Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Nvidia configuration guide (Inspector + 2xx.xx drivers) version 2.0 + explanations of all settings

Hi, a question on this...I've got the latest nVidia Inspector, using these settings, and the 260.99 drivers with a GTS 450 1GB, running with FSX w/Acceleration, and I'm not seeing any AA or AF at all when I run (in windowed mode 1680x1050). I have the internal FSX AA turned off and filtering set to Trilinear. Does nVidia Inspector have to keep running in the background while FSX is active, like nHancer did, or are the profile changes permanent and "sticky" so they only have to be made once?
Inspector does not need to be running (and neither did nHancer) - it's not actively controlling the card, it's just making edits to the application profile file. The card should apply those settings when it detects FSX.exe as the active application. I think it's pretty unlikely that certain cards actually have problems with this - all the cards in each Nvidia series are basically the same core chip, just with certain sections of them turned off and the clock speeds changed. There's no reason a GTS 450 would be unable to do this stuff in FSX but a GTX460 can. I'd try the uninstall + Driver Sweeper method that I described earlier on your system as well. It's possible the driver's screwed up somehow.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Inspector does not need to be running (and neither did nHancer) - it's not actively controlling the card, it's just making edits to the application profile file. The card should apply those settings when it detects FSX.exe as the active application. I think it's pretty unlikely that certain cards actually have problems with this - all the cards in each Nvidia series are basically the same core chip, just with certain sections of them turned off and the clock speeds changed. There's no reason a GTS 450 would be unable to do this stuff in FSX but a GTX460 can. I'd try the uninstall + Driver Sweeper method that I described earlier on your system as well. It's possible the driver's screwed up somehow.
I'll give that a shot then, thanks. It's a two-week-old completely clean install of Windows 7 x64 so I haven't had any previous driver versions on it except for whatever W7 installed by default, but who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of registries.

Well, I tried cleaning out the drivers and upgrading to the latest 266.whatever from last week. I tried a couple different AA settings in Inspector (8xS, 8xSQ, 16xS). I rebooted. Nothing has worked. I duplicated the settings from this thread and when I run FSX, I get no AA. If I turn AA on inside FS, it looks great. If I turn it off inside FS, the drivers don't seem to be overriding FS's selection of "no AA thanks." Don't know if it's a Windows 7 thing (I just installed it so I'm still learning how it's different from Vista) or a permissions thing or what it is. But it's very odd, since Inspector is so simple to use, that I can't get it to work. I'll keep hammering away at it.

BTW, Ryan, I've tried through nVidia Control Panel with the 266.xx drivers as well; there is an "Override" setting in there, and while they don't list 8xS or 8xSQ as an option, they did list 8xQ. So I tried going through that, and it still didn't make any difference. Jaggies everywhere. I can't really tell if the 16x AF setting is doing anything or not.What's really weird? FS2004 works perfectly. I've got it going with 8xSQ through Inspector and it's doing great, and have also tried 16xS. If I try either one through Inspector with FSX, it doesn't work. It's like it can't "see" that fsx.exe is running or something. Weird.

Lewis,Are you positive you got all the Inspector settings right? That sounds to me like FSX's predefined flags aren't being overriden.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I still need to check the Antialiasing option in FSX to get it working porperly, if you got it unckecked it may be worth a try. And I can clearly see the effects of AA in my displays BTW

This is really odd - we have several people at PMDG with GTX460s and they get AA just fine with it unchecked... really sounds like somehow it's not overriding the Enhance Only flag or something. Can't believe that would be hardware/brand related - these cards are all basically the same exact thing made using Nvidia's reference design.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Thanks for this guide Ryan. Just happened to finally buy the 570 today,this was an upgrade from a 275, used *******' web app and followed yourguide, and ahhhhhh FSX bliss :( So, now I'm really ready, bring on the NGX!

Jack F. Vogel, Delta Virtual Airlines

Hey guys, i am using two video cards for a multi monitor set up at the moment. One GTX470 and one 8400GS, Is there any way to disable AA and AF on an individual graphics card? I tried selecting the 8400GS in nvidia inspector but it came with the same settings as the 470.EDIT: disregard, all fixed :)

thanks for the tip!Is there also a version for ATI cards?Thanks mate

Stephan Faessler // designer, painter

P1 // vACC Switzerland Controller

impulseai

970abb2d.png

thanks for the tip!Is there also a version for ATI cards?Thanks mate
No there's not, because Radeons don't support combined (MM+SS) anti aliasing modes. If you have HD6xxx then you can force AA into any d3d app from driver level (at least AMD claims so).

Mo,1. Why are you using the Global Profile instead of the FSX one? You also don't have the override flags enabled, which is probably why you need to check AA within FS.2. Why 8x AF? That's going to cause some blurring in the distance vs. 16x.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

To Ryan Maziarz: Found the solution to my overscan problem. Though the TV doesn't let you turn off the overscan, the first of the three HDMI inputs apparently does not use overscan, and FSX works fine in full screen mode when I plug my computer into this port. Thanks for your help. Mike Gutierrez

Michael Gutierrez. North Hollywood, California

It wasn't Ryan who first suggested trying to turn overscan off it was me, and your welcome :)

Cheers, Andy.