Sign in to follow this  
Guest DanielBu

Ocean test

Guest DanielBu

Here's an up-to-date file of my work. If you'd like to test it, you'll need to convert it to bmp, then import into imagetool and add mip maps. Save as 8 bit bmp and put into fs9texture (I needed to compress it to fit the size limitation).Tell me what you think. I tried to include oceanlike wave patterns, I'm not sure if I've succeeded. Also, on my PC I sometimes seem to get the wrong mip levels - but it's possible that there are infact different texture levels to simulate different wave height (larger offshore waves?). Not sure.Umm yea. I'm also working on the env_maps, but the results aren't perfect yet. Maybe I'll release something this weekend, don't know.Any feedback appreciated!-Daniel

Daniel,I'll give it a try when I'm back from work later today. I'm still using your previous bmp, I find it the best so far. :)Am I correct in assuming that there's only one bitmap for the waves? Would be kind of nice if there were two, one for larger and one for smaller waves in shallow waters close to the shore...Thanks for your efforts, I'll report back as soon as try your new .bmp.Regards,Jurehttp://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest product

I'm also using your previous bitmap, though combined with Bill Lyon's calm water textures... a great pair. How will this new .bmp be different?Best,Joel

Hi Daniel, I converted your jpg to bmp, then I opened it with image tool, but I don't know what to do next. I can't find a command to add the mip maps - how do you do it?

Ken,open the .bmp in Imagetool, then click Image -> Create MipMaps.It will create 8 mipmaps for you. Then check format; click Image -> Format, there should be a tick at 8-bit. Save as OceanHeightField.bmp and copy to your FS2004Textures folder and you're done.Regards,Jurehttp://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest DanielBu

Well, check out the different bmp's and you'll see ;) basically I added some width to the waves, in two orthogonal directions. I really haven't found any good top-down photos of water, wich would help ... but I think I managed to recreate real waves quite well. I'd really like a sharper maximum in the waves, not such a round one. But that would mean going to a higher resolution as well (which would work).I also increased the env_files for test purposes, a 1024 dxt texture has the same size as the original, 32bit 512 ones. So basically you could include finer sparkles, but I haven't gotten any good results here yet. Always looks like dirt on the water :D-Daniel