Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Nvidia configuration guide (Inspector + 2xx.xx drivers) version 2.0 + explanations of all settings

Hi Ryan,With these settings it looks great however EHSI and EADI look pretty blurry to me. (MD11 2D cockpit) What settings do you recomend to keep the crisp displays?I have a GTX460 running at 1280*1024Cheers,Cristian Ionescu

Hi Ryan,With these settings it looks great however EHSI and EADI look pretty blurry to me. (MD11 2D cockpit) What settings do you recomend to keep the crisp displays?I have a GTX460 running at 1280*1024Cheers,Cristian Ionescu
There's always going to be a tradeoff - supersampling will always blur the displays somewhat, that's just how that method of AA works. Try changing the AA mode to 4xS and the transparency mode to 2x supersampling and see if that helps at all. Otherwise you'll need to try a non-supersampling primary mode. I'd try maybe 16xQ primary mode with the 4x supersample transparency mode and see how that works.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks Ryan!The non-supersampled 16xQ mode worked best for me. Displays are crisp & clear in 2D just how I like them.Didn't noticed any difference by setting the transparency to 4x supersample - should I see any?Cheers,Cristian Ionescu

Ryan s settings are great for general PMDG/FSX use, but has anyone got any tweaks in N.Hancer to help FPS when flying the 747 into Kai Tak [ fly tampa HKG ] ThE NVIDIA recommended settings they suggest seem a bit outdated. Maybe Ryan could comment? Happy Flying everyone. Ray Griffiths.

Ray,Low FPS in FSX are rarely caused by video card settings - certain areas just bog down the CPU. You'll probably see low performance there regardless of how you set the video card - FSX is highly CPU limited. I get very good performance at the one FlyTampa airport I own though. (their new KTPA)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Well just managed to fry my GTX285 somehow... Looking for a replacement, but i think that a 5XX series will be a bit out of my budget... I would like something that is at least the equivalent to the GTX285 that was in there. Im considering either a Fermi GTX 460, 470, or 480. So two questions i guess... Will the all those cards be superior to the GTX285?Would there be any benefits in FSX going from the 460 to the 470, or the 470 to the 480? This is the one that im considering: LINKThis is the one that I fired: LINK

<--------------->
Mike Murawski

Well just managed to fry my GTX285 somehow... Looking for a replacement, but i think that a 5XX series will be a bit out of my budget... I would like something that is at least the equivalent to the GTX285 that was in there. Im considering either a Fermi GTX 460, 470, or 480. So two questions i guess... Will the all those cards be superior to the GTX285?Would there be any benefits in FSX going from the 460 to the 470, or the 470 to the 480? This is the one that im considering: LINKThis is the one that I fired: LINK
If you're considering a 400 series, I was only mildly impressed with the GTX465, my current card. There are other cards in the same price range that would out do it. Going back to what Tabs said though, the video card doesn't have a whole lot of say in FSX performance. I'd rather spend $200 on a card & $300 on a better cpu than just blow $500 on a great card. For other gaming a top shelf video card may be what you need, but on FSX it's pretty much all about the CPU.

Ray,Don't know if this will help you but I have just put the 747 at Kai Tak and done a quick t/o 13 to CH at 8,000ft then the Stone Cutter approach.I was getting about 12FPS with clear weather but still smooth, this dropped to 9 with heavy thundestorm theme.I am running road traffic at 50%. Lens flare on, aircraft casts shadows on itself and ground, ground shadows, and water High 2.xUsing nvidia inspector with Ryan's settings.Until recently I was using 2GB RAM and there's no way I could have got those FPS with those settings. But 4GB RAM helped with the 3GB switch but I think the Win7 64bit has helped. I am sure the graphics card helped as well. I did have a 9800GT but managed to fry it, don't know how, it was not overclocked and I've never fried one before.DaveEDIT I am using the FSPlimiter to limit FPS to 20.E8400 at 3.6GHz anad Nvidia 460GTX with 1GB memory. Win7 64bit 4GB RAM.

Edited by Vulcan

If you're considering a 400 series, I was only mildly impressed with the GTX465, my current card. There are other cards in the same price range that would out do it. Going back to what Tabs said though, the video card doesn't have a whole lot of say in FSX performance. I'd rather spend $200 on a card & $300 on a better cpu than just blow $500 on a great card. For other gaming a top shelf video card may be what you need, but on FSX it's pretty much all about the CPU.
Just FYI, the 465 is the old GF100 chip, it's actually less powerful than the 460 despite the "higher" number. If you're buying right now, you want a GF110 chip, which means the 460, the 560 Ti, the 570 or the 580.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Just FYI, the 465 is the old GF100 chip, it's actually less powerful than the 460 despite the "higher" number. If you're buying right now, you want a GF110 chip, which means the 460, the 560 Ti, the 570 or the 580.
Yeah, that's what I learned after the fact. I'm a serious impulse shopper. At the time I had recently decided to buy a video card & happened to be in best buy picking up a new console game. Wandered over to video cards just to browse & said "Oooo, 465, that's the highest number on the shelf, it MUST be good!"So I put it in & to be honest it wasn't much better than my onboard graphics. Live & learn...

Thanks for the info Dave, any chance of how to download limiter & set up details info.? Best Regards , Ray Griffiths.

Ray,Don't know if this will help you but I have just put the 747 at Kai Tak and done a quick t/o 13 to CH at 8,000ft then the Stone Cutter approach.I was getting about 12FPS with clear weather but still smooth, this dropped to 9 with heavy thundestorm theme.I am running road traffic at 50%. Lens flare on, aircraft casts shadows on itself and ground, ground shadows, and water High 2.xUsing nvidia inspector with Ryan's settings.Until recently I was using 2GB RAM and there's no way I could have got those FPS with those settings. But 4GB RAM helped with the 3GB switch but I think the Win7 64bit has helped. I am sure the graphics card helped as well. I did have a 9800GT but managed to fry it, don't know how, it was not overclocked and I've never fried one before.DaveEDIT I am using the FSPlimiter to limit FPS to 20.E8400 at 3.6GHz anad Nvidia 460GTX with 1GB memory. Win7 64bit 4GB RAM.

This is really odd - we have several people at PMDG with GTX460s and they get AA just fine with it unchecked... really sounds like somehow it's not overriding the Enhance Only flag or something. Can't believe that would be hardware/brand related - these cards are all basically the same exact thing made using Nvidia's reference design.
I fixed this issue with nVidia Inspector not forcing anti-aliasing in FSX after a few weeks of off-and-on messing with it. Know all I had to do?Disable DX10 preview in FSX. That's it. I never thought to mess with that setting, until I had to disable it to get texturing to show up on the PIC 737 I'd just reinstalled. When I disabled DX10 preview, voila, instant anti-aliasing. Go figure, huh? I guess I missed that somewhere along the line.

eVGA ended up replacing my fried GTX285 (i know it had the life warranty, but i didnt register within 30 days... didnt matter!)I just received a GTX470 as a replacement... Not quite a 5XX series, but you cant beat a free replacement! If it runs the same as my 285 ill be happy!

<--------------->
Mike Murawski

When I run x16 AF + 8xSQ AA in Inspector my FPS drop to the mid teens in bad weather and it's jerky as hell. If I set AF to app controlled, I get 25-30 FPS and it looks the same as far as I can tell:noaf.pngAm I missing something?