Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

Is it possible to change bgl's filenames without consequences?

Hey guys,I have a slight problem. Genius that I am, I reorganized my scenery.cfg file so, that all terrain related stuff is as far down as possible, and city sceneries and airports come on top. That's fine of course and it works well, but now I have a problem. I have a Helsinki photoscenery installed, and now I want to install a Vantaa photoscenery, but both sceneries have a bgl file with the same name: landclass.bgl. I do not want to have to add an other entry into the scenery.cfg because of all the editing I'll have to do (I never add sceneries via the FS2004 interface, it always gets all the numbers mixed up and makes a gigantic mess of things, or so is my experience with it). So, I was wondering: is it possible to change the landclass.bgl filename to, for example, landclass_vantaa.bgl? Will everything still display correctly, or does it absolutely have to have the original filename to work proparly?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Hi,You can safely change the name of the landclass file.

Okay, thanks for the quick reply!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

A very useful program to renumber your scenery.cfg file after making your own changes is....rsc_v1.2.0.zip by Mark Regal available here on avsim.Colin B

File names are not totally unimportant. FS reads them alphabetically, if you rename files so that their order changes (from A.bgl B.bgl to B.bgl C.bgl for example (A becomes C)), you may, under unique circumstances, break something in a scenery.Check out a couple of scenery folders, you may notice some files starting with an underscore, that's not a coincidence.:(

Mike...

A very useful program to renumber your scenery.cfg file after making your own changes is....rsc_v1.2.0.zip by Mark Regal available here on avsim.Colin B
Gonna check that out ASAP. Thanks!

Benjamin van Soldt

File names are not totally unimportant. FS reads them alphabetically, if you rename files so that their order changes (from A.bgl B.bgl to B.bgl C.bgl for example (A becomes C)), you may, under unique circumstances, break something in a scenery.Check out a couple of scenery folders, you may notice some files starting with an underscore, that's not a coincidence.
Agree. I take it the idea is to move scenery bgls into the existing Helsinki scenery folder. It would help to look at the area coverage of each landclass file in tmfviewer or lwmviewer and verify if there is overlap. If there is OP needs to decide which should have priority and the naming will control with the bgl files in the same scenery folder.scott s..

Agree. I take it the idea is to move scenery bgls into the existing Helsinki scenery folder. It would help to look at the area coverage of each landclass file in tmfviewer or lwmviewer and verify if there is overlap. If there is OP needs to decide which should have priority and the naming will control with the bgl files in the same scenery folder.scott s..
Interesting stuff, guys. I didn't realize that FS2004 may have a way of reading them, but it's actually quite obvious. Thanks for the input!

Benjamin van Soldt