Sign in to follow this  
sac65

Flight takeoff direction

I'm in the process of rebuilding an Air Force base where I was stationed in the 60's. It was changed from SAC to ATC and the new layout in FS2004 is much different than I remember it. Two things I need to find out is; 1.) can the takeoff direction of an aircraft (or the airfield) be changed? In 2004, takeoffs are in the opposite direction of most flights in the 60's? and,2.) is there a way to accurately place buildings along the flight line?I'm still kind of new to this stuff, and any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been using AFCAD to modify the runways, etc., but don't know where to start on these two questions.Jim H

Hi JimIndeed you can. In the afcad tool you're using, you'll see some checkboxes labelled "Closed for takeoff" and "closed for landing" in the runway properties popup box (double click the runway to get it). You can use these to solve the first problem.There are various tools available to add buildings. I haven't done so for a while so someone else might be able to suggest the current best option, but look for things like EZ-Scenery, Airport Design Editor etc.

I'm in the process of rebuilding an Air Force base where I was stationed in the 60's. It was changed from SAC to ATC and the new layout in FS2004 is much different than I remember it. Two things I need to find out is; 1.) can the takeoff direction of an aircraft (or the airfield) be changed? In 2004, takeoffs are in the opposite direction of most flights in the 60's? and,2.) is there a way to accurately place buildings along the flight line?I'm still kind of new to this stuff, and any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been using AFCAD to modify the runways, etc., but don't know where to start on these two questions.Jim H
Do you have pics of the airfield back then? what airfield is it?Short answer to both is yes.Douglas

Many thanks guys. The airbase I'm trying to make is Columbus AFB in Mississippi where I was stationed with the 454th Bomb Wing (SAC) in the late 60's. The current airport files shows 3 runways, all taking off in a generally northern direction. In the real world of the 60's, that would have been toward the SAC alert area (where 8 B52's were always on alert status (and yes, fully armed with atomic weapons...remember this was during the cold war). In that configuration, the aircraft would have to taxi to the far end of the runway before takeoff. If I remember correctly, we only had about 10 minutes from the time the alert siren sounded to put all those aircraft in the air and on their way to their target, so a long taxi was out of the question. What I'm trying to accomplish is bring the plane straight out of the alert area onto the active runway (only one) and try to replicate an alert situation. Then, time permitting, I want to try to replicate some of the flight line shops. Unfortunately, I have to do it all from memory as I have no photos of the flight line.Again, many thanks for this help. If I ever get it finished, I'll post it in case others out there might be interested.Jim H

Many thanks guys. The airbase I'm trying to make is Columbus AFB in Mississippi where I was stationed with the 454th Bomb Wing (SAC) in the late 60's. The current airport files shows 3 runways, all taking off in a generally northern direction. In the real world of the 60's, that would have been toward the SAC alert area (where 8 B52's were always on alert status (and yes, fully armed with atomic weapons...remember this was during the cold war). In that configuration, the aircraft would have to taxi to the far end of the runway before takeoff. If I remember correctly, we only had about 10 minutes from the time the alert siren sounded to put all those aircraft in the air and on their way to their target, so a long taxi was out of the question. What I'm trying to accomplish is bring the plane straight out of the alert area onto the active runway (only one) and try to replicate an alert situation. Then, time permitting, I want to try to replicate some of the flight line shops. Unfortunately, I have to do it all from memory as I have no photos of the flight line.Again, many thanks for this help. If I ever get it finished, I'll post it in case others out there might be interested.Jim H
Maybe you can do a scetch of the runways, taxiways and buildings that you recall and we can go from there.Douglas