Sign in to follow this  
Guest JZL 1

Dilemma

I currently run the following system:AMD 2000XP, GeForce2 GTS Ultra - 64mb, 768mb PC2700 DDR RAM.The dilemma I find myself in is whether to upgrade the Video card or to upgrade the Processor/Mobo combination.For the same amount of money (roughly) I can get an FX5900 - bottom end if there is such a thing - or a P4 2.8ghz FSB 800 hyper threading processor and compatible mobo.Which upgrade will give me the best performance increase?BTW, I am currently running FS2002 with F/R pegged at 20 and get occasional pauses when the scenery and/or AI is intense. I have tried a friends FS9, also pegged at 20, on my system and it seems to run OK - only a few more pauses.Also, I haven't ruled out substituting a Radeon of some description for the FX card but at the moment the confusion as to the best path to follow is as they say 'doin my ead in'Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Guest daveg4otu

I would advise doing the Graphics card first- this will give the best increas in performance./My system is roughly similar to yours- same CPU XP2000+.When I went from a 64 mb Nvidia card to a 128MB card the difference was startlingMy 3DMark2001 benchmark score went from about 3500 to 9915- I seriously doubt you'll get that sort of increase from a CPU upgrade.In addition ,doing the Graphics card first still leaves you the opportunity to upgrade the CPU later.Good luckDave

Guest B Bjorkman

I have a 1.7 P4. I upgraded from a Nvidia 32 meg Gforce 2 to a Nvidia 128mg 4600ti, I did see an improvement in overall appearance but zero increase in frame rates. If your looking for a better picture get the vcard, if your looking for frame rates get a more powerful processor. I'm currently looking to increase my cpu. I've always had Pentiums. What would a AMD 2800+ compare to in a Pentium?B Bjorkman CFI

Guest JZL 1

What about both a Barton 2500+ AND a 9600 or 9700 pro?