Sign in to follow this  
jimimac

new graphics card

hi i have a nividia 250gts card installed to run fsx, i noticed the price of the 460gtx has dropped in price and was wondering if i would see a difference in running fsx with this card, my cpu is phenom 2 965 3.4ghz with 6g ddr. any advice please. thanks, jim mcphertson

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

Yeah there will probably be a small improvement. Do you play other games besides FSX? That's where the massive improvement will be.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Yeah there will probably be a small improvement. Do you play other games besides FSX? That's where the massive improvement will be.
no just fsx, i dont have the fsx sliders all the way to the right and i have the framerate set to 35 which holds steady while using rex sometime i get a bit of a stutter and feel maybe fsx could run a little bit smoother,was hoping the 460 would help there, also when the ngx arrives i would like to run in vc. the 460gtx has come down to £138 and thought this would be a good buy if it was gonna make a difference

thank you,Jim

hi i have a nividia 250gts card installed to run fsx, i noticed the price of the 460gtx has dropped in price and was wondering if i would see a difference in running fsx with this card, my cpu is phenom 2 965 3.4ghz with 6g ddr. any advice please. thanks, jim mcphertson
Personally I was saving up money for the 4XX cards, and almost wound up buying one with the price drop.. Now I am saving up for one of those EVGA GTX580 Superclocks.. I currently have a GTX285 (regular Nvidia) so is not a pressing pressing issue. The 5 series cards apparently run cooler, and about 20-30% faster... FSX is not so much vid card based, so I am not sure where the tipping point will be with video card performance. You are running about as fast on your processor as I am, and overclocking the CPU is where I noticed the biggest gain in FSX. That is just my take though. As not everyone has $500 to spend on a video card.. Although I am hoping by the time I hit that point that the price drops even further, or a new gen of card comes out.

I have the 460GTX - i really like it and FSX in my system is very nice. Similar specs to yours, actually.

I went from the Evga Geforce 295 to the factory overclocked 580. I got 3000 points on 3DMark06, and steady 30 frames with PMDG MD11, and FSDT KJFK , with UT2 at 70%.I have issues with PMDG not liking my 4.2 CPU overclock . I kicked it back to 3.7, and just did a 3 hr MD11 KMEM to KLAS(both add-on airports) with no performance loss or stutters on arrival.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Be aware that the FSX needs sheer CPU Power and is just slightly better with a more powerful graphic card. Don´t waste your money. Save it and buy a new Sandy Bridge CPU and Mainboard for example.Kai Bock

The right graphics card and the BP Poolsize=0 and FFTF=0 tweak and the difference can be amazing...Certainly my experience... but make sure your GPU is cooled well, as the load increase on the GPU is huge (now that all data is being sent directly to the card and not being pooled...)Andrew

thanks for the advice im going to wait until the ngx arrives and then save up more cash for a better cpu and board.

thank you,Jim

The right graphics card and the BP Poolsize=0 and FFTF=0 tweak and the difference can be amazing...Certainly my experience... but make sure your GPU is cooled well, as the load increase on the GPU is huge (now that all data is being sent directly to the card and not being pooled...)Andrew
Hi mate - Can you please explain what this does, and where in the fsx.cfg file these are added? Never heard of the BP Poolsize flaf before! :-)Thanks.