Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyVegas

FSX won't start today

I've been running Microsoft FSX on a Windows Vista 64-bit PC for a few months with no problems until today. Suddenly when I try to start FSX it goes to the opening splash screen and then just sits there forever with the little wheel going around. Yesterday I ran it for over 4 hours with no problems. The only thing new I've installed lately is CoPilot Pro. I tried uninstalling it, but FSX still won't start. I tried System Restore, still no help. Uninstalled and reinstalled FSX and SP1 and SP2, still no go! Any suggestions?

Guest firehawk44
I've been running Microsoft FSX on a Windows Vista 64-bit PC for a few months with no problems until today. Suddenly when I try to start FSX it goes to the opening splash screen and then just sits there forever with the little wheel going around. Yesterday I ran it for over 4 hours with no problems. The only thing new I've installed lately is CoPilot Pro. I tried uninstalling it, but FSX still won't start. I tried System Restore, still no help. Uninstalled and reinstalled FSX and SP1 and SP2, still no go! Any suggestions?
When you uninstalled FSX, SP1 and SP2, did you run a registry cleaner and delete the FSX folders still remaining on your system before you reinstalled? Uninstalling and reinstalling is not the preferred method for resolving issues with FSX as simply deleting the fsx.cfg will fix a majority of issues regarding fsx startups. When you reinstalled fsx, did you run fsx before installing SP1 and SP2 or did you reinstall everything, including SP2, and then startup FSX? I hope you didn't use the old fsx.cfg when you reinstalled FSX. It will only lead to problems. CoPilot Pro is an old addon for FSX and it probably uses an old MS C++ redistributable for proper installation. Make sure you have all the old and current redistributables installed, especially when installing old programs like CoPilot Pro. There's an SP1 to the 2005 redistributable that needs to be installed too - http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB961894/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2067 . Also make sure you have the latest DotNet (Google dotnet) installed. Lastly, whenever installing FSX or FSX addons, you should disable User Access Controls (UAC) as this could have prevented your system from making certain registry entries. Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim

Thanks for your speedy reply Jim. I'm afraid I'm going to have to start all over again today. After I reinstalled FSX I did not restart it. I immediately installed SP1 and SP2 from a CaptainSim 757 disk that includes them both. I have a Registry Mechanic on another PC that lets me install it on 3 computers, so I have installed it on the PC with FSX. Hope it works this time after doing a registry clean. Dreading the thought of reformatting the hard drive with all my addon scenery and aircraft. That will be my last recourse. I'm kinda new to config files, I only know to type MSCONFIG in the Start window. I'm going to take a look at that now. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Guest jahman
After I reinstalled FSX I did not restart it. I immediately installed SP1 and SP2 from a CaptainSim 757 disk that includes them both...
Do yourself a favour and get the FSX Gold Edition DVD set: They are heavily discounted these days ($30!), you won't have to deal with SPs and you get Acceleration (allows for controlling turbos, not available with SP2). As usual, install FSX first, start and quit FSX, install Acceleration.Cheers,- jahman.

Jahman,I do have the gold Deluxe FSX, bought it awhile back when it first came out. Trying to install it on a newer computer with no luck. Still hangs on the opening splash screen. Does anyone know if Microsoft still supports FSX? I've been trying to contact them for support through fsinsider.com and cannot connect. It asks me if I want to download Active X and then when I click Yes I get a message that Microsoft IE is blocking it and the popup window does not have an option to allow it.

Guest jahman

Is this where you are going for Microsoft support for FSX?Just to be sure, we need to look at some of your Internet Explorer security settings:Program: Internet ExplorerMenu Item: ToolsDrop-Down Menu: Internet OptionsTab: SecurityButton: Custom LevelDialog-Box Window: Settings* Section: ActiveX Controls and Settings - Binary and Script Behaviours: Enable- Download Signed ActiveX Controls: Enable- Run ActiveX Controls and Plugins: Enable- Script ActiveX Control marked Safe for Scripting: Enable*Section: Scripting- Active Scripting: Enable- Scripting of Java Applets: EnableCheers,- jahman.

Thanks again jahman. My mistake, I don't have the Gold Deluxe FSX. I have the Deluxe FSX and the cover has some gold coloring but it's not the same cover as your link, so it does not have the Acceleration. Anyway I changed my settings in IE but I think Microsoft support is closed at this hour (22:00). I'l try tomorrow again.

If you need a uninstall try[ Renounin ].

Last Saturday I reformatted my hard drive to original factory specs, defraggged it, and reinstalled all my flight sim software in a nice orderly fashion (first saving all my MegaScenery files to USB flashdrive). Finished in time to spend Sunday watching NFL playoffs. Happy to spend more time flying now and less time troubleshooting.