Sign in to follow this  
audiohavoc

Start my PPL training tomorrow at KLGB

I went and toured the Long Beach Flying Club facilities at KLGB today and liked it enough to start training for my PPL with them. I am excited to finally be at the controls of a real aircraft, and I am pretty sure I am going to do my training in a Piper Warrior, or possibly their Piper Archer II. The introductory flight is tomorrow, and I am definitely excited to do it. I also scheduled my Class III medical examination in the morning before the flight. Now, I'm going to go do some pattern work at KLGB in FSX with my new Carenado Piper Archer to familiarize myself with the cockpit layout.

Hi Shane.Good luck. KLGB is a good place to learn, but it's in a very busy area. Make sure study, ask and learn about the area, air space as much as you can as early as you can. LBFC has free lance CFIs make sure you make the right decision / choice, but you may have picked your Instructor already. You will spend a lot of time with your CFI. Get an Outline of your Course and have a Syllabus Before you get started, after the Intro should be OK, but do it before you make the final decision. Time builder can be more costly.Make sure you know exactly what the cost is. Experienced CFIs will work with you. You can work things out like Ground Total you may be able to get 20-30 hours fixed, and you do not have constantly think about the cost, having the CFI take time to do a Pre and Post flight discussion etc. This is assuming that you are diligent and do your part. There are people that will try to take advantage of the situation and try to get the CFIs to baby sit them, and never do their home work. Ask your CFI what is a typical Lesson? Are you being given at an Course Outline for the complete cycle? This way you can prepare your Ground / Maneuver steps etc., before you take the actual flight? Is there a Lesson Plan with each lesson? How is each session presented, i.e. Preflight, go over everything, on the ground, before you go up? How does the CFI intend to instruct when in the air. Initially, when a new task / maneuver is introduced, things work best when Instructor tells, and does, Student tells Instructor does, Student tells and does. Do Not try to hurry / precipitate the process, in the long run this is the best method, Post flight briefing. Coming from the Sim you may have a tendency to think that you are ahead of the cycle, and you are in some ways, but there are many things that have a negative learning transfer from the PC Sim to real flying, i.e. Attitude Indicator, Landing attitude, do not over pitch in the real bird. Be patient until you get to do something at least once in the real plane, before you decide if you really know it.Post here if you have any specific questions. TV

Make sure you know exactly what the cost is. Experienced CFIs will work with you. You can work things out like Ground Total you may be able to get 20-30 hours fixed, and you do not have constantly think about the cost, having the CFI take time to do a Pre and Post flight discussion etc. This is assuming that you are diligent and do your part. There are people that will try to take advantage of the situation and try to get the CFIs to baby sit them, and never do their home work.
You remind me of a point I bring up to most new students. In my experience smaller "mom and pop" flight schools are a better place for primary training. To me it just seems like "recreational" students going for their primary get lost amongst the many other students at larger flight schools. Just a theory but I've seen it happen a few times.Also, smaller flight schools (not independent CFIs) have a more personable, "home" feel to them. This helps someone who isn't pursuing a professional career in aviation and helps with the "instructor went to bigger and better things" problem. Am I rambling?Back to the OP. Good luck! Are you planning a "future" in aviation?!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

First, thank you all for the replies. I have not yet selected my CFI, but I am meeting the first candidate today and we will do an introductory flight.

Back to the OP. Good luck! Are you planning a "future" in aviation?!
Yes, my goal is to serve and fly with the Air Force Reserves. I will take any airframe I can get with them, but I plan to apply to units that will put me in either the C-17, C-5, KC-10, or the KC-135. If I don't make it, I plan to continue to fly privately and possibly pursue a job as a cargo pilot.

Additional note: Go ahead and get a second-class medical certificate. Sounds like you'll be at the instrument/commercial training well before the original certificate expires..

First flight completed today, and was very cool. I got to fly the aircraft about 99% of the time from takeoff to touchdown. Departed to the West from 25L at KLGB and went out over the ocean to try some basic maneuvers that included: climbing/descending, level turns, climbing turns, and descending turns. After about 40 minutes out over the water, we headed back towards Signal Hill and made a 45 degree entry into the downwind leg for 25L. On the approach, idle power seemed a little too high and the aircraft was a bit slow to descend. This left me a little high and with a slight crosswind I ended up floating a bit further then I would have liked, but it was a smooth landing with just a little stall warning as the wheels hit the ground. Watching the C-17's land and depart while taxiing was a nice bonus. I am scheduled to fly again on Monday afternoon and can't wait.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Sounds like you had a good first lesson. Good luck with the rest of your training.

I can still remember my first Takeoff in the left seat from 25L at Delta 8 years ago. I make it a point to stop by AirFlite anytime I go through the LA area, good service and good people. Congratulations on taking the first step :).

First flight completed today, and was very cool. I got to fly the aircraft about 99% of the time from takeoff to touchdown. Departed to the West from 25L at KLGB and went out over the ocean to try some basic maneuvers that included: climbing/descending, level turns, climbing turns, and descending turns. After about 40 minutes out over the water, we headed back towards Signal Hill and made a 45 degree entry into the downwind leg for 25L. On the approach, idle power seemed a little too high and the aircraft was a bit slow to descend. This left me a little high and with a slight crosswind I ended up floating a bit further then I would have liked, but it was a smooth landing with just a little stall warning as the wheels hit the ground. Watching the C-17's land and depart while taxiing was a nice bonus. I am scheduled to fly again on Monday afternoon and can't wait.
Congrats and good luck! I start training on Wednesday at F70 French Valley. Really looking forward to it and seeing this report of your first flight is getting me even more excited. I'll be in a C172N. Maybe we can meet in Catalina when we're practicing short field landings. Big%20Grin.gif

Congrats and good luck! I start training on Wednesday at F70 French Valley. Really looking forward to it and seeing this report of your first flight is getting me even more excited. I'll be in a C172N. Maybe we can meet in Catalina when we're practicing short field landings. Big%20Grin.gif
Thanks and same to you!biggrin.gifHad another great lesson today. I practiced S-turns, turns around a point, then did 3 touch-and-gos then a full stop landing. The last landing was well after the sun had gone down, and we actually had to call the tower to turn up the runway lighting. Again this time, I flew 99% of the time and my instructor was very pleased with my flying and landing. Going back again tomorrow and the next day, then I have to make a short trip to Portland for business. I might be taking my fiancee flying on a lesson this coming weekend if my schedule works out.