Sign in to follow this  
skyymaster

Quntas

Finally, I will get to see 747ER. Qantas Airways will be making the long hop between Dallas/Fort Worth Airport and Australia starting in May, airline officials announced Thursday. Four times a week, the Australian carrier will fly a Boeing 747-400 jet with three classes of service from Sydney to D/FW, and then depart D/FW for Brisbane, northeast of Sydney, before continuing on to Sydney.Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/01/13/2767948/qantas-adding-dfw-flights.html#ixzz1BUWgJ9HF:(

Holy moly, that will be a long flight. Not so bad for an ER or course, but a shame that the PMDG model does not replicate the added fuel capacity of the ER. A few weeks ago I took the ole queen from KLAX to YMML for a 15 hour 2 minute flight, with just enough fuel left over to meet the minimum 19000lbs required when at the gate. I believe I had about 50% passenger/cargo loaded for this long stretch, and the maximum fuel allowed. I wonder what the passenger loads are for these australia flights from the U.S. west coast, does anyone know for certain if they limit payload weight to accommodate the fuel requirements?

Holy moly, that will be a long flight. Not so bad for an ER or course, but a shame that the PMDG model does not replicate the added fuel capacity of the ER. A few weeks ago I took the ole queen from KLAX to YMML for a 15 hour 2 minute flight, with just enough fuel left over to meet the minimum 19000lbs required when at the gate. I believe I had about 50% passenger/cargo loaded for this long stretch, and the maximum fuel allowed. I wonder what the passenger loads are for these australia flights from the U.S. west coast, does anyone know for certain if they limit payload weight to accommodate the fuel requirements?
They would if thats what their dispatch computer tells them. I think most (not all) of the dispatch stuff is done by a computer nowdays. The flight is actually so long that DFW-SYD will make a stop in Brisbane due to headwinds, even with the -ER.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Interesting stuff. I don't think its even possible to simulate this flight with our non-ER PMDG bird, unless you carry very few passengers and cargo, and that just wouldn't seem realistic. I suppose 747 v2 will cure that, hopefully with a -ER flight model added!Now I know why some want to see a -ER for the 737NGX to replicate oceanic crossings.

Interesting stuff. I don't think its even possible to simulate this flight with our non-ER PMDG bird, unless you carry very few passengers and cargo, and that just wouldn't seem realistic. I suppose 747 v2 will cure that, hopefully with a -ER flight model added!Now I know why some want to see a -ER for the 737NGX to replicate oceanic crossings.
Hey AJ, I have edited the PMDG Config and can now carry 183 tonnes of fuel just like the Oscar Echo's of QF which are ER models. Also, they are not going direct Dallas, but via LAX.Buzz

Martin Buzzell

You want me to do what!!!

Email me

Are you sure? I first heard this from GC Mapper, so I'll put that link in. It says the route is SYD-DFW-BNE-SYD. GC Mapper

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Guest F4PhantomRAAF2
Are you sure? I first heard this from GC Mapper, so I'll put that link in. It says the route is SYD-DFW-BNE-SYD. GC Mapper
Can go direct to DFW as tailwinds.... But will need BNE on the way back as headwinds can be strong. I suppose if forecast winds are too much they would stop in Hawai or Fiji.Daniel PS. DOes anyone have some sounds for me what the PMDG sounds like?

In Australia Jetstar are takeing there A320s to vietnam via darwin. I work with a x jetstar flight planner who siad they where running on fumes when they get there. they are also flying 320s to FIJI and virgin are taking 737s there where most airlines take jumbos or 330s or 777s

Hey AJ, I have edited the PMDG Config and can now carry 183 tonnes of fuel just like the Oscar Echo's of QF which are ER models. Also, they are not going direct Dallas, but via LAX.Buzz
Buzz;Apologies if you've already posted it somewhere else already...but would you mind sharing what you specifically changed in your config (which tank capacities, MTOW etc.)?Any weird loading/CoG issues?Thanks;Matt

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Buzz;Apologies if you've already posted it somewhere else already...but would you mind sharing what you specifically changed in your config (which tank capacities, MTOW etc.)?Any weird loading/CoG issues?Thanks;Matt
No issues at all! Quite happy I can do the pacific crossing. I just enlarged the amount in the centre tank. When you try and change the fuel in "PMDG" Options, after you put in 183 and press set, it will default back to 174. Don't worry though, it puts 183 in. The FMC will accept 412 tonnes as the gross weight, which of course is your MTOW. Would be nice to have the extra fuel switches and synoptic, but this is quite a good compromise. Credit goes to someone in this forum whom I forget for helping me. Below is the fuel section of my config and the figure I changed. I kept a back up just in case, but haven't needed it yet.Buzz[fuel] // Combi/ER + optional stab (Center2)LeftAux = -112.0, -36.5, -3.0, 4482.0, 0.0 // Main 1LeftMain = -96.0, -28.0, -4.0, 12546.0, 0.0 // Main 2RightMain = -96.0, 28.0, -4.0, 12546.0, 0.0 // Main 3RightAux = -112.0, 36.5, -3.0, 4482.0, 0.0 // Main 4LeftTip = -130.0, -73.0, 0.0, 1322.0, 0.0 // R2RightTip = -130.0, 73.0, 0.0, 1322.0, 0.0 // R3Center1 = -83.5, 0.0, -7.0, 20436.0, 0.0 // CWTCenter2 = -193.5, 0.0, 6.0, 3300.0, 0.0 // STAB [Optional]Center3 = -83.5, 0.0, -7.0, 50.0, 0.0 // Otherfuel_type = 2 //Fuel type: 1 = Avgas, 2 = JetAnumber_of_tank_selectors = 4 electric_pump=0

