as old as the hills.

Seriously what are the chance of the same thing happening in Flight with a new engine like it did in FSX.....and what are the chance of MS working on fixing the problems in FSX to make it Flight?Do I wish MS would come out with a new engine...absolutly....after seeing the sinking wheel my money is on FSX been reworked.
I'm not sure how much simpler I can make it...the sim is in early development. Do you expect a flight simulator in alpha testing to be flawless?

Brandon Filer

I'm not sure how much simpler I can make it...the sim is in early development. Do you expect a flight simulator in alpha testing to be flawless?
With Microsoft, I don't even expect the RTM to be flawless!!Regards, Mike Mann

The question surely is can Microsoft produce a jolly good tea simulator.? Will it be good enough to fool the tasters of Sri Lanka ? some of the finest tea producers in the world,Yours Tutankhamen

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Windows Vista was the Windows 2000 of its time and I didn't buy them. Windows 7 is the Windows XP of the present and I bought them both. If you care as in remembering and get to know MS a little, they have their old reliable "modus operandi" and they stick to it. Graphics are still essentially polygons and until someone comes out with something different and substantially better there will be no need and no reason to rebuild the old FSX engine from the ground up but just improve it. MS, Intel and the GPU manufacturers community have plenty in their plates with x64 and multi-core processing for the time being and near future.IMHO!Cheers,MAB

Guest Dog_Is_My_Copilot
Seriously what are the chance of the same thing happening in Flight with a new engine like it did in FSX.....and what are the chance of MS working on fixing the problems in FSX to make it Flight?Do I wish MS would come out with a new engine...absolutly....after seeing the sinking wheel my money is on FSX been reworked.
I have decided to not jump to too many conclusions based on an early marketing video. And a "new engine" can be a blessing and a curse as has been noted in other threads (dmaher wrote some good notes about the pros and cons of such a wish. Having done some game development in a former life like he has I think he is spot on).Maybe they just used FSX to show the aircraft at this point and they aren't showing the scenery yet. Maybe the model wasn't done yet. It is too early to make a judgment on such things.

It is too early to make a judgment on such things.
Not for the "hard-core" simmer, it isn't. After all, judgments are just another term for opinions. And opinions are like..., er, you know. Every one has one.It's taking those opinions and preaching them as some sort of truth that should be avoided, IMO. Friendly banter and the whatnot are a good way to pass the time until the fog lifts and the light of the sun shines brightly on FS11. :(

Not for the "hard-core" simmer, it isn't. After all, judgments are just another term for opinions. And opinions are like..., er, you know. Every one has one.It's taking those opinions and preaching them as some sort of truth that should be avoided, IMO. Friendly banter and the whatnot are a good way to pass the time until the fog lifts and the light of the sun shines brightly on FS11.  :(
If you wanna know the release timing, keep reading ........I have on good authority that FS11 will be released in the future.....  :(

I have decided to not jump to too many conclusions based on an early marketing video. And a "new engine" can be a blessing and a curse as has been noted in other threads (dmaher wrote some good notes about the pros and cons of such a wish. Having done some game development in a former life like he has I think he is spot on).Maybe they just used FSX to show the aircraft at this point and they aren't showing the scenery yet. Maybe the model wasn't done yet. It is too early to make a judgment on such things.
Point well taken BUT how can one say it's to early..? Do we know how far they are in Flight? They may have only 10% of Flight done or they may have 90% of it done...I don't know that myself, the only thing I know is this, if MS was working on a new engine I'll bet you a lot that we would see it in action (cause that's what they will be selling right?) and we would not see the same problems we can already see in FSX, seriously what are the chance of that happening?We can all say, it's to early, they are not done with this or that, the only thing I'm saying here is this "I see one of the problem we already have in FSX in Flight" so to me they are fixing what was wrong in FSX and they are adding stuff to make Flight ...let say...DX11 compatible.FSX engine is a very very good engine for flight simulation (trust me on this one) you'll be surprise to see how good this engine is bugs free...

My experience with operating systems.I bought Vista for my wife's machine. It was a disaster. After about a year, I bit the bullet, bought an extra copy of XP, and made the switch for her. Now she is happy again as am I.I continue to like XP on my second machine. It's the old standard that never fails.I have Windows 7 Pro 64 on my new machine, an I7-950. It's OK. I do like the built in XP mode and the easy to clone hard drive features. These give you a good deal of peace of mind against viruses, especially when combined with Sandboxie. There are other nice features in W7 that you have to make up your mind to accept. Once over that hurdle they are actually pretty nice improvements.As a tip, one thing I cannot believe I did not realize, and recently stumbled onto, is that your screen resolution setting dramatically affects/changes aspect ratio. My aspect ratio was all screwed up on I-Inc 28 monitors, with their odd screen size ratio, and a simple reduction to 1600 by 1200 put that all back on track. I missed that little bit of reality for a long time.Now I can't wait for the new era !!!!Bob - Las Cruces, NM

Is "Flight" the Windows 7 of Flight Simulation?
In short, 'Yes'. I made this statement awhile back that I believe 'Flight' will be comparable to what we've seen in the OS world from Microsoft. 'Flight' has a very good chance of setting things right in the FS community. I believe this version will run great on existing new machines upon release, far less bugs/issues/need for tweaks upon release than the version before it, be compatible with the latest hardware technologies upon release, and bring us all back to one sim. The elephant in the room will be how many FSX titles will be able to work in the new environment.I'm really looking forward to 'Flight' and happy I didn't spend a dime on the FSX environment. It will be nice to finally have a true upgrade/successor to FS9... :(

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest dlrk

Flight could very well be a glorified service pack for FSX, albeit late and sold expensively. Just like Win 7 (:

Flight could very well be a glorified service pack for FSX, albeit late and sold expensively. Just like Win 7 (:
Whatever works, as long as it works and works well... :(

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.