Sign in to follow this  
mf_blues

Default Boeing 747 stops too quickly

Is there a way to modify the aircraft.cfg file to make the stopping distance of aircraft in FSX more realistic.The other day I managed to land a boeing 747-400 in about 28 center lines on the run way, which while not the best way to measure the distance it is definately way to short to be realistic, I compared this to a video of a real plane A320 something or another which is smaller than the Boeing and that took 38 lines to stop, also when you're approaching the runway I looked and thought there's no way I can land on here and then I managed to stop about half way down the runway which didn't seem at all real, especially as I only used the brakes and touch down was at around 160knts.I'm only interested because I would like to use more realistic distances so if I do get a bit cocky and choose the wrong runway I'll pay the price of over shooting.CheersMart.

Guest F4PhantomRAAF2
Is there a way to modify the aircraft.cfg file to make the stopping distance of aircraft in FSX more realistic.The other day I managed to land a boeing 747-400 in about 28 center lines on the run way, which while not the best way to measure the distance it is definately way to short to be realistic, I compared this to a video of a real plane A320 something or another which is smaller than the Boeing and that took 38 lines to stop, also when you're approaching the runway I looked and thought there's no way I can land on here and then I managed to stop about half way down the runway which didn't seem at all real, especially as I only used the brakes and touch down was at around 160knts.I'm only interested because I would like to use more realistic distances so if I do get a bit cocky and choose the wrong runway I'll pay the price of over shooting.CheersMart.
Most of the aircraft I have played with seem 'easy' to fly.......I recommend the Level D 767 or if you must have the 747 yes modify the config file (I don't know how) but the PMDG 747 is pretty good I have been told.

Hi,I run a program called TSR Autobrakes which I got from Aerosoft, As well as properly simulating the autobrake systems of larger aircraft, it also amends the braking characteristics of runways, so it takes into account things like weather conditions, ie wet or dry runways, surface characteristics and slope( it has a built in database of airports that can be edited or amended by the user ) . It also tones down the braking forces to a more realistic level. One of the best pieces of payware I've bought, nothing like slipping and sliding down a wet runway trying to stop when you've landed a tad long lol.Steve

An alternative solution would be the PMDG 747-400X, which does stop far more realistically. Stopping the stock 747 by default is as simple as flying the Lear45. Dave.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have to take a look into the options available as I really would prefer the stopping distances to be realistic.CheersMartin

Try using 3D kockpit and zoom out by holding down space and 2nd mouse button then just scroll with the wheel.