Martin Buzzell

Email me

I was on a Qantas flight from Sydney (YSSY) to Antarctica and back during February 2006. Obviously, the aircraft (a Qantas B747-438ER VH-OEH) did not land on Antarctica but it did descent to about 11,000ft for a scenic flight that lasted a couple of hours over the continent - almost 13 hours flight time in all. I chatted with the Captain after the flight and got a copy of the flight plan. Would I be breaking any laws if I were to post the flight plan on this forum? Perhaps Robert could chime in here? I don't think it'll hurt to say that the aircraft was loaded with about 180 tonnes of fuel, which gave it a bit over 16 hours flying time. Don't forget that they needed fuel not just for the climb out of Sydney but also for the climb out of Antarctica after descending for the scenic part of the flight. That's more fuel than we can simulate with the PMDG Jumbo!

No issues at all! Quite happy I can do the pacific crossing. I just enlarged the amount in the centre tank. When you try and change the fuel in "PMDG" Options, after you put in 183 and press set, it will default back to 174. Don't worry though, it puts 183 in. The FMC will accept 412 tonnes as the gross weight, which of course is your MTOW. Would be nice to have the extra fuel switches and synoptic, but this is quite a good compromise. Credit goes to someone in this forum whom I forget for helping me. Below is the fuel section of my config and the figure I changed. I kept a back up just in case, but haven't needed it yet.Buzz[fuel] // Combi/ER + optional stab (Center2)LeftAux = -112.0, -36.5, -3.0, 4482.0, 0.0 // Main 1LeftMain = -96.0, -28.0, -4.0, 12546.0, 0.0 // Main 2RightMain = -96.0, 28.0, -4.0, 12546.0, 0.0 // Main 3RightAux = -112.0, 36.5, -3.0, 4482.0, 0.0 // Main 4LeftTip = -130.0, -73.0, 0.0, 1322.0, 0.0 // R2RightTip = -130.0, 73.0, 0.0, 1322.0, 0.0 // R3Center1 = -83.5, 0.0, -7.0, 20436.0, 0.0 // CWTCenter2 = -193.5, 0.0, 6.0, 3300.0, 0.0 // STAB [Optional]Center3 = -83.5, 0.0, -7.0, 50.0, 0.0 // Otherfuel_type = 2 //Fuel type: 1 = Avgas, 2 = JetAnumber_of_tank_selectors = 4 electric_pump=0
Thanks Buzz. I believe I will have to set up a separate aircraft folder using this mod and containing the QANTAS livery :)

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Guest F4PhantomRAAF2
I was on a Qantas flight from Sydney (YSSY) to Antarctica and back during February 2006. Obviously, the aircraft (a Qantas B747-438ER VH-OEH) did not land on Antarctica but it did descent to about 11,000ft for a scenic flight that lasted a couple of hours over the continent - almost 13 hours flight time in all. I chatted with the Captain after the flight and got a copy of the flight plan. Would I be breaking any laws if I were to post the flight plan on this forum? Perhaps Robert could chime in here? I don't think it'll hurt to say that the aircraft was loaded with about 180 tonnes of fuel, which gave it a bit over 16 hours flying time. Don't forget that they needed fuel not just for the climb out of Sydney but also for the climb out of Antarctica after descending for the scenic part of the flight. That's more fuel than we can simulate with the PMDG Jumbo!
Interesting mate. I always saw them on the TV as I live in OZ too. Those flights are usually charity events about this time of year.As for the flight plans I can't say. There is a law for everything these days and its getting worse. Now a flood tax!!!!I like the Qantas Jumbos but don't spend much time in them. The last 744 I was in was a CPA 744 into Narita (jumpseat). If they still do the Taiwan stop, would love to do that in the cockpit. But that is a no go zone.EDIT:As for Qantas, it is DIRECT from YSSY to KDFW.http://www.qantas.co...room-1140/am/enDaniel

Interesting mate. I always saw them on the TV as I live in OZ too. Those flights are usually charity events about this time of year.As for the flight plans I can't say. There is a law for everything these days and its getting worse. Now a flood tax!!!!I like the Qantas Jumbos but don't spend much time in them. The last 744 I was in was a CPA 744 into Narita (jumpseat). If they still do the Taiwan stop, would love to do that in the cockpit. But that is a no go zone.EDIT:As for Qantas, it is DIRECT from YSSY to KDFW.http://www.qantas.co...room-1140/am/enDaniel
Intersting, that article doesn't mention it's going to be a 744. The OP's article does. It'll be interesting to see what they do actually use as it's right on the limit for a 744, even the ER's. I wonder if they'll use the A380 as according to the QF FCTM for the A380, it can carry 253,983 kilos of fuel.Also, Matthew, I have quite a few QF Flightplans including a few of the Antartic flights. I know of QF Tech crews posting their FP's in other forums, so I wouldn't worry too much.Buzz

Martin Buzzell

Email me