Sign in to follow this  
cenkcnk

Anyone try ATI 6950-6970?

i wonder newer ati cards performance on fsx. anyone have 6950-6970 or 6850-6870?

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

Hey cenkcnk I have the same question,its been a few years since i last owned an ATI card(4870) and for the 8 months i owned it i had major problems with and type of heavy cloud cover in FSX,i tried quite a few time to contact ATI both via there driver feedback program there own AMD/ATI gamer forums and also at Rage3d's fan forums,but i got stonewalled at there offical site & told by one of there forum mods (sprye) at rage3d that ATI were'nt going to re-write there drivers just for one FlightSim with a crappy game engine,in the end i just gave the 4870 to my sister so she could play the sims on it and brought a 260gtx(which i have and still runs FSX at 1920x1200 very nicely)Im quite interested in getting the 6970 for maybe moving to a dual/triple screen (something that a 6970 will done without having togo CF NV's only option for triple screen is to go SLI & dont want the extra noise and powerdraw from SLI)So if anyone out there has a 6590 or 6970 and runs FSX with the lastest tweaks and stuff like Orbx/REX/UTX/FEX/GEX ect ect we'ed love to hear how FSX runs for you and if heavey 4096 clouds still drag FPS into single digits (id also love to see some MLAA shots of FSX)CheersGizmo

i run the aforementioned 6970 in eyefinity , the clouds don't make it go into single digits , but a drop is still noticeable , bear in mind the resolution is 6040x1080 , so thats a lot of pixels to push trough. the driver is still a bit unpolished in my opinion (only 2 betas out) . also im still doing a bit of tweaking , but the card is a definite improvment from my old 5850. if you have any specific questions just ask

hi atf300, thanks for reply. when i had a 4870 1gb, i couldn't aa got worked. do you have any problem with aa? is there jaggied textures in your fsx?

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

Hi atf300 Many thanks for your reply :) Where to start! hehe Could you tell us how the 6970 performes when you start to put the load on it,things like Orbx/FEX/GEX/UTX with extend terrain LOD(above the default 4.5)HD textures with full on cloud draw distance,full autogen/water effect/bloom& does it stuffer from any kind of autogen spiking or texture flashes slow texture loading,what the hit/quality for diffrent AA modes is like and if the anisotropic filtering is upto snuff (ive read that it has a few morie problems with autogen buildings)Reading all that i think it might be a bit of a chore for you to get through and a bit to specific to my own FSX use/needs/wants,i think i might just have to buy one and drop it in to see for myself!CheersGizmo

This is for anyone interested. (I haven't run FSX yet or seen it in person, nor ever owned a video card, yet.)In a 560 thread, in which the 560 is highly praised, Bert Pieke said "The two key numbers for FSX are Texture Fill Rate and Memory bandwidth", and these numbers were posted: GTX560 52.5 128GTX570 43.9 152GTX580 49.4 192 Interestingly, here are the numbers for the AMD cards: 6870 50.4 1346950 70.4 1606970 84.5 176 So, if the 560's memory bandwidth and the 580's texture fill rate are pretty good, then the AMD cards should be in good shape by these measures.Not knowing which of those numbers is more important makes me want to look at (Texture Fill Rate)*(Memory Bandwidth) as a figure of merit: GTX560 6720GTX570 6673GTX580 9504 6870 6754 6950 11264 6970 14872 I would like to see a challenge to the above criteria and/or more discussion of the AMD cards' FSX-specific shortcomings and their work-arounds. Even more, I'd like to see more first-hand reports from 6970 owners, with some numbers. atf300? Single-monitor pretty strong, right? Artifacts